PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Hodgey - you come on here and bring nothing of any consequence to the threads. I've yet to see you actually contribute something meaningful.

Had you actually bothered to read his post, you'd see that it was relevant since it destroys the argument he was making.

The only posts that I harp on regarding spelling are those of trolls who don't actually bring anything to the thread. Such as yourself.

If you actually stopped with your ridiculousness and read the thread (which you clearly haven't) you'd see that I don't "defend the coach at all costs".

The 4th and 2 call last year was a vote of confidence in the OFFENSE. It didn't say anything about the defense..

The onside kick was actually a vote of confidence in the defense. Why? Because BB felt that, even if the onside kick wasn't recovered, that the defense could hold the Steelers and the Pats could get the ball back.

As for your questions:
There are still 9 games left to play. As it stands right now, no. They won't win a play-off game. Things will change between now and then. I saw improvement out of McCourty yesterday. I liked what I saw out of the D-line again, though the Blitzing was poorly timed all game long. Improvements need to be made in all stages. The offense, defense, and special teams. But that is not to say that they all suck. They don't. They just all made mistakes yesterday..

What does Kraft stepping up to the plate financially have to do with winning? I would think that anyone that has followed the NFL for more than 6 months would know that MONEY doesn't buy a successful team. The Redskins are proof of that.

The Pats have had a lot of picks since 2008. The Pats have also had a lot of turnover on their roster since 2008. Be it through injury, retirement, or guys just not cutting it. Do you have a point with this? MMM.. not that I can see.

The D hasn't been horrible the last 2 years. In fact, it was the offense that cost the Pats the play-off games against the Ravens and the Jets. People like yourself don't understand looking beyond the obvious. You also tend to ignore the salary cap. You want to ignore that the Pats were and are still rebuilding their defense. Getting younger players coached up (Chung, Arrington, McCourty, Brace, Cunningham). Getting veterans that can help lead.

Teams are not built over-night. I understand that. You have to have the right blend of players. If you don't, you fail.. Only time will tell where this group will fall.. Either as a team or as a group of individuals..

Delusional is the word that comes to mind when reading your posts in this thread. What part of 32nd out of 32 do you not understand?

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Ihedigbo no way! I don't want that ex-New York Jet trash on the New England Patriots roster.

Should we get rid of Woodhead too? Are you telling me you wouldnt want Revis if we could pull it off?

I have seen enough of the other safeties to know that I wouldn't trust any of them as even a 4th safety right now. I grant that there's time before the season ends for that to change but, right now, they are a truly awful trio, IMO.

The problem is that they've been trying the "It's ok if we kind of suck there..." thing since they decided to move Seymour and gamble on Green in 2009, and it's been a miserable failure come playoff time.

Even Tebow would light up this defense for 350 yards. Watch the scheming start now. Simply dink and dunk on Pats D to play ball control and keep Brady on sidelines.

Playing 4-3 with this personnel has made BB the laughing stock of NFL D coaches. Game has passed him by from personnel standpoint. Trying to get 270 LB to set the edge stop run is completely useless in today's PASS PASS PASS NFL.

Agreed.

Posters on here need to remember that BB won a SB with a guy named Earthwind Moreland. Wait who?? Exactly. As bad as the defense looks, there's still alot of football left for BB to get the secondarys sh*t together.
However, my koolaid has a funny taste lately. ;)

You are kidding right??? That team also had Samuels, Harrison, MCGinnest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, and Warren. Don't even try to compare the two teams. It looks foolish.

Even Tebow would light up this defense for 350 yards. Watch the scheming start now. Simply dink and dunk on Pats D to play ball control and keep Brady on sidelines.

Playing 4-3 with this personnel has made BB the laughing stock of NFL D coaches. Game has passed him by from personnel standpoint. Trying to get 270 LB to set the edge stop run is completely useless in today's PASS PASS PASS NFL.
You should give BB a call and see if you can sit down with him and explain to him what defensive football is all about. I am sure that you have had these epiphanies while BB has sat there wondering why he could only go 14 and 2 last year.

You should give BB a call and see if you can sit down with him and explain to him what defensive football is all about. I am sure that you have had these epiphanies while BB has sat there wondering why he could only go 14 and 2 last year.
You are aware that internal reviews can sometimes be the hardest organizational processes to perform? People have the right to question BB, even through all his genius.

That said, I'd still back him 99 times out of 100 to get it right. 2011 is a weird season thanks to the lockout.

Last edited:

You are aware that internal reviews can sometimes be the hardest organizational processes to perform? People have the right to question BB, even through all his genius.

That said, I'd still back him 99 times out of 100 to get it right. 2011 is a weird season thanks to the lockout.
I have absolutely no problem with questioning anything if it is done reasonably. To take one loss to the defending Conf Champs on the road and turn it into should we fire one of the most successful coaches in NFL history, though, is stupid.
To find a defiecincy on the team and speak of it as if this is the only deficiency on any team is foolish, and to take a team that has been the most successful in the league and continues to play at a high level and trash it over one loss on the road to good team is ignorant.

There is nothing wrong with questioning some of BBs decisions, but the question the overall job he is and has been doing is just not dealing with reality.
Thats what really sucks about this board sometimes. It becomes a moronic back and forth where 'the entitled' manifestly exaggerate negatives then hide behind the mantra that anyone who doesnt agree with them is in denial.

Talk about this team like one that has enough issues to be 5 and 2 after 14 and 2 and also be beatable (like every other team is) in the playoffs, and its a productive discussion. Talk about them like they are the 76 Bucs and BB is Rich Kotite and Matt Millen rolled into one and you have a large contingent on this board.

I have absolutely no problem with questioning anything if it is done reasonably. To take one loss to the defending Conf Champs on the road and turn it into should we fire one of the most successful coaches in NFL history, though, is stupid.
To find a defiecincy on the team and speak of it as if this is the only deficiency on any team is foolish, and to take a team that has been the most successful in the league and continues to play at a high level and trash it over one loss on the road to good team is ignorant.

There is nothing wrong with questioning some of BBs decisions, but the question the overall job he is and has been doing is just not dealing with reality.
Thats what really sucks about this board sometimes. It becomes a moronic back and forth where 'the entitled' manifestly exaggerate negatives then hide behind the mantra that anyone who doesnt agree with them is in denial.

Talk about this team like one that has enough issues to be 5 and 2 after 14 and 2 and also be beatable (like every other team is) in the playoffs, and its a productive discussion. Talk about them like they are the 76 Bucs and BB is Rich Kotite and Matt Millen rolled into one and you have a large contingent on this board.
Given our general attitudes towards one another I tend to agree with you.

Most owners would strip power away. A great owner steps in at some point.
"Most" owners? Quick, list me all the owners who have stripped away power from a GM who was currently 5-2, and was 14-3 in what had been predicted by most to be a 8 or 9 win transition/rebuilding year the previous season.

Kraft seems happy, being tight on the purse strings
Ah yes, bring on the 'Kraft is cheap' BS while we're at it.

Did McCourty get beat often yesterday? Just wondering, because I didn't see much of him, so I'm assuming he played pretty well. Maybe he was getting more help from the safeties which could have opened up things for the Steelers in the middle.

Did McCourty get beat often yesterday? Just wondering, because I didn't see much of him, so I'm assuming he played pretty well. Maybe he was getting more help from the safeties which could have opened up things for the Steelers in the middle.

he a long with everybody else were playing 15 yards off so no he didn't get "beat".

For a team with twice as many draft picks as most other teams, the lack of defensive talent and WR speed is striking.
Patriots get the exact same number of draft picks as every other NFL team each year, seven. Sorry, but that's a bogus argument in my opinion.

Belichick is not who we thought he was as a team architect. Has not been able to rebuild team after he lost all that talent (most of which he was handed) early in the decade.
Please check out and compare how every other NFL team that has made it to the Super Bowl or conference championship game and then rebuilt their team over the last decade has fared in comparison to the Pats rebuilding, and then get back to me.

While your at it you may want to check those three championship rosters to see how many Pete Carroll drafted.

The problem is that they've been trying the "It's ok if we kind of suck there..." thing since they decided to move Seymour and gamble on Green in 2009, and it's been a miserable failure come playoff time.

Fair enough, I'm 100% with you on the Seymour gamble. The real problem there, IMO, is that you need to have excellent players elsewhere on the field if you want to effectively scheme around a lack of talent. That's why the 2004 team could drag in a couple bums off the street at CB and win anyways.

Fair enough, I'm 100% with you on the Seymour gamble. The real problem there, IMO, is that you need to have excellent players elsewhere on the field if you want to effectively scheme around a lack of talent. That's why the 2004 team could drag in a couple bums off the street at CB and win anyways.

Exactly. The problem with the team isn't really that some safety sucks, although that's obviously an issue. The problem is that there aren't enough great players to make up for the terrible players. There's only so much that coaching and scheming can cover up for.

You are kidding right??? That team also had Samuels, Harrison, MCGinnest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, and Warren. Don't even try to compare the two teams. It looks foolish.

I love how everyone took the time to quote the first comment, but never bothered to read the second comment explaining that i was only talking about the secondary. Its my own fault really. I was tired, and did not make my point clear enough. Its always a mistake to do that on this board. There's alot of posters here, who have issues with reading ;)

Oh, and 'black and blue 1111', please, never mention Samuels in the same sentence as those other players again. He doesnt deserve it.

Oh, and 'black and blue 1111', please, never mention Samuels in the same sentence as those other players again. He doesnt deserve it.
Neither does Leigh Bodden as a starting cornerback for the New England Patriots.

Time to start moving up for three down players rather than maneuvering down for versatility or value in the draft and FA.
The New England Patriots will have less room to maneuver in free agency during 2012 NFL Season with the following player cuts:

Leigh Bodden - $3,000,000
Ty Warren - $2,750,000
Tully Banta-Cain - $2,000,000

With the three aforementioned player cuts in 2011, the New England Patriots will incur $7,750,000 dead money cap hit for the 2012 NFL Season. Not the best way to start off managing the cap for next year.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2011 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents