PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Richardon pro day Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't rely too highly on any one factor -- performance on the field among them. A college WR's production often tells you more about his team's offense than about him. And if performance on the field were all that really counted, the Patriots would never have dreamed of drafting Matt Cassel, who had less than 200 yards passing in his whole college career...but terrific measurables. (How 'bout a 6'4" 222 lb. QB with a 34" vertical and a 4.06 shuttle?)

Film, measurables, workouts, interviews, candid chats with coaches, etc. etc. It all counts. And even so you just get it to the level of a weighted crapshoot. :rolleyes:
Well said. Having come from Charlie Weiss' program, the Pats had access to detailed information from a source who knows what the team wants in its players. All that's left is for Richardson to show and grow in a position of great need on this team. Let's hope the positive development continues.

Film, measurables, workouts, interviews, candid chats with coaches, etc. etc. It all counts. And even so you just get it to the level of a weighted crapshoot. :rolleyes:

The most underrated part of drafting is what happens to the guy AFTER he is drafted. The reason there is so much variability is that all of this data, whether workout or gamefilm based is about what the guy DID.

I firmly believe that if Brady had been drafted to some other team that wanted him to do different things, or never gave him a shot because of his low pedigree and draft position then he might be nothing but a backup somewhere still fighting every year to prove he should be the starter. And he would not have the skills that he has today. There is no magic talisman that gives you super powers. They are developed and nurtured.

We're all a product of the environment we end up in, as well as our "God given talents."

Last edited:
Just to show I'm open minded I just drafted Dwayne Jarrett in my fantasy draft - production over 40 times, baby :D

My poor Binky Mills had eye popping production in college (most receptions by a TE in his SR year?). Unfortunately, at the NFL level, athletic ability (inlcuding size) does seem to trump college production.

I like what I see so far out of Richardson. Hopefully he can follow up his strong 1st game and practices with another solid effort vs Titans and earn himself a roster spot. Every time I've been at camp he seems to stand out. We might have a late round gem here.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

August 13, 2007
Day 14, 1st practice
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
Richardson is rising. Rookie Mike Richardson followed up his generally strong effort in the preseason opener -- when he had solid coverage down the left sideline and broke open a long pass -- by intercepting a long pass from Matt Cassel down the right sideline that was intended for Chris Dunlap. He crashed to the field after making the play. It will be interesting to see if Richardson, who has some nice ball skills, gets a chance to play against top competition in the second preseason game.

Many of the players drafted in the late rds who go on to succeed exhibit exceptional athleticism in certain pre-draft drills. BF brought Richardson to our attention as an example of that. Many of the high rd picks who fail exhibit marginal athleticism in certain pre-draft drills. The challenge is to understand which drills are pertinent to which positions, and what is the benchmark score at each drill for each position. The fact that teams make mistakes is not proof that pre-draft drills are folly, and the draft a crap-shoot. Those mistakes illustrate that some teams understand how to prioritize and sort pre-draft information better than others.

I was going to say you were representing one side pretty well, but your going way off the deep end with the importance of drills now.

100% of players that succeed in the NFL prove they can perform at an NFL level during games.

Drills evaluate ability to do drills which is one aspect of football athleticism.

And athleticism is one aspect of football playing ability.

Nobody's saying it's folly, It's just a way of measuring theoretical ability on a football field.

Having said that, some good players fail because of lack of size/strength speed.

I really think there's a range of acceptable times that can be overcome by technique and training.

When the gaps too big, however, the athleticism is insufficient.

Let's say 50 cornerbacks have the speed/quickness cones whatever.

Some are at the top athletically, but bottom otherwise, some have both.

Maybe 20 have the other good qualities to succeed. They have to learn, or be in a scheme that maximizes their good points and doesn't force them to rely on athleticism too much.

I used ice cream cones for my run and still pulled some horrendous times. What up?

I believe you're supposed to run around the cones, not eat them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST