PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Since someone will jump all over you for it, I'll just be the first to point out that Seymour was traded, not cut. Not that that in any way diminishes the enormous hole that his absence has left in the Pats' defense for the past two and a half years.

Thanks for the catch.

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

I certainly can't offer up suggestions as to whom would be better players than many that currently reside on this years Pats defense but, surely, there had to be far better options than what we now have?

I mean, outside of Wilfork and Mayo, the rest of the defensive roster is chalk full of JAG's. If all of them, Wilfork and Mayo exempted, are replaced by someone else next year will anyone truly be upset?

I certainly can't offer up suggestions as to whom would be better players than many that currently reside on this years Pats defense but, surely, there had to be far better options than what we now have?

I mean, outside of Wilfork and Mayo, the rest of the defensive roster is chalk full of JAG's. If all of them, Wilfork and Mayo exempted, are replaced by someone else next year will anyone truly be upset?

I wouldn't give up on some of the younger guys just yet. McCourty had a very good year last year (though that's since been long forgotten) and Dowling has looked solid when he's been able to get on the field. Same thing with Spikes. For that matter, I've liked the defense a lot better when Haynesworth is on the field, so I wouldn't completely scrap it. The safety position, Chung included, is playing like complete trash. That REALLY hurts the secondary. On top of that, staying in zone or man all of the time instead of mixing it up isn't working either. The zone got absolutely shredded yesterday.

Last edited:

He's certainly not completely free of all blame, but he knows a ton more about each situation than we do. We may never know what happened with Bodden, but does anyone really think Belichick is dumb enough to cut someone who was getting essentially starter snaps? There's something we don't know, and it's not as simple as a player being disappointed in his role. This kind of smells like the Adalius Thomas situation. It's quite possible Bodden had completely shut down in meetings and on the practice field and was on his way toward bringing other players with him. Did anyone here have any problem with cutting Thomas?

In Belichick I trust.
...not to always make the right decision, but to make the right decision more often than any poster here and as often as the best decision-makers in the NFL.

Agree completely, and the idea we should "revisit" decision making is hysterically funny, hell, when it comes to questioning personel we are the guest that never leaves, questioning personel decisions is pretty much all we ever do, we never stop "visiting" them.

Success in other schemes is completely independent compared to success in the Pats' scheme. Anyone who thinks he would have fit in NE is still an idiot.

which scheme?

the pats drafted jermaine cunningham last year.....now he doesn't fit the scheme

the way carterplayed last night, he would have done just as well as anyone the pats have......except that with the coaching he would get here, he would likely suck

Reiss is right on, your telling me cutting bodden was in the best interest of the team and gave them the best chance to win? Not buying that BS anymore sorry. Belichick and his highly questionable roster moves have set the defense back years, what we saw is what were gonna get rest of the season, a pathetic bad defense, and sorry this isn't close to a championship caliber team. I also believe the giants come in next week and hand the pats their 2nd straight loss.

We're 5-2. We lost to Pit at Pit. They have a great D and a Great QB. They are a good team. We had a bad game.

Coming in and predicting losses like we are bums does nothing for anyone. We are flawed yes but stop acting like we are 0-7 or 1-6.

If you want to put your money where your mouth is how bout you back the courage of your convictions and bet some $$$ that the Giants will end our Home winning streak.

I wouldn't give up on some of the younger guys just yet. McCourty had a very good year last year (though that's since been long forgotten) and Dowling has looked solid when he's been able to get on the field. Same thing with Spikes. For that matter, I've liked the defense a lot better when Haynesworth is on the field, so I wouldn't completely scrap it. The safety position, Chung included, is playing like complete trash. That REALLY hurts the secondary. On top of that, staying in zone or man all of the time instead of mixing it up isn't working either. The zone got absolutely shredded yesterday.

I agree that a wholesale overhaul isn't necessary. IMO, the defense "only" needs about 2 impact players and a couple more serviceable starters. But I do believe that Chung, McCourty (people need to lay off him, he's looked good the last couple of weeks), Mayo, Wilfork, and Haynesworth can all be major players on a championship-caliber defense. Among the other guys, I have no complaints about Carter or Arrington. We have guys who can be pieces to the puzzle, but the problem is that the pieces that are missing (a third NFL-caliber corner, a free safety, a LB who can cover) are glaring holes in the defense. Where we're bad, we're really bad, and even where we're okay, we're asking some guys to play above their heads.

The fact that at least two of the aforementioned glaring holes were filled by players that were cut for no apparent reason... egh.

Last edited:

I like McCourty and think he can rebound and Spikes is good in certain situations but isn't an every down player but yeah other than that it's just JAGs and old players on the line. It's just ridiculous how bad the secondary is given all of the picks we've had the last 4 years.

Bring Junior Seau back. He's probably still better than anyone on this defense not named Vince Wilfork.

I agree that a wholesale overhaul isn't necessary. IMO, the defense "only" needs about 2 impact players and a couple more serviceable starters. But I do believe that Chung, McCourty (people need to lay off him, he's looked good the last couple of weeks), Mayo, Wilfork, and Haynesworth can all be major players on a championship-caliber defense. Among the other guys, I have no complaints about Carter or Arrington. We have guys who can be pieces to the puzzle, but the problem is that the pieces that are missing (a third NFL-caliber corner, a free safety, a LB who can cover) are glaring holes in the defense. Where we're bad, we're really bad, and even where we're okay, we're asking some guys to play above their heads.

The fact that at least two of the aforementioned glaring holes were filled by players that were cut for no apparent reason... egh.

Seeing there are holes in the defense, what do you think we need to correct it? A veteran defensive player to lead the group?

which scheme?

the pats drafted jermaine cunningham last year.....now he doesn't fit the scheme

the way carterplayed last night, he would have done just as well as anyone the pats have......except that with the coaching he would get here, he would likely suck

Either scheme. Bill doesn't draft 6'1" speed rushers. He cares about his run defense more than that.

I wish I could agree with you, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing. From what I'm seeing....

Next year, the team will need to find 1-2 defensive ends, 1-2 OLBs, 1 ILB, 1-2 CBs and 3 safeties, and that's just on the defensive side of the ball.

That's a hell of a lot of work for a guy who's been screwing up the defensive personnel since 2009.

Last edited:

BB's ego is out of control...He can't do everything on his own but doesn't seem to be willing to admit that.

Seeing there are holes in the defense, what do you think we need to correct it? A veteran defensive player to lead the group?

I have absolutely no idea, hahaha. Draft the next Lawrence Taylor and sign the next Rodney Harrison in FA; that should do it.

I have absolutely no idea, hahaha. Draft the next Lawrence Taylor and sign the next Rodney Harrison in FA; that should do it.

That'll do it.

Man we are in trouble then.....:eek::eek::eek:

I wish I could agree with you, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing. From what I'm seeing....

Next year, the team will need to find 1-2 defensive ends, 1-2 OLBs, 1 ILB, 1-2 CBs and 3 safeties, and that's just on the defensive side of the ball.

That's a hell of a lot of work for a guy who's been screwing up the defensive personnel since 2009.

why 3 safeties? Chung's fine, even if he isn't as good as a lot of people here think he is. Any one of the other guys is probably good enough to be the fourth safety (let's go with Ihedigbo). By my count, that leaves 2 more.

I agree that in the long term they need most of what you just listed, but I dunno that they need to plug all of those holes with long-term starters this offseason. I'm okay with a defense having some weak spots, even in the starting lineup.

While you are mentioning the defensive personnel decisions ... stop trading 3rd and 5th round draft picks for stiffs like the end of the road ex-Raider Derrick Burgess.

The entire 2012 NFL Draft needs to be allocated for the 2012 New England Patriots defense. Wave bye-bye to defensive geriatrics Sean Ellis, Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter. Might as well as send packing Mark Anderson to boot.

why 3 safeties? Chung's fine, even if he isn't as good as a lot of people here think he is. Any one of the other guys is probably good enough to be the fourth safety (let's go with Ihedigbo).
Ihedigbo no way! I don't want that ex-New York Jet trash on the New England Patriots roster.

why 3 safeties? Chung's fine, even if he isn't as good as a lot of people here think he is. Any one of the other guys is probably good enough to be the fourth safety (let's go with Ihedigbo). By my count, that leaves 2 more.

I have seen enough of the other safeties to know that I wouldn't trust any of them as even a 4th safety right now. I grant that there's time before the season ends for that to change but, right now, they are a truly awful trio, IMO.

I agree that in the long term they need most of what you just listed, but I dunno that they need to plug all of those holes with long-term starters this offseason. I'm okay with a defense having some weak spots, even in the starting lineup.

The problem is that they've been trying the "It's ok if we kind of suck there..." thing since they decided to move Seymour and gamble on Green in 2009, and it's been a miserable failure come playoff time.

While you are mentioning the defensive personnel decisions ... stop trading 3rd and 5th round draft picks for stiffs like the end of the road ex-Raider Derrick Burgess.

The entire 2012 NFL Draft needs to be allocated for the 2012 New England Patriots defense. Wave bye-bye to defensive geriatrics Sean Ellis, Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter. Might as well as send packing Mark Anderson to boot.

Don't get me started on the crap trades... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents