PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Francesa And D Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revis-PI-100-Yard-TD-Int1.gif

Jetsinsider is blowing up with fans who think Revis just "owned" Francesa. The rest of the world sees it the opposite way. Shocking.

Predictably, the Jets fans calling Francesca's show are trying to change the focus by blaming Francesca for asking the question about whether it was a penalty too often.

Jets director of public relations Jared Winley has issued the following statement on the matter, a copy of which was forwarded to PFT: “In my judgment, given the tone of the interview, I should have asked Mike to move on to another topic, instead of instructing Darrelle to hang up the phone. That was an error on my part. I’ve called Mike’s producer and I apologized.”

Jets apologize for pulling plug on Revis interview | ProFootballTalk

I don't know which is more impressive not getting a ball thrown his way or a flag. A good corner should be able to mask penalties but there's always the jumbo-tron.

Do home teams control what's viewed on the jumbotron? I'm sure owners don't want a blockbuster replay of their players mugging receivers left n right in plain view for the refs to see.

Revis is still a great corner but Dion Sanders is the bar in that area hands down. Dion was a ball hawk, I'm not sure if he was known as a mugger but if anyone else does i'd like to here.

lol Dion Sanders was a super athletic, tackle you from behind, gambling corner who became a gigolo for Super Bowl ready teams that didn't need him and talked his way into the HOF. He was Antonio Cromartie 10 years before. Dion Sanders and Gale Sayers are quite possibly the biggest HOF gaffs of all time.

This is how I view the elite: The ones who have to tell everyone that they are elite simply aren't.

Last edited:
lol Dion Sanders was a super athletic, tackle you from behind, gambling corner who became a gigolo for Super Bowl ready teams that didn't need him and talked his way into the HOF. He was Antonio Cromartie 10 years before. Dion Sanders and Gale Sayers are quite possibly the biggest HOF gaffs of all time.

This is how I view the elite: The ones who have to tell everyone that they are elite simply aren't.

Have you ever seen Deion play?

That might be the worst post I've ever seen.

In fairness to Revis, listening to the interview I thought that Francesa was really trying to pick a fight. It is Francesa's style and Revis played right into it so I cannot give Revis too much. But Francesa was baiting Revis a bit and Revis took the line hook, line, and sinker.

I forgot about his prime time circus act and self promotional skills. I enjoyed his play on the field until he tried to play WR.

also forgot Rod Woodsen, although he was at safety as well. I must have lost my mind to put Dion ahead of Rod.

Last edited:

:confused:

Sanders is the best corner the NFL has had since at least as far back as Hayes/Haynes.

To be perfectly honest, I think Cromartie gets flagged too much (at least in the Raiders' game this year) almost like it is make up calls for Revis.

Revis isn't the only player who get the star treatment. But he does get it. Brady has in the past been overprotected by the refs getting favorable roughing the passer calls. Randy Moss got away with pushing off a lot while he was here. It happens to most stars in skill positions. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care that Revis gets star treatment since he isn't the only one, but people need to acknowledge when he gets that treatment.

Very well said. I appreciate when a Pats fan sees it both ways. By the way I had no problem with what the Jets/Francesa did. Francesa is a known 'baiter' for those that never listen to him. He's still upset that the Jets don't allow him to interview players, and designate them over to espn 1050.

I loved watching Deion play. He is the best corner ever. Revis is rapidly approaching that level though.

Deion hand hands like a wide receiver. Like an excellent receiver. Some of the plays you saw him make were jaw dropping.

Deion had much better return skills than Revis does. When he got the ball in his hands it was like Hester as a CB.

Deion and Revis both cover amazingly. Revis doesn't come up with as many big plays as Deion did. Revis seems to swat at the ball more where Deion went up, over, and out and caught it when he could.

Revis is more physical, but it's not by as huge of a margin as people like to think.

Deion Sanders Tribute - Primetime | HD - YouTube

Would you describe Revis' rookie season as excellent or above average? Because that's the last time he played football on a level playing field as anyone else.

He created his own reputation by talking about how great he was (he came up with "Revis Island" all by himself) and the Jets, desperate for any kind of positive press - only helped spread it. Rex Ryan coming on board and furthering the environment of self-promotion didn't help a year later.

Consider that when Rex Ryan came on board, the Jets pass defense went from 29th in 2008 to 1st in 2009. Revis isn't the reason. Revis' level of play was about the same in both seasons.

I agree that - as the rules are enforced - he is one of the top two corners in the league, and will likely go down as one of the top corners of all-time. I just think he owes a huge credit to that to the fact that he's playing in pre-2004 rules, and no one else is.

This is a laughable post. First, he didn't talk about how great he was with his nickname, Rex referenced the fact he was on an island when covering Randy Moss. The media then blew it out of proportion, labeling him Revis Island. Revis' level of play wasn't even close to the same from yr 2 to yr 3. He was an above avg corner in yr 2, he was an ELITE cornerback in yr 3, highlighted by the way Rex used him, progression, etc. His 3rd yr in the NFL is considered by many to be one of the best in the NFL ever for a CB. He finished 2nd in DPOY considerations.

He also went on to say "A number that I think would be interesting would be eight, and no, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay (Woodson's team) gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis."

>>>>>Yea the "pass defense went from 29th to 1st, it wasn't cause of Revis." Give me a break.

To say that besides his rookie season, he's never played on a level playing field is beyond absurd. I love how you mention Revis holds on every play. How do you know this? Do you have a special tv that allows you to see the safeties and cornerbacks play? Because I don't, and neither does the rest of America.

I give you credit for saying he's one of the 2 best at his position, but after that your argument is full of holes and inconsistencies.

I don't like Revis but admire his play.
He is the best in the game right now and he gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs. I think he mugs a lot less than Ty Law did and is a better cover corner than Ty was. I would trade ANYONE on our team for him, except TB.
Having said that, I am annoyed this happened on a Friday because it would have made for great discussion on PTI or Around the Horn…with reporters trashing Revis and bringing to light his oft-illegal play.

Brady has in the past been overprotected by the refs getting favorable roughing the passer calls. Randy Moss got away with pushing off a lot while he was here.

Moss push-offs, yes.

Brady RTP calls, not so much.

Moss push-offs, yes.

Brady RTP calls, not so much.

Yup. Moss got away with a lot of pushoffs for a while, then the refs started calling them correctly around 2009 with a fair amount of regularity. A lot of bigger receivers still get away with them quite a bit.

Brady's never been any more or less protected on RTP calls than anyone else though.

This is a laughable post. First, he didn't talk about how great he was with his nickname, Rex referenced the fact he was on an island when covering Randy Moss. The media then blew it out of proportion, labeling him Revis Island. Revis' level of play wasn't even close to the same from yr 2 to yr 3. He was an above avg corner in yr 2, he was an ELITE cornerback in yr 3, highlighted by the way Rex used him, progression, etc. His 3rd yr in the NFL is considered by many to be one of the best in the NFL ever for a CB. He finished 2nd in DPOY considerations.

He also went on to say "A number that I think would be interesting would be eight, and no, that’s not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay (Woodson's team) gave up against Arizona. That is the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis."

>>>>>Yea the "pass defense went from 29th to 1st, it wasn't cause of Revis." Give me a break.

To say that besides his rookie season, he's never played on a level playing field is beyond absurd. I love how you mention Revis holds on every play. How do you know this? Do you have a special tv that allows you to see the safeties and cornerbacks play? Because I don't, and neither does the rest of America.

I give you credit for saying he's one of the 2 best at his position, but after that your argument is full of holes and inconsistencies.

He's the best CB in the NFL, but he gets away with a lot of holding. As another poster mentioned, the best comparison that I can think of is that Moss used to get away with a ton of pushoffs. In both cases, they were excellent players with or without that advantage, but the refs' curious blind spot to it helped an awful lot. When refs start calling it on Revis, he'll still probably be the best CB in the NFL, but it will hurt him/

Yup. Moss got away with a lot of pushoffs for a while, then the refs started calling them correctly around 2009 with a fair amount of regularity. A lot of bigger receivers still get away with them quite a bit.

Brady's never been any more or less protected on RTP calls than anyone else though.

Didnt a lot of opposing players and coaches bring this to the attention of the refs by *****ing about it constantly, the same may happen here with Revis.
When Ty Law played the rules were different so you could get away with a lot more back then, see the first Super Bowl the Pats won.

Revis holds every play and that play was no different. He just gets the treatment because people call that twat a god

From Jetfan in peace.

Do you have a special tv that allows you to see the safeties and cornerbacks play? Because I don't, and neither does the rest of America. :confused:

I thought all JET fans have special tv's. Just read J.I. or Gangreen. According to you fans, the whole league is against the JETS and thier ORG! Why is it you guys are ALWAYS right? And for the record, Revis does NOT get the calls he should get alot of the time. As you stated: " This is a laughable thread", well one could say that the JETS are a laughable team along with thier fans. :singing: Enjoy your longggggg season........again.:snob:

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, I think Cromartie gets flagged too much (at least in the Raiders' game this year) almost like it is make up calls for Revis.

Revis isn't the only player who get the star treatment. But he does get it. Brady has in the past been overprotected by the refs getting favorable roughing the passer calls. Randy Moss got away with pushing off a lot while he was here. It happens to most stars in skill positions. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care that Revis gets star treatment since he isn't the only one, but people need to acknowledge when he gets that treatment.

Brady gets hit so much more than your average QB that he theoretically would get more calls than the average QB, that does NOT happen, and he is NOT shown ANY preferential treatment....there are plays that are CLEAR penalties on brady that go unnoticed and unmentioned.....and then there are those so so penalites he rarely gets

Brady is a star, but is not treated as one by the refs

same thing with Moss when he was with us, EVERY receiver pushes off to some degree and as some points, Randy was the ONLY receiver I have EVER seen being called on it so consistently

it actually used to piss me off, because refs would look to that to negate a simply Randy score

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft