PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Days 2017

So . . . 1st round if we trade Butler or Jimmy G? ;)

I'm surprised he hasn't made a more significant jump up boards in the process. But then with this TE draft class I probably shouldn't be.

I'm surprised he hasn't made a more significant jump up boards in the process. But then with this TE draft class I probably shouldn't be.

Usually there would be at least one thing you could hang your hat on and say " well _____ is the reason he isn't higher, but we love all the rest." With him, what is it?

In a league that has so many struggles developing and keeping offensive linemen, you would think there would be a much higher regard for TEs that can block.

I have to imagine someone out there would have enough sense to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. I am looking at Detroit as a primary landing spot for him, or possibly Tennessee.

Usually there would be at least one thing you could hang your hat on and say " well _____ is the reason he isn't higher, but we love all the rest." With him, what is it?

Lack of height and lack of explosive plays on tape* is my best guess.

* Not his fault, there's not that much opportunity in a run heavy Iowa offense.

That's all I can come up with as well. Granted, I would far prefer someone 6'6, but when everything else lines up, it's poor scouting to rely so much on measuring tape.

Speaking of Iowa, how's this for our next slot guy?

EDIT: Apparently there have already been quite a few jokes on social media about him being the next Patriots receiver. The numbers make it easy, but the fact that he's an undersized white kid probably does the trick. Oh, and he wears 83 and returns punts. Welker redux?

Last edited:

Maybe not size, but visible production.

Kittle is bigger than Engram, though Engram has 4 years of significant receving production to Kittle's 2 years. OTOH, Kittle is the same size as Njoku, but Njoku had greater production in his 2 years.

To some degree, it also could be that he was originally ranked relatively low on the scouting reports from the two major scouting co-ops that 80% of the teams and most of the media gurus subscribe to, and is just struggling to overcome that.

Speaking of Iowa, how's this for our next slot guy?

EDIT: Apparently there have already been quite a few jokes on social media about him being the next Patriots receiver. The numbers make it easy, but the fact that he's an undersized white kid probably does the trick. Oh, and he wears 83 and returns punts. Welker redux?

CBS lists 1000 WR prospects. McCarron didn't even make their list.

So, I'm guessing maybe a UDFA? ;)

Always great to see this . no matter the prospect..

MAINE

One team sent a representative to Maine's pro day, and it's not surprising it was the Patriots, who 1) are close by, and 2) never leave a stone unturned. New England dispatched two of its scouts to take a look at seven players (one in particular) work out indoors on FieldTurf.

» DL Patrick Ricard (6-3 3/8, 300) ran the 40 in 5.00 and 5.05 seconds, had a 36-inch vertical, an 8-10 broad jump, a 4.55-second short shuttle, a 7.52-second three-cone, and 33 bench lifts. He's a projected free agent.

Always great to see this . no matter the prospect..

MAINE

One team sent a representative to Maine's pro day, and it's not surprising it was the Patriots, who 1) are close by, and 2) never leave a stone unturned. New England dispatched two of its scouts to take a look at seven players (one in particular) work out indoors on FieldTurf.

» DL Patrick Ricard (6-3 3/8, 300) ran the 40 in 5.00 and 5.05 seconds, had a 36-inch vertical, an 8-10 broad jump, a 4.55-second short shuttle, a 7.52-second three-cone, and 33 bench lifts. He's a projected free agent.

His Seahawks' "TEF metric" is 3.32 ... which is very good.

Apparently Jamal Adams hit 4.33 today at his pro day. Top 5 lock?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back