PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Richardon pro day Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last hundreth of a second doesn't mean much. But it also establishes that a guy is not far outside the "norm" for that pro position. Thats not to say he can or can't play OTIS was as slow as cold molasses. His head and instincts more than made up. Richardson has the athletic ability to rank among those who play the game at the pro level. That is all that you need to know and can learn from the artificial athletic measures.

Richardson seesm to consistently end up in position to make INTs; that requires intincts to put yourself there.

I agree and it's a lot more than one hundredth of a second.

Eliminate the runners and put two guys with stopwatches, a starters gun and a light switch and see how close they come to the same time.

I'd be very curious to see the results.

Richardson seems to have enough speed to play the position. So do 100 guys every year who tank, or are not drafted.

To be fair, I agree with this.

If there are large differences. There's a threshold considered "statistically insignificant" in any statistical measure.

Considering field conditions, relative health of participant that day , relative accuracy of measurement, (stop watches operated by humans?) saying one guy is faster than another based on hundredths of a second doesn't mean much.

Just look at a single player who's been timed multiple times. He's probably been timed faster and slower than the player he's supposed to be "faster than".

I think the numbers people are talking about AREN'T 40 numbers. THAT is an overrated event. It's the cone drill and other less "sexy" ones that this organization has especially focused on. We all remember the things that attracted the Pats to Deion Branch, for example. It wasn't his 40.

I think the numbers people are talking about AREN'T 40 numbers. THAT is an overrated event. It's the cone drill and other less "sexy" ones that this organization has especially focused on. We all remember the things that attracted the Pats to Deion Branch, for example. It wasn't his 40.

It does say something about agility. If you look like a doof, you might have flexibility problems.

I'm mostly talking about raw numbers rather than observing these events.

Big cones, small cone, lot's of other variables too.

Teams that use these to estimate a favored prospects ceiling athletically, good.

Teams that base their draft on them=LOL!!

Maybe Kraft was quick on the trigger when he timed Tebucky.:D

Teams that use these to estimate a favored prospects ceiling athletically, good.

Teams that base their draft on them=LOL!!

We, sir, are in agreement.

I like Richardson too, but his eye-popping 3-cone time was deceiving. ND used small cones instead of the normal large ones, enabling quicker pivots. This accounts for the fast cone times across the board for ND prospects.

Fascinating! Just curious, where did you come across this nugget? First I've heard of it.

I have tp ask how you knew this:

A) Were you and do you as a general rule check the accuracy of all our statistical quotes??

B) Do you have a steel trap mind that captures and remembers all stats from pro days and the combine??

C) He is your brother and you just had to get it right??

Just wondering how you could know this?? ;)

well its pretty simple. in fact, he ran 1 of the best 40s this year at the combine. his combine performance iwth his 40 yard dash and his 27 reps which is unbelievable for a CB his size.

a guy at Hobb's size that fast and strong, its pretty unique.

well its pretty simple. in fact, he ran 1 of the best 40s this year at the combine. his combine performance with his 40 yard dash and his 27 reps which is unbelievable for a CB his size.

a guy at Hobb's size that fast and strong, its pretty unique.

I was joking with you a bit...however, what you describe here coupled with the what I felt was a positive outing from Richardson the other night may point to diamond in the rough here??

If he can play his way onto this team and contribute in this area of need along with Meriweather - that would be huge, now and for years to follow!!

I was joking with you a bit...however, what you describe here coupled with the what I felt was a positive outing from Richardson the other night may point to diamond in the rough here??

If he can play his way onto this team and contribute in this area of need along with Meriweather - that would be huge, now and for years to follow!!

i have no problem with Richardson. he may have run a 4.4 but the reason he was considered slow was because his game speed since he got beat a few times. coulda been just a bad overall defense but i like him..hes done very well in camp and with Asante out..hes getting more of a chance to prove himself and make a push for a roster spot

Fascinating! Just curious, where did you come across this nugget? First I've heard of it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#ND
If you look at these ND 3-cone scores, you will see an interesting trend:
Brady Quinn, QB: 6.79
Derek Landri, DT: 7.08
Mike Richardson, CB: 6.27
Marcus Freeman, TE: 6.83

These scores were if not the best, in the top 2 or 3 for their positions in the whole country. While these players are athletic on their own merit, it seems likely that the "tiny" cones contributed to this scoring anomaly, and that ND gamed the system.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#ND
If you look at these ND 3-cone scores, you will see an interesting trend:
Brady Quinn, QB: 6.79
Derek Landri, DT: 7.08
Mike Richardson, CB: 6.27
Marcus Freeman, TE: 6.83

These scores were if not the best, in the top 2 or 3 for their positions in the whole country. While these players are athletic on their own merit, it seems likely that the "tiny" cones contributed to this scoring anomaly, and that ND gamed the system.

"But Father Flanaghan, aren't the cones too small"?:D

i don't care how fast someone runs around little cones...i just want to see what they do on the field...i think BB feels the same way
:agree: :ditto:

Take a guy like Tommy Z from ND. What are his numbers? not that great but look at what the guy does on the field. Always making a big play and always around the ball.
He was a huge disappointment to me last year - use Harrison as an example if you like but Tom Zbikowski is not a good example to use.

I'm going to remember this in March - you guys had better not be talking about measurables.
I never talk about measurables. I always remember Mike Mamula.

Last edited:
I neve talk about measurables. I always remember Mike Mamula.
If you haven't and won't, great . . . but I'll be watching :D

Belichick drafts measurables guys though. Forget Bethel but Watson was a measuarables draftee too - he had very little production but sick numbers. He hasn't been a stud but he's been worth his draft position.

Last edited:
I'm going to remember this in March - you guys had better not be talking about measurables.

I love the draft coverage BF, don't get me wrong.

It just cracks me up when a guy runs a 4.4 and he's slow because another guy ran a 4.38. LOL!! I hope you get my point on that one.

Like I said before, great for predicting someone's ceiling athletically, but if your watching the guy make plays, trust your judgment.

If you haven't and won't, great . . . but I'll be watching :D

Belichick drafts measurables guys though. Forget Bethel but Watson was a measuarables draftee too - he had very little production but sick numbers. He hasn't been a stud but he's been worth his draft position.
When it comes down to it I don't post much at all on draft prospects. I listen, to people like dry heat, box, ray clay t-shirt etc. When I post is during the draft itself,watching a BB draft is tough for me because they make unorthadox moves in commparison to other teams,and I mean good drafting teams like Baltimore. But in the end it all seems to work out. Although there will enevitabally be that moment when they draft someone and I'll start yelling, But Dry Heat has him rated alot lower than the guy you just picked. OR I can't even find that guys name in my draft guides.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it I don't post much at all on draft prospects. I listen, to people like dry heat, box, ray clay t-shirt etc. When I post is during the draft itself,watching a BB draft is tough for me because they make unorthadox moves in commparison to other teams,and I mean good drafting teams like Baltimore. But in the end it all seems to work out. Although there will enevitabally be that moment when they draft someone and I'll start yelling, But Dry Heat has him rated alot lower than the guy you just picked. OR I can't even find that guys name in my draft guides.

If you listen to me on the draft, you're in a lot of trouble, brother. I rely on these guys and draft sites, when I have time, but i know nothing about college football and have hardly watched a game since the 90's when I enjoyed R. Williams and Major applewhite when I lived in Texas.

Just saying, I know less than nothing, but i can read and bulls**t.:D

Last edited:
If you listen to me on the draft, you're in a lot of trouble, brother. I rely on these guys and draft sites, when I have time, but i know nothing about college football and have hardly watched a game since the 90's when I enjoyed R. Williams and Major applewhite when I lived in Texas.

Just saying, I know less than nothing, but i can read and bulls**t.:D
Thats good to know,now I'll pay more attention to Dry Heat. ;) I used to watch alot of collage football.Sometimes my observations were good (J.Taylor) sometimes not so good I told people if we could only draft Rick Mirer in 1993 we'ed be great. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey