PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Midnight ramblings after a monumental win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Adelius Thomas is a much more likely LB free agent for us than Lance Briggs. Thomas is the right size, is versatile enough to play inside or outside, and has 3-4 experience. His only knock is his age, but I think he is a far better fit in our system than Lance Briggs.

I'd love to get Adalius Thomas, but anyone who read the ESPN article on him - as I did - is likely to tell you what I will: Ain't NO WAY the Ravens are letting him go. No way, no how. But I hope you're right.

You will never see Vrabel play TE in the open field unless he is blocking or being a decoy.
This then begs the question, why was Vrabel used at TE in a short yardage midfield situation and does Tom really have a favorite receiver named 'Open?' Could there 'evah' be a juxtaposition?

The Pats need speed and coverage ability at ILB. The trio of Banta-Cain, Vrabel and Colvin are good enough at OLB. Thomas is an OLB type in his first year of "dominant" play. Also, The Baltimore Lbers were nothing special last year. This year, suddenly, they are world beaters. Why the change? Because of the most underrated rookie in this year's class, DT Haloti Ngata. Thomas, Bart Scott, and a Ray Lewis in decline are benefiting from superior 4-3 line play vs. the run. Their sacks are mostly scheme based because the opponents are always in passing downs. Thomas is set to earn a wind-fall, but he is being overrated IMO.

Pony -
Thomas is extremely versatile and I have no doubt at all that he could move to ILB with the Pats and be dominant in the way that Bruschi and Ted Johnson have been.

Now, about your statements. Its incorrect of you to compare last year's Baltimore defense to this year's. This year, they are strictly in the 4-3. Last year, they experimented with a hybrid 3-4 / "46" defense. It was SUPPOSED to have worked to Lewis' strengths, but it didn't. Keamoatu was a FANTASTIC DT for the Ravens, but they didn't use him properly last year. As such, the entire defense suffered.

Any chance the pats dump Colvin next year? he doesn't seem like he's doing much for 6M or whatever he gets.

Pony -
Thomas is extremely versatile and I have no doubt at all that he could move to ILB with the Pats and be dominant in the way that Bruschi and Ted Johnson have been.

Now, about your statements. Its incorrect of you to compare last year's Baltimore defense to this year's. This year, they are strictly in the 4-3. Last year, they experimented with a hybrid 3-4 / "46" defense. It was SUPPOSED to have worked to Lewis' strengths, but it didn't. Keamoatu was a FANTASTIC DT for the Ravens, but they didn't use him properly last year. As such, the entire defense suffered.

I agree, Thomas is a good player who can play ILB in the 3-4. If I suggested otherwise it was foolish. I just question whether Thomas will bring value at the price he will command, considering his "sexy" overrated sack totals and the competition for his services. This season the Ravens' defense is again a base 4-3, as it was last year, but still incorporates, depending on game plans, odd fronts and even the "46" double eagle. I disagree about Komeatu. He was adequate, and a decent up field penetrator, but Ngata is already better as a space eater who protects the LBers.

Great post by PonyExpress.....

A few comments:
Thomas would fit in nicely,but there is NO WAY,BB
is going to mortgage the future for one guy.
Besides,EVERY team will be $15-30m under the cap next year.There will be 3 or 4 nitwit GM's who will vastly overpay for him.......NEVER,the Patriots.

London Fletcher would be a terrific option...also he has experience in the 3-4 defense....a critical factor,IMO.

Anyone looking for BB/SP to pkg. our 2 # 1's,to
move into the Top 10 for some fantasy football-stud......are DREAMING....The Pats will NEVER do this.Only someone like Peyton Manning is worth it.No DL's,RB's,or WR's are worth it........It's Stupid(see NYG/SD) and Mrs.Belichik didn't raise any stupid kids.

More likely is to look for BB to TRADE one of our #1's for a 2 or 3,this year and a 1...NEXT yr.

We will have something like 13 draft choices in 2007,we're already trying to intergrate this yrs choices into our system......we're not going to turnover our roster each year,like some teams do.

Look for the Pats to trade draft choices for veterans,who fit our system,and Future draft choices.OTHER teams think 2007,,,,,,,BB thinks 2010.

Lastly,regarding Josh Mcdaniel,who I think has done more than a adequate job this year,what has been KILLING our game plans are TURNOVERS.Look at the percentage of offensive drives that were stopped by turnovers and you'll,
then, understand our lack of consistency.

If we don't turnover the ball against Denver,Indy,
Balt or SD.then,.....THOSE teams are the ones,who are going to have trouble against us,not
the other way around.This is because,no one plays
"smallball",better than the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes