PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Days 2017

Eastern Washington pro day:

Thus far in the testing portion defensive end/outside linebacker Samson Ebukam has been the star of the show.

Ebukam measured 6020/240 pounds, posted a vertical jump of 39.5 inches and a broad of 10-foot-10 after completing 25 reps on the bench.

The Detroit Lions and Arizona Cardinals timed him at 4.44s with the wind and 4.47s against the wind. His three cone timed 6.98s while his short shuttle clocked 4.35s.

Yes, he was:

6-3
10 3/8
34 6/8

He was listed at 6'4 at the Combine, so he's probably somewhere in the 6036 range. He hit 4.7 in the 40 and 9'7 in the broad jump. His coach gave him a glowing recommendation in interviews, saying he's a film junkie, hard worker, and will do absolutely anything he's asked to do by the coaches. Pretty good day for him overall. The clips I've seen from his workout look great.

Thanks.

I don't know what to make of this guy. His sack #s are excellent, but at 281 lbs, he doesn't have the twitchy explosiveness of the other top DEs. I have no doubt that he would be a terrific edge-setter, but I do have doubt that he would be worth a top-75 pick, or even a top-100 pick, at least to us. However, should those top DEs all be gone by 72, and our need at OL is then filled with Dion Dawkins/Ethan Pocic/Dorian Johnson, then I suppose I would not mind seeing 96 used for Walker.
I also wonder about the possibility of his adding a dozen pounds and playing more of a 3-Tech role here, the risk being that the extra weight could cause him to lose whatever explosiveness he has in him…and that would still leave us with a big need for a twitchy DE.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I don't know what to make of this guy. His sack #s are excellent, but at 281 lbs, he doesn't have the twitchy explosiveness of the other top DEs. I have no doubt that he would be a terrific edge-setter, but I do have doubt that he would be worth a top-75 pick, or even a top-100 pick, at least to us. However, should those top DEs all be gone by 75, and our need at OL is then filled at 72 with Dion Dawkins/Ethan Pocic/Dorian Johnson, then I suppose I would not mind seeing 96 used for Walker.
I also wonder about the possibility of his adding a dozen pounds and playing more of a 3-Tech role here, the risk being that the extra weight could cause him to lose whatever explosiveness he has in him…and that would still leave us with a big need for a twitchy DE.

I totally get what you're saying, and personally I'd really like a true edge threat as well, but how often have we really employed a guy like that? Mark Anderson maybe? Even Chandler Jones reduced to 3-tech a lot, and based on his testing numbers, he was no athletic freak. Just food for thought.

Anyone catch any numbers for Eddie Jackson? He was supposed to workout today, but I've found absolutely zilch online about it.

Basham apparently improved on his numbers at his pro day. Of note is that the Patriots are rumored to have shown interest in him. I could see it. He's exactly the kind of player we usually look at for DE. More of a big power guy instead of a twitchy speed rusher, but he is still one of the smoothest pass rushers in this class. I like him a lot.

Pro Day March 29 | Draft Analyst

Basham apparently improved on his numbers at his pro day. Of note is that the Patriots are rumored to have shown interest in him. I could see it. He's exactly the kind of player we usually look at for DE. More of a big power guy instead of a twitchy speed rusher, but he is still one of the smoothest pass rushers in this class. I like him a lot.

Pro Day March 29 | Draft Analyst

Well BB worked him out apparently. And I agree that he looks Patriot-y. He's the one that reminds me most of Chandler Jones in this draft.

Well BB worked him out apparently. And I agree that he looks Patriot-y. He's the one that reminds me most of Chandler Jones in this draft.

More than Taco? I had cooled on him as a prospect, but watching his pro day brought back vivid images of Jones moving around. I'm so torn.

More than Taco? I had cooled on him as a prospect, but watching his pro day brought back vivid images of Jones moving around. I'm so torn.

Hmmm. All I can say is that the first time I watched Basham, Chandler Jones was the first name that came to my mind.

Hmmm. All I can say is that the first time I watched Basham, Chandler Jones was the first name that came to my mind.

New DB video of him today, by the way. I remember watching this game and coming away impressed that someone actually got the better of Garcia so many times. Not a perfect game, but the positive traits absolutely leap off the screen. I'm still surprised he only jumped 32.5" -- I was certain his explosion numbers would be off the charts.

New DB video of him today, by the way. I remember watching this game and coming away impressed that someone actually got the better of Garcia so many times. Not a perfect game, but the positive traits absolutely leap off the screen. I'm still surprised he only jumped 32.5" -- I was certain his explosion numbers would be off the charts.

Seems like the refs weren't calling offensive holding that day. OTOH, it seemed like Basham also lost track of the ball-carrier a couple-three times.

Seems like the refs weren't calling offensive holding that day. OTOH, it seemed like Basham also lost track of the ball-carrier a couple-three times.

Yeah, he's got some work to do, for sure, but physically he's the best profile fit for what the Patriots usually look for that we've seen in some time. Here he is compared with Sheard, who had 33 1/2" arms and 10" hands:

Height: 6027
Weight: 264
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.77
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'07
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.65
3-Cone Drill: 7.34

Basham with 34 1/4" arms and 10 1/4" hands:

Height: 6035
Weight: 269
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70 (4.64 at pro day)
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2 (32 1/2 at pro day)
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
3-Cone Drill: 7.20

Basham literally wins in every single category, and was also more productive in college, albeit at a lower level of competition. He's quicker, more explosive, bigger, has better get off, longer arms -- there's not much not to like. I have him rated higher than Sheard was coming out of Pittsburgh, for whatever that's worth.

EDIT: Nice breakdown here with video clips and analysis: 2017 Draft: Here's why the Cowboys are wining, dining DE Tarell Basham

Yeah, he's got some work to do, for sure, but physically he's the best profile fit for what the Patriots usually look for that we've seen in some time. Here he is compared with Sheard, who had 33 1/2" arms and 10" hands:

Height: 6027
Weight: 264
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.77
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'07
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.65
3-Cone Drill: 7.34

Basham with 34 1/4" arms and 10 1/4" hands:

Height: 6035
Weight: 269
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70 (4.64 at pro day)
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Vertical Jump: 31 1/2 (32 1/2 at pro day)
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
3-Cone Drill: 7.20

Basham literally wins in every single category, and was also more productive in college, albeit at a lower level of competition. He's quicker, more explosive, bigger, has better get off, longer arms -- there's not much not to like. I have him rated higher than Sheard was coming out of Pittsburgh, for whatever that's worth.

EDIT: Nice breakdown here with video clips and analysis: 2017 Draft: Here's why the Cowboys are wining, dining DE Tarell Basham

Hey! You don't need to sell me! :)

When I started looking at DE prospects for this draft, Basham was probably the first guy who stood out to me.

Georgia Southern RB Matt Breida had quite the pro day. I liked him las year but he seemed to disappear of the radar.

40 - 4.37
VJ - 42"
BJ - 11'2"
BP - 23

Only 190lbs unfortunately so doesn't really fit what we need right now. But for the PS?

Hernando County native Matt Breida's eye-popping pro day numbers

He disappeared because their new coach thought it would be a great idea to turn a triple-option school into a spread offense one.

Southern's coach was so bad that he even lost to a school with no head coach: Georgia State. (we had just fired our coach)

Breida is very explosive and it's a shame he wasn't able to display it this year because of a coach personnel decisions.

He disappeared because their new coach thought it would be a great idea to turn a triple-option school into a spread offense one.

Southern's coach was so bad that he even lost to a school with no head coach: Georgia State. (we had just fired our coach)

Breida is very explosive and it's a shame he wasn't able to display it this year because of a coach personnel decisions.

Good information to know. Looks like he was barely used and not involved in the passing game, either. His first two seasons were dynamite.

We've been taking a look at day 3 tall WRs. Here's another that might need to be considered.

WR Francis Owusu (6-2 1/2, 221) wasn't invited to the combine but he produced some eye-opening numbers on Thursday. He ran the 40 in 4.38 and 4.35 seconds, had a 39-inch vertical, a 10-foot-7 broad jump, a 4.13-second short shuttle, a 7.07-second three-cone, and added 12 bench lifts.

Pro day results: Stanford, Ohio St., Utah, East Carolina, SDSU

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back