PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Just curious but what team are you looking at as the ideal in the NFL currently? Correct mix of O and consistent D.

I'm not looking at any team, just saying we could be a more balanced team if only we had better defensive personnel, as the offense will be good regardless of major investments in that area. But a recent example would be the 2010 Packers.

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Good to see Reiss finally spotlighting a problem that's been worsening since the end of 2008.

I want a Defense... that WILL give up the big BOMB play now and then... we need to take CHANCES. BB hassn't changed his defensive attitude in years. We still play BEND and DON'T BREAK D (that is the principle at least) We need to intentionally open up segments of the field b/c any BLITZ package leaves some areas open. I would GIVE up the BIG play/ gain to get the ball back quicker, but at the same point I see this method creating more 3 and outs. BB we all love the guy, but he is stubborn and reluctant to change his philosophy.

Take the RISK commit more guys in Blitzing. It isn't like our current D is working:bricks:

There are times to contain and times to attack, being committed to either extreme leaves you vulnerable, the ultimate value lies in being able to do either one when most appropriate.

I would simply like to know why it is so easy for the steelers to find LB's and why it is so hard for the pats to do the same......

I can recall for years, the homers going on and on how this guy don't fit the scheme and that guy don't fit the scheme......do any of them fit the scheme under BB right now? the best guy (mayo) even seems uncomfortable out there half the time......

I think it is because of coaching.......how else would a rookie like chris carter look like an all-pro compared to anyone the pats had out there? the LB unit is a bumbling bunch of fools, case closed......

There are times to contain and times to attack, being committed to either extreme leaves you vulnerable, the ultimate value lies in being able to do either one when most appropriate.

we can't contain shyt. :mad:

our DB's suck... Teams are just going to sit back and THROW the ball on us b/c of limited pressure. We need to use more players and more blitzes b/c what we are doing now sucks.:bricks:

I agree his decisions in the secondary are questionable so far. Unlike many coaches he places a higher premium on guys that get it and play the system, than on their perceived value or draft position.

I'm on record as being clueless about his recent decisions at DB, but there's no one who has more balls to make unpopular decisions he believes are in the best long term (within the season) interest of the team, so I'll wait to see what he comes up with.

He's on a roll with most winning seasons in a row, most 14 win or higher seasons and undoubtedly many more, and these aren't ancient history. 14 wins last year with a very green defense, tight ends, FA running back, etc.

I may get pissed, but I wouldn't trade a coach/gm with the balls to cut someone who isn't playing hard, or within the system, who concurrently stockpiles for the future, giving him the ability to do so.

I would simply like to know why it is so easy for the steelers to find LB's and why it is so hard for the pats to do the same......

I can recall for years, the homers going on and on how this guy don't fit the scheme and that guy don't fit the scheme......do any of them fit the scheme under BB right now? the best guy (mayo) even seems uncomfortable out there half the time......

I think it is because of coaching.......how else would a rookie like chris carter look like an all-pro compared to anyone the pats had out there? the LB unit is a bumbling bunch of fools, case closed......

It's sad. I really wanted Chris Carter in the draft but all the people on the draft forum called me an idiot because Carter was too small and didn't fit our scheme. Then he's out there on Sunday chasing around Brady. Also wanted DeMarco Murray. But was told he wasn't a good RB. Meanwhile Vereen and Ridley are rotting on the sidelines all Sunday.

It's sad. I really wanted Chris Carter in the draft but all the people on the draft forum called me an idiot because Carter was too small and didn't fit our scheme. Then he's out there on Sunday chasing around Brady.

Success in other schemes is completely independent compared to success in the Pats' scheme. Anyone who thinks he would have fit in NE is still an idiot.

Success in other schemes is completely independent compared to success in the Pats' scheme. Anyone who thinks he would have fit in NE is still an idiot.

Because the guys we have now clearly fit the scheme so well

:rolleyes:

It's sad. I really wanted Chris Carter in the draft but all the people on the draft forum called me an idiot because Carter was too small and didn't fit our scheme. Then he's out there on Sunday chasing around Brady. Also wanted DeMarco Murray. But was told he wasn't a good RB. Meanwhile Vereen and Ridley are rotting on the sidelines all Sunday.

Outside of one game against the worst rush defense in the NFL, and to a lesser extent against the Eagles, Murray has been pretty pedestrian.

Chris Carter has a total of three tackles on the season.

Yeah, if only we had those guys.

I don't know about that, I think he could have been a rotational OLB in the scheme we run now. He wouldn't look that out of place.

Does anyone else wonder if BB makes out of the blue moves just to swim against the current?

The selections of system greats like Wheatley, Butler, Crable and Wilhite were definitely the way to go.

The selections of system greats like Wheatley, Butler, Crable and Wilhite were definitely the way to go.

Good job naming 4 undersized guys to counter my point that the Pats shouldn't draft undersized guys.

Good job naming 4 undersized guys to counter my point that the Pats shouldn't draft undersized guys.

Actually, I was naming guys that WERE taken to point out the silliness of deriding those who weren't as not being guys who'd have fit the system. It's not as if Cunningham is undersized, an he's now getting DNP-CDs, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, since it's only year two, and I listed guys who've already moved on.

Part of the problem here is that the scheme doesn't seem to fit many players these days. A 2-gap defense demands a lot from the players who play it. You have to have superior personnel to play it effectively. Linebackers who can stack the run, rush the passer and also play the pass don't grow on trees. You might get lucky and find a Mike Vrabel in free agency, but, basically, if you want to get one of those guys you need to be picking way up in the draft. L. Taylor and W. McGiniest type athletic freaks usually don't fall to far. As the college game goes more to the spread, there are going to be fewer and fewer of those players still.

Crable was 6'5, 250lbs, not exactly undersized. And the bigger/heavier they are the less likely they're going to be able to cover.

The Kool-aid drinkers will always defense Belichick.This defense is embarrasing and BB has alot to do with it.He has set back this defense another 4 to 5 years.Its a joke!!!!Its been the same crap for the last 2 years.

Also the offense has been a joke.I dont wanna hear about stats!!Sick of it.This team has no wrs!!!!I been beating a dead horse on this issue.

Interesting comment from Mike Reiss tonight on Sports Final:

"I think you ask the question, could Leigh Bodden have helped this secondary? And that takes me one step further and I ask the question, is Bill Belichick's schemes and the decision making he's making personnel-wise, do we need to revisit this a little bit? I know you don't want to look too much into one game when you ask big picture questions like that, but this just didn't even look competitive to me in that aspect of the game."

That's a direct quote - just to end the speculation of me paraphrasing and misquoting him.

Pretty bold statement by Mike. Obviously a loss just exacerbates things, but I thought the fact he mentioned it was pretty interesting.

I think Reiss was spot on, and that's what frustrates me more than anything. I can live with missing on draft picks, because nobody drafts with the benefit of hindsight. I would love to have had Karlos Dansby, Greg Jennings, and Mike Wallace over Watson, Jackson and Tate, but every team has those.

What I can't stand is moves that are made that immediately work to the detriment of the team. Cutting Meriweather, Sanders, Butler, and Bodden was, to put it bluntly, ridiculous. I thought that about Sanders and Meriweather at the time that it happened, and I was only okay with cutting Butler to the extent that it meant Bodden and Dowling were ready to contribute. And let's not even get started on cutting Bodden exactly 1 day before IRing Dowling. Either a) activating Deaderick was so important that they couldn't wait 1 day to see if Dowling was healthy or b) Belichick thinks that Molden is a better football player than Bodden is. I don't buy either line of reasoning.

Last edited:

You have to kill him with the draft picks!!!!This team doesnt spend money on defensive free agents.He built this lousy defense through the draft!!!!!He always passes on defensive linemen.I was befuddled by his selections of 2 running backs in this year's draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes