PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting comment from Mike Reiss tonight on Sports Final:

"I think you ask the question, could Leigh Bodden have helped this secondary? And that takes me one step further and I ask the question, is Bill Belichick's schemes and the decision making he's making personnel-wise, do we need to revisit this a little bit? I know you don't want to look too much into one game when you ask big picture questions like that, but this just didn't even look competitive to me in that aspect of the game."

That's a direct quote - just to end the speculation of me paraphrasing and misquoting him.

Pretty bold statement by Mike. Obviously a loss just exacerbates things, but I thought the fact he mentioned it was pretty interesting.

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Reiss is right on, your telling me cutting bodden was in the best interest of the team and gave them the best chance to win? Not buying that BS anymore sorry. Belichick and his highly questionable roster moves have set the defense back years, what we saw is what were gonna get rest of the season, a pathetic bad defense, and sorry this isn't close to a championship caliber team. I also believe the giants come in next week and hand the pats their 2nd straight loss.

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

Time to come clean

I am Mike Reiss

Bozeman, Montana huh?

Just to further mask my identity.

Good to see

He's certainly not completely free of all blame, but he knows a ton more about each situation than we do. We may never know what happened with Bodden, but does anyone really think Belichick is dumb enough to cut someone who was getting essentially starter snaps? There's something we don't know, and it's not as simple as a player being disappointed in his role. This kind of smells like the Adalius Thomas situation. It's quite possible Bodden had completely shut down in meetings and on the practice field and was on his way toward bringing other players with him. Did anyone here have any problem with cutting Thomas?

In Belichick I trust.
...not to always make the right decision, but to make the right decision more often than any poster here and as often as the best decision-makers in the NFL.

In Belichick I trust.
...not to always make the right decision, but to make the right decision more often than any poster here and as often as the best decision-makers in the NFL.

I want to believe that.

But the defense has gone from pretty bad, to historically terrible.

So........

:bricks:

He's certainly not completely free of all blame, but he knows a ton more about each situation than we do. We may never know what happened with Bodden, but does anyone really think Belichick is dumb enough to cut someone who was getting essentially starter snaps? There's something we don't know, and it's not as simple as a player being disappointed in his role. This kind of smells like the Adalius Thomas situation. It's quite possible Bodden had completely shut down in meetings and on the practice field and was on his way toward bringing other players with him. Did anyone here have any problem with cutting Thomas?

In Belichick I trust.

Agreed.

Posters on here need to remember that BB won a SB with a guy named Earthwind Moreland. Wait who?? Exactly. As bad as the defense looks, there's still alot of football left for BB to get the secondarys sh*t together.
However, my koolaid has a funny taste lately. ;)

Agreed.

Posters on here need to remember that BB won a SB with a guy named Earthwind Moreland. Wait who?? Exactly. As bad as the defense looks, there's still alot of football left for BB to get the secondarys sh*t together.

Earthwind Moreland was playing because of injury not because he was the only guy on the roster that 2004 team was maybe the most talent defense in patriots history

Reiss is right on, your telling me cutting bodden was in the best interest of the team and gave them the best chance to win? Not buying that BS anymore sorry. Belichick and his highly questionable roster moves have set the defense back years, what we saw is what were gonna get rest of the season, a pathetic bad defense, and sorry this isn't close to a championship caliber team. I also believe the giants come in next week and hand the pats their 2nd straight loss.
Yep, you're right. We may as well consign ourselves to the reality that the Patriots are going to go on a seven year run worse than what the Raiders went through after their Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Going forward the Pats are going to make the 2001-2011 Detroit Lions look like the Green Bay Packers of the early 60's.

We're doooooooomed.

Earthwind Moreland was playing because of injury not because he was the only guy on the roster that 2004 team was maybe the most talent defense in patriots history

I think you missed my point, but im honestly too tired to care. I'll try and explain it in tomorrow nights "the defense sucks" thread :D

Agreed.

As much as I'd like to agree with you, Nash, let's not forget that was also a very formidable defense which ended up in the top 3-5 of most categories. That's like the Steelers winning/going to the SB with Willaim Gay, or the Ravens winning with Moreland right now. The comparison is not very appropriate anymore, with all due respect.

In a defense where you know you have serious deficiencies in some areas like this one, you've got to be strong somewhere, and I'm not understanding where that strength is going to come from.

None of us our privy to the inside story with Bodden. He might have been an insufferable d-bag, lazy or a candy ass.

But here's something everyone here should be able to understand: Sometimes you have to work with those kinds of people. Especially if your work place has a need for whatever skill set they have.

That said, what's done is done. We'll be dancing with the girl we brought the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Yep, you're right. We may as well consign ourselves to the reality that the Patriots are going to go on a seven year run worse than what the Raiders went through after their Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Going forward the Pats are going to make the 2001-2011 Detroit Lions look like the Green Bay Packers of the early 60's.

We're doooooooomed.

Yeah, I agree entirely that some are overreacting, possibly even myself on some lesser level, but you do have to feel that there is a lot of opportunity wasted in some aspects.

No, we aren't going to have a huge setback on defense like that poster suggests (or maybe we actually will, who knows?), but we aren't going to replicate even the 'average but competitive' 2006 defense anytime soon. This defense is looking a lot more like the 2005/2009 defense to me.

There has to be some strengths somewhere, in order to mask the weaker parts. What are the strengths? Can't pressure the QB worth a damn on the line, the LB'ers are certainly not a huge strength, and the secondary (BOTH corners and safeties) are terribly weak too.

Unless they can somehow keep scoring 30+ on offense, I don't really know how they will win in the playoffs against elite opponents.

Last edited:

Many of us have been saying for a long time that BB the GM hurts BB the coach. Nice of Mikey Reiss to jump on the band wagon.

the questioning should start with the day Kraft took final draft control away from Pioli in early 2006 and gave it to Belichick

results

2006 draft --- total whiff

2007 draft --- other than trading 2 picks for Wes, another whiff

2008 and 2009 --- summary --- two more bad ones

2010 - two good tight ends but McCourty wasn't the great one we thought he was

2011 -- too early to tell

It's not about the difference between the decisions we'd make as opposed to Belichick. It's about the difference between the top competitors in the league and Belichick. Clearly there is a gap where it matters.

It's not all on BB though, some of his personnel moves can be questioned, but Kyle Arrington :eek: has been our best player in the secondary. Has McCourty been involved in a single positive play all year? I would probably be cutting people left and right in that secondary or else I'd off myself. They're gonna give me diabetes.

Last edited:

Were we sure that Leigh Bodden would have even played yesterday??

He had a thumb and groin injury, and last game saw limited snaps...

We never know what happens behind closed doors: Did he not do what he was supposed to do?? Was he a disruptive influence on the team?? Did he give BB some ultimatum?? Or was he just not getting it??

The best thing about yesterdays game was it ended.. we shyt the bed big time, but there is a lot of blame to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe