PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Wilbon: Predicts 9-7/10-6 record for 2008 Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it ever occurred to anyone that not EVERYONE in the national media needs to ballwash the Patriots? He picked them to go 9-7 or 10-6, what's the big deal? Try to take off the the homer glasses and realize it is OK for someone to think that they won't do well. Anything can happen on any given Sunday and we know that. I just don't understand why everyone gripes because ONE guy does not think they'll go 16-0 again. He picked us to be mediocre, so who cares? Get over it. Do I agree with him? No. But not everyone sympathizes with the Pats.
Predicting mediocrity for the Pats can make one very well liked in a large part of the U.S.

Pick me up..........hahahahahahahahahahah.........9-7.......hahahaha, pick me up.............................

Was this guy stoned all of last season?

I'm not a Patriots fan, but still. At the very least I have them going 12-4.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that not EVERYONE in the national media needs to ballwash the Patriots? He picked them to go 9-7 or 10-6, what's the big deal? Try to take off the the homer glasses and realize it is OK for someone to think that they won't do well. Anything can happen on any given Sunday and we know that. I just don't understand why everyone gripes because ONE guy does not think they'll go 16-0 again. He picked us to be mediocre, so who cares? Get over it. Do I agree with him? No. But not everyone sympathizes with the Pats.

My sentiments exactly. I saw when he said it, and it wasn't too over the top. He said he definitely doesn't wish injuries on anybody, but it could be something like that that happens to the Pats. It was as a part of the over under game, and didn't seem like a big deal. I actually like Wilbon most of the time. I met him in a hotel lobby while at the ACC Tourny a few years back, and he is a totally nice guy. Very friendly and classy.

That doesn't matter here, I understand that, but you are correct, everybody on the planet doesn't have to predict 16 and 0.

Nice job. Thanks!

Soooo, he's backing off a little and with the "Not 14-2" comment he's leaving 13-3 as a final result. Far from the 9-7/10-6 that he was proclaiming. Someone probably handed him the schedule after he made that comment and said "Might want to look at this" :rolleyes:

And he's got a few good points, based on your paraphrase - But what he's doing and what most are doing is discounting Tom Brady, Randy Moss and Bill Belichick's ability to redesign their game plan.

Any team out there that thinks they are going to be ready for the Pat's based on the way they played 2007 is gonna be in for a monumental beat down. I trust in Belichick/E. Adams ability to adapt and change the scheme's up.

Everyone thinks that getting to Brady is the KEY - NO KIDDING! What a revelation. Get to the QB and you will disrupt the game. :rolleyes:

Wilbon's wrong, and I hope these guys keep spewing this stuff - It's motivation that we probably DID NOT need, but are getting by the truck load.

Embrace the Hate in '08 - It's just begun.

I think we all know the #1 issue for '09 is improving the defense. Our offense is fine and hopefully the running back position will stay healthier than 08. BB's legacy has been built upon defense, not offense. So why wouldn't Pat's fans and guys like Wilbon believe the Pats will improve greatly in this area in '09? To me, it's a given.

So to predict

Improved defense
Greater reliance upon running game (early in games)

Is pretty much a no-brainer...at least to me. I also believe that establishing the run earlier will alleviate any teams' idea that they are going to pressure Brady all-out ala the Giants SB strategy. Good luck to any team that tries that this year:D

Honestly....the Pats would go 10-6 with Cassel/O'Connell at QB this year. With Brady at QB its homefield in the playoffs at 12-4 at worse.

Not to mention the universe.

That's a depressing thought . . . after all, all truly intelligent lifeforms in the Universe root for the Pats. :D

Uhhh, I'm curious....how did Wilbon's prediction on Federer turn out?

I didn't see the show(or read this entire thread),but what was his reasoning for this prediction.The majority of the team is coming back,and they look to have a very favorable schedule.Did he say it,just to be different? If fully healthy,i'd be shocked if this team doesn't win a minimum of 12-13 games.

Wilbon's smug and arrogant in general, though a lot of his commentary is ok, except when it comes to Boston teams, and especially the Pats it seems, though he's slammed the Sox more than once too.

Awhile back he admitted he's down on Boston because at one time, while in town after a Sox game (*I think*...it may have been Celts-anyway)... while walking down the street someone passed by him and called him the N word. Obviously this upset him a great deal and he was quite public about the whole thing for quite sometime.

I don't know if the incident still clouds his opinion or not but the thing is- once you throw something like that out there people won't be too fast to assume any negative opinions are non-biased.

I have no issue with the fact he isn't kissing NE's *, but 10-6 is a bit of a stretch, especially given their schedule. Wilbon's a *; I'll also be the first to admit that for some Unknown Reason I find myself getting more and more cynical when it comes to the media. Weird, I know:rolleyes:

He didn't say they "should". He said they "might" if the Pats keep running up the score. And, like it or not, we did run up the score on defenseless teams last year. But hey, that was all good with me. Belichick will be DAMNED if he is going to let a couple of reporters taint his legacy. What better way to prove that the cameras didn't help if, after you take them away, we are still blowing other professional teams out?

Defenseless teams?

I would agree that Tom/Randy/Welker make team look like they have no defense at times, be rest assured they are on the field.

Defenseless teams?

I would agree that Tom/Randy/Welker make team look like they have no defense at times, be rest assured they are on the field.

Maybe the Patriots should have saved some of the plays they ran against the Dolphins and Redskins and run them in the last game of the season when they put up 14 points against a wildcard team.

Maybe the Patriots should have saved some of the plays they ran against the Dolphins and Redskins and run them in the last game of the season when they put up 14 points against a wildcard team.

Ouch. The truth hurts sometimes.

The one game about which I really felt bad was against the Skins. The fake spike/TD at the end of the 1st half, Brady throwing deep to Moss in the 4th quarter while leading 45-0...Joe Gibbs deserved better.

The rest of the games? Eff those other guys.

Honestly, the Patriots will be lucky if they even are .500. All teams have to do is punch them in the mouth and wear down their old defense

Honestly, the Patriots will be lucky if they even are .500. All teams have to do is punch them in the mouth and wear down their old defense

Are you serious troll?

Sarcasm isn't detected very well on the internet

Wilbon on the possibility of Tom Brady not playing this season...

"Do you know who the Patriots are without Brady? The Chiefs"

:eek:

Tony then went on to say they win no more than 10 without Brady.

Last edited:
Wow, what and IDIOT. How the hell could this guy think the pats might go 10-6?! The nerve of this MORON! Some of you people need to step back, and realize that not everyone has to kiss our butts all the time.

Unreal.

Last edited:
Ouch. The truth hurts sometimes.

The one game about which I really felt bad was against the Skins. The fake spike/TD at the end of the 1st half, Brady throwing deep to Moss in the 4th quarter while leading 45-0...Joe Gibbs deserved better.

The rest of the games? Eff those other guys.
Joe Gibbs got just what he deserved. Eff everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes