PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

He was only labeled injury-prone by the ignorant who over-looked the fact that he didn't miss that many games. Dowling missed 7 games his senior year and one prior to that. Out of 48 possible games.. WOW.. That's so many.. :rolleyes:

What you clearly don't understand is that there is a difference between a fluke injury (which is what a tendon tearing from a bone is) and the other injuries you mentioned. BTW, the knee and hamstring injuries happened because his high ankle sprain wasn't healed properly and Dowling insisted on running at the combine.

Next, you're gonna try and tell everyone that there are exercises you can do to prevent tearing a tendon from the bone. Or to prevent an ACL tear..

yup.....YOU know better

Re: Mike Reiss on Belichick: Maybe it's time to 'revisit' his personnel decision maki

LMAO at this ridiculous comparison..........gronkowski had one injury in college which was a big one....

dowling's injury history was well documented prior to the draft.....just google 'dowling injury prone'...he has lived up to that label wonderfully

wow that is a quick rush to judgement. Curtis Martin dropped from a 1st round back to a 3rd round back because of an injury in college......how'd that work out?

Point is, I understand the whole Dowling is injury prone argument because of the history in college, yet he did play 40 of 46 games in college with or without injuries which also tells me he is one tough SOB. Bottomline I don't know what you people expected from a rookie with his history who did not have the ability to get into the Patriots off season training program from day 1which would give him the best chance to avoid injury. When he goes through the program next off season and if this happens again then I will agree with you, until then I just can't.

He was only labeled injury-prone by the ignorant who over-looked the fact that he didn't miss that many games. Dowling missed 7 games his senior year and one prior to that. Out of 48 possible games.. WOW.. That's so many.. :rolleyes:

What you clearly don't understand is that there is a difference between a fluke injury (which is what a tendon tearing from a bone is) and the other injuries you mentioned. BTW, the knee and hamstring injuries happened because his high ankle sprain wasn't healed properly and Dowling insisted on running at the combine.

Next, you're gonna try and tell everyone that there are exercises you can do to prevent tearing a tendon from the bone. Or to prevent an ACL tear..

You have an unusual way to rationalize everything. I'll give you that. Critical thinking...

Tearing the tendon from the bone, no, reducing the risk of the tendon tearing from another part of the tendon, absolutely. You can also teach guys to move in ways which reduce the risk of injury.

Last edited:

The Redskins defence were pretty bad last year but within one year with free agent and drafting it was fixed. Jacksonville defence was not good last year but they are decent now because they spent money fixing it. In three years time Belichick has failed to fix this defence . Other teams can do this why can't we.Before you tell me oh those teams are bad its because they have horrible QBs

yeah that Redskins D really showed up against the Bills O yesterday........and how is the Redskins O? Remind me again what the Redskins record is?

What I can take from your argument is that you want a team built like the Ravens not like the Colts with Manning.

a team with a shut down top 1 or 2 D in all categories and an O that scores just enough not to blow the game but is wildly inconsistent vs an O that scores 28+ pts and a D that is inconsistent and can be scored upon?

Were we sure that Leigh Bodden would have even played yesterday??

He had a thumb and groin injury, and last game saw limited snaps...

We never know what happens behind closed doors: Did he not do what he was supposed to do?? Was he a disruptive influence on the team?? Did he give BB some ultimatum?? Or was he just not getting it??

The best thing about yesterdays game was it ended.. we shyt the bed big time, but there is a lot of blame to go around.

Yes, we are sure. His agent said he's 100% healthy and can play right away.

yeah that Redskins D really showed up against the Bills O yesterday........and how is the Redskins O? Remind me again what the Redskins record is?

What I can take from your argument is that you want a team built like the Ravens not like the Colts with Manning.

a team with a shut down top 1 or 2 D in all categories and an O that scores just enough not to blow the game but is wildly inconsistent vs an O that scores 28+ pts and a D that is inconsistent and can be scored upon?

The problem is, it's not and either-or proposition with this team. This offense will continue to be at the very least above average with Tom Brady, so the fact that we are great offensively but crap defensively is not a matter of choice, it's a matter of having the best QB in the game and making poor personnel decisions on the other side of the ball. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to field a good, consistent defense without sacrificing offensive firepower.

LMAO at this ridiculous comparison..........gronkowski had one injury in college which was a big one....

dowling's injury history was well documented prior to the draft.....just google 'dowling injury prone'...he has lived up to that label wonderfully

Really? Because you'd be wrong. Do you know how many games Dowling missed in college due to injury? 8. TOTAL. 7 in his senior year and 1 in 2008. Yeah.. So injury prone.. :rolleyes:

Instead of just parroting stuff you've heard from Reiss, Gaspar, or Rappaport, it would help if you did your own homework. The only season that Dowling missed time due to injury was his senior one. Where he ended up fracturing his ankle.

Tell me what exercises one can do to prevent an ankle from being fractured. And the Knee/Hamstring were just a sprain and a pull. Those happen..

yup.....YOU know better

Maybe because I went and looked it up. Funny thing about that.. You might try it some time..

You have an unusual way to rationalize everything. I'll give you that. Critical thinking...

Unusual way to rationalize everything? Why? because I use facts? That is unusual? Maybe for someone who just throws stuff out there to see what people accept..

Tearing the tendon from the bone, no, reducing the risk of the tendon tearing from another part of the tendon, absolutely. You can also teach guys to move in ways which reduce the risk of injury.

From the report that Reiss made, Dowling's tendon tore off his femur. Which is a fluke injury, though some people here think it's no different than pulling a hamstring or breaking an ankle..

From the report that Reiss made, Dowling's tendon tore off his femur. Which is a fluke injury, though some people here think it's no different than pulling a hamstring or breaking an ankle..

If it tore clean off the bone it is a freak injury, however I think there’s probably a greater likelihood of the press getting things wrong with regards to medical issues, I’d be willing to bet the tendon tore from another part of the tendon, close to the bone.

Really? Because you'd be wrong. Do you know how many games Dowling missed in college due to injury? 8. TOTAL. 7 in his senior year and 1 in 2008. Yeah.. So injury prone.. :rolleyes:

Instead of just parroting stuff you've heard from Reiss, Gaspar, or Rappaport, it would help if you did your own homework. The only season that Dowling missed time due to injury was his senior one. Where he ended up fracturing his ankle.

Tell me what exercises one can do to prevent an ankle from being fractured. And the Knee/Hamstring were just a sprain and a pull. Those happen..

He has suffered multiple injuries and missed his entire rookie season. Definately sounds like injury prone to me.

Good friend of mine here in VA is a UVA Grad and has had season tickets for a long time. I just read this post to him, and he laughed. He said "Dowling missed a ton of practices due to injury, and I can tell you for a fact that he also had games where he'd only play in 1 or 2 series, and then get hurt. There are thousands of UVA fans that would highly disagree with anybody that tries to say that Dowling was not injury prone".

From Holley's new book (via King's MMQB column):

• Scouts were ticked off in 2006 that Belichick overrode their reports and picked Laurence Maroney in the first round (apparently on the strong advice of Josh McDaniels' brother Ben, one of the Maroney's college coaches) and Chad Jackson in the second round -- even after receivers coach Brian Daboll said he didn't want to coach Jackson.
  • After the Boston Herald reported (incorrectly, as it turned out) that the Patriots had taped a Rams practice before the 2002 Super Bowl, Belichick went to his captains and asked if he should address the team about it -- just before the Super Bowl they played against the Giants in February 2008. The captains said no, so Belichick didn't talk to the team about it.
  • Defensive keystone Vince Wilfork didn't like the trade of Mike Vrabel to Kansas City before the 2009 season. "That trade ticks me off. Right now. Still. When I heard about it, I said, 'What the f--- is going on?' If you want to talk about the Patriot Way, you start with Vrabel.' ''
  • It wasn't just management that came to dislike free agent signee Adalius Thomas. It was the players. Tedy Bruschi on Thomas: "He started to question a lot of things in meeting. 'Why are we doing that?' 'Why don't we just do this?' He stopped buying in on what the coaches thought. He really did think he had all the answers, you know? And that's what he turned into: the answer man. That's when I was on my way out and I was glad to get out at that point.''

Good friend of mine here in VA is a UVA Grad and has had season tickets for a long time. I just read this post to him, and he laughed. He said "Dowling missed a ton of practices due to injury, and I can tell you for a fact that he also had games where he'd only play in 1 or 2 series, and then get hurt. There are thousands of UVA fans that would highly disagree with anybody that tries to say that Dowling was not injury prone".

Don't argue with fools, it becomes difficult to tell the difference...

The problem is, it's not and either-or proposition with this team. This offense will continue to be at the very least above average with Tom Brady, so the fact that we are great offensively but crap defensively is not a matter of choice, it's a matter of having the best QB in the game and making poor personnel decisions on the other side of the ball. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to field a good, consistent defense without sacrificing offensive firepower.

Just curious but what team are you looking at as the ideal in the NFL currently? Correct mix of O and consistent D.

I want a Defense... that WILL give up the big BOMB play now and then... we need to take CHANCES. BB hassn't changed his defensive attitude in years. We still play BEND and DON'T BREAK D (that is the principle at least) We need to intentionally open up segments of the field b/c any BLITZ package leaves some areas open. I would GIVE up the BIG play/ gain to get the ball back quicker, but at the same point I see this method creating more 3 and outs. BB we all love the guy, but he is stubborn and reluctant to change his philosophy.

Take the RISK commit more guys in Blitzing. It isn't like our current D is working:bricks:

He has suffered multiple injuries and missed his entire rookie season. Definately sounds like injury prone to me.

so by your token... why isn't Vereen getting raped for missing action???
Vereen must be "injury prone" to... , but ppl here just like to give into the Ras and harass him.:rolleyes:

The Patriots blitzed repeatedly in the first half and were burned.

Bad gameplan.

My one big concern is, why did they blitz like that?

Is it because there is a total lack of confidence in the secondary?
No, it's because they know that they cannot put pressure on the qb with just their front 4 (or front 3 plus an OLB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back