PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bella*chick said:
Nah, they don't. I can't believe I've done it but I've gone a whole season avoiding football media talk.

I have been known to yell at the TV, though.....

Then how in the world do you know what Irvin says or doesn't say????????

And why do you care who is on the air if you aren't watching???????

texpat said:
Then how in the world do you know what Irvin says or doesn't say????????

And why do you care who is on the air if you aren't watching???????

Oh dear, sadly, you CAN'T avoid all of it. Much as I try to avoid TV coverage, I DO frequent several messageboards and ESPN.com so, you know, I do tend to hear what he says or doesn't say. Sports talk radio is also a constant in the car.

And I've seen him in years past. Last year he was just as annoying as this year. He and those of his ilk are WHY I decided to ease up on football commentary on TV this year.

As for why I care if I'm not watching....okay, how do I put this. I'd RATHER watch but will not as long as fools like him babble on the airwaves. Now that the Colts have been beaten, I, in fact, will watch again, with the MUTE button handy. But I won't like it. And I want to enjoy it again.

See how that works?

Last edited:
texpat said:
What E. Texas towns has he been stopped in and how do you know them?

Why are you so upset that he doesn't want the PATS to be considered as good as the Cowboys? Does it really matter what he thinks? All great ex-athletes think rather highly of themselves and have huge egos. That is part of what gives them the ability to go out and perform against other great athletes.

Whether you love him or hate him, ESPN is getting their money's worth because half the people love to listen to his insight (in his own style of English) and the other half has to tune in just so they can disagree and hate him.
hey texpat, where you from?
the only post of mine i can find on this topic begins with this:
"i think the crack comes from from the tailor. look i know these east texas towns he's been stopped in. if he doesn't have enough common sense than to drive thru those towns with a pipe under his seat... they should take away his license just for that."

so what did i say and when did i say it?
now, i remember THINKING that was irvin was trying protect the prestige of the cowboys' dynasty. he's certainly not objective about that. it's also natural. i get taken to task for what i'm thinking all the time, my wife does that. but who, pray tell, are you?
as to the east texas towns where he was stopped, question 1:
how do i know them:
spent some of my little-boy summers around up in there, denton, clarksville, greenville. god it is gorgeous land, particularly farther north. maybe 5 summers in toto. took rides in cars with relatives, etc., saw things, heard things. do you remember the banner hanging over the main street in greenville?

queston 2: where was he stopped:
AHA! as it turns out the only reference to a traffic stop in that area was "denton county". the place he got pulled over in his car was plano, and any damn fool knows plano is NE of dallas. also, greenville and clarksville are NOT in denton county, so obviously i'm bull$sh!tting you, right?
what, do you believe michael irvin should think he can drive around small-town east texas without drawing attention?

by the way

texpat said:
What E. Texas towns has he been stopped in and how do you know them?

Why are you so upset that he doesn't want the PATS to be considered as good as the Cowboys? Does it really matter what he thinks? All great ex-athletes think rather highly of themselves and have huge egos. That is part of what gives them the ability to go out and perform against other great athletes.

Whether you love him or hate him, ESPN is getting their money's worth because half the people love to listen to his insight (in his own style of English) and the other half has to tune in just so they can disagree and hate him.

i completely agree, espn is definitely getting their money's worth, from the i-fans and the i-haters. . he's fun to watch. for me,with the sound down he's great. i think i have stopped channel-surfing a few times when i see one of those suits.
and yeah, they are all egotists, and i agree it's a necessary trait. from what i read in si, it's as prevalent in womens' tennis, both sides of golf, etc as it is in football.

ilduce06410 said:
hey texpat, where you from?
the only post of mine i can find on this topic begins with this:
"i think the crack comes from from the tailor. look i know these east texas towns he's been stopped in. if he doesn't have enough common sense than to drive thru those towns with a pipe under his seat... they should take away his license just for that."

so what did i say and when did i say it?
now, i remember THINKING that was irvin was trying protect the prestige of the cowboys' dynasty. he's certainly not objective about that. it's also natural. i get taken to task for what i'm thinking all the time, my wife does that. but who, pray tell, are you?
as to the east texas towns where he was stopped, question 1:
how do i know them:
spent some of my little-boy summers around up in there, denton, clarksville, greenville. god it is gorgeous land, particularly farther north. maybe 5 summers in toto. took rides in cars with relatives, etc., saw things, heard things. do you remember the banner hanging over the main street in greenville?

queston 2: where was he stopped:
AHA! as it turns out the only reference to a traffic stop in that area was "denton county". the place he got pulled over in his car was plano, and any damn fool knows plano is NE of dallas. also, greenville and clarksville are NOT in denton county, so obviously i'm bull$sh!tting you, right?
what, do you believe michael irvin should think he can drive around small-town east texas without drawing attention?

Any d*mn fool knows Plano is a suburb directly north of Dallas, sharing a border with parts of Dallas and Richardson. It is commonly referred to as North Texas area, not east Texas. The small town (Plano)you refer to has a population of over 250,000. Why would Irvin not drive through there, especially since he owns a home there?

Re: the banner in Greenville (which is east Texas) has been gone for 30 or so years along with some of the racists attitudes. Believe it or not, they even allow blacks with tailored clothing who don't speak perfect English to go through town just like whites. They even live in the city limits. (Tongue in cheek.)

Perhaps old fogies like you should start living in the present instead of the past.

Last edited:
texpat said:
Any d*mn fool knows Plano is a suburb directly north of Dallas, sharing a border with parts of Dallas and Richardson. It is commonly referred to as North Texas area, not east Texas. The small town (Plano)you refer to has a population of over 250,000. Why would Irvin not drive through there, especially since he owns a home there?

Re: the banner in Greenville (which is east Texas) has been gone for 30 or so years along with some of the racists attitudes. Believe it or not, they even allow blacks with tailored clothing who don't speak perfect English to go through town just like whites. They even live in the city limits. (Tongue in cheek.)

Perhaps old fogies like you should start living in the present instead of the past.
god forbid i should remember something from WHEN I WAS A LITTLE BOY, texpat
glad to know the banner came down around 1975.
i did not say plano was a small town. from what i wrote, you could get the impression that i said plano was in east texas. mea culpa.
heck, i grew up in houston, and i can barely find my way around now. wo'd have ever thought something -- reliant -- would make the astrodome look small.
still, do you believe that east texas towns are a good place for michael irvin to drive around in?
and what have i written that would cause you to call me a name? why did you select "old fogie"?

don't mess with texas?

hey texpat, are you defending the great state of texas?
heck, if that's what this is about, i understand.

You stated: "look i know these east texas towns he's been stopped in."

Then I asked: "What E. Texas towns has he been stopped in and how do you know them?" (Not knowing of any east texas towns he's been stopped in.)

You cast a negative over an entire region, based on your experiences 30+ years ago. Times have changed considerably, so I don't think you "know" these east texas towns today.

That along with your comments about tailoring, bad English, etc. you sound just like my dad, whom I also call an old fogie.

Yes, there is probably a town or 2 in E. Texas that Michael wouldn't be welcome. Just as there probably is in FL, GA, MASS, NH, NY, RI, CO, ND, etc.

If you don't like Irvin due to the fact he's a womanizer,"recovering" drug addict, and has a huge ego, I would understand. But it appears many don't like him because he doesn't dress or speak like themselves.

Last edited:
now i understand

texpat said:
You stated: "look i know these east texas towns he's been stopped in."

Then I asked: "What E. Texas towns has he been stopped in and how do you know them?" (Not knowing of any east texas towns he's been stopped in.)

You cast a negative over an entire region, based on your experiences 30+ years ago. Times have changed considerably, so I don't think you "know" these east texas towns today.

That along with your comments about tailoring, bad English, etc. you sound just like my dad, whom I also call an old fogie.

Yes, there is probably a town or 2 in E. Texas that Michael wouldn't be welcome. Just as there probably is in FL, GA, MASS, NH, NY, RI, CO, ND, etc.

If you don't like Irvin due to the fact he's a womanizer,"recovering" drug addict, and has a huge ego, I would understand. But it appears many don't like him because he doesn't dress or speak like themselves.

you're telling me it's about what i said, rather than remarking about who i am.
those suits will always crack me up. but dang if i don't look to see what he's wearing.
i sound like your dad? jeez i am getting old.
i am myself a recovering drug addict, 20 years clean come july. we recovering drug addicts tend to be loquacious, as stylish as we can be, and frequently wrong. but that doesn't mean it's not annoying (simle).
womanizing? far be it from me. huge ego, like i said before, THEY ALL DO. IT'S A REQUISITE.
i think you are attributing some attitudes to me that are not warranted from reading what actually has been said. you'll need to chill out on that.
and i will chill out on east texas---a couple FRIENDS of mine have told me the same---but if i can't even get away with it on a football messageboard, then...
and MICHAEL IRVIN HAS NO BIZ DRICVING THRU EAST TEXAS, OR MASS, OR CT, OR LA, OR MO WITH A CRACK PIPE UNDER HIS SEAT!!

ilduce06410 said:
and MICHAEL IRVIN HAS NO BIZ DRICVING THRU EAST TEXAS, OR MASS, OR CT, OR LA, OR MO WITH A CRACK PIPE UNDER HIS SEAT!!

Even if he took it from a "friend, brother, or whoever" who has been in and out of treatment?????

His "story" was that he took it from someone who came to his home on Thanksgiving, he placed it in his vehicle, not wanting in his home, and was going to get rid of it away from home, but failed to do so.

The irony is you can buy a pipe legally at a headshop, but that it's illegal to posess one.

If he took it from you to help keep you clean, would that bother you???

texpat said:
The irony is you can buy a pipe legally at a headshop, but that it's illegal to posess one.

It's not illegal to possess one unless it is used to smoke illegal drugs. Obviously this pipe had residue or "product" in it.

By "you" do you mean friend, brother, hitchhicker or space alien...he changed who owned the pipe so many times it is confusing who he was "saving"....I guess we should add "broadcast career". :rolleyes:

pats-blue said:
It's not illegal to possess one unless it is used to smoke illegal drugs. Obviously this pipe had residue or "product" in it.

By "you" do you mean friend, brother, hitchhicker or space alien...he changed who owned the pipe so many times it is confusing who he was "saving"....I guess we should add "broadcast career". :rolleyes:

Pats Blue,

I'm in the Dallas area, and right after this occurred, a local station did a report on this. In Texas, there is a law against "drug paraphernalia". The reporter went into a headshop, bought a pipe, which is legal to sell, but as soon as he walked outside with it, he is guilty of the "possession of drug paraphernalia law".

Stupid law written by stupid lawmakers without enough other problems to worry about.

The you was in response to another poster who has been clean for 20+years.

what is this?

texpat said:
Even if he took it from a "friend, brother, or whoever" who has been in and out of treatment?????

His "story" was that he took it from someone who came to his home on Thanksgiving, he placed it in his vehicle, not wanting in his home, and was going to get rid of it away from home, but failed to do so.

texpat, i keep trying to have a conversation with you as opposed to a confrontation.
you've pointed out, and i've acknowledged, that i had no business trashing the towns of east texas, that i had no biz saying that. ok.
you've also pointed out that whatever his attire or manner speech, irvin is an asset to espn.
i've agreed.
but these posts from you continue to be personal and confrontationlal.
if there is a specific point you are trying to make with your posts, i am too dumb to find it.
unfortunately you'll have to spell it out for me.

ilduce06410,

I apologize if I appear confrontational. Sometimes words on a board can look different than the writer intended when you can't see the writer's expressions.

I love to play Devil's advocate.

My last post to you was in reply to your statement that:
IRVIN HAS NO BUSINESS ANYWHERE WITH A CRACK PIPE IN HIS CAR....(not exact wording).

I came back asking if it was alright if he took it from someone who had a drug problem, but that Irvin was trying to help, but that he had not had a chance to dispose of it somewhere away from home.

We can leave it as Irvin is a controversial person regardless.

Merry Christmas to you!

now that that's settled...

texpat said:
ilduce06410,

I apologize if I appear confrontational. Sometimes words on a board can look different than the writer intended when you can't see the writer's expressions.

I love to play Devil's advocate.

My last post to you was in reply to your statement that:
IRVIN HAS NO BUSINESS ANYWHERE WITH A CRACK PIPE IN HIS CAR....(not exact wording).

I came back asking if it was alright if he took it from someone who had a drug problem, but that Irvin was trying to help, but that he had not had a chance to dispose of it somewhere away from home.

We can leave it as Irvin is a controversial person regardless.

Merry Christmas to you!

is it alright? that's his business, and between him and the other person.
i can tell you this---IMHO recovering addicts have no business carrying someone else's paraphenaila, in any state, anywhere. i suspect it's done every day, but that's my opinion, i'm entitled to it, and i won't debate it with you.
i'll agree that a sentence like "That along with your comments about tailoring, bad English, etc. you sound just like my dad, whom I also call an old fogie." can be misconstrued when it's not the spoken word.
as for your comment, "Perhaps old fogies like you should start living in the present instead of the past.", that's a political issue. i have some thoughts on that. but we'd have to talk about that off-line.

how about you return to some of the "innocent" questionssome of which i asked and you ignored, ana a couple new ones..
where are you in texas? where in the dallas area?
by the way, what are folks' opinions on jerry jones?
how did you come to be "texpat", assuming that means you're a [atriots fan living in texas?
have you seen reliant stadium sitting next to the astrodome?

and merry christmas to you and yours. let us remember the reason.

Have lived in Plano since '87, originally moved to Dallas from Atlanta as a child in summer of '66. Great time to start learning about football and experience the greatness of "America's Team".

Jerry Jones is similar to Kraft in that they both want to do whatever it takes to make their organizations the best they can be. Jones will do everything to promote his team and the league. He also knows how to make money, which in some people's eyes make's him greedy. Does a 10-15 minute radio show every week during the season and is enjoyable to listen to. Probably a guy who would be fun to play a round of golf with or have a beer (for those who do.) Has his hands on every aspect of the team, which sometimes gets him out of his area of expertise.

TexPat, short and easy to remember.
Some will call me a bandwagoner, but have had a connection to the team since '01. We'll leave it at that.

Saw the Pats beat the Texans by a Vianteri FG and saw Pats beat Panthers by a Vinateri FG in SB 38 at Reliant in '03 season. Reliant is a great stadium. Was in the upper deck endzone for both games, but could see just fine. Nice big screens to watch above both endzones. The end zones are very steep so that keeps you close but high above the field. Drove back to Plano after the SB game, got home around 3AM, had to be at work at 8AM.

There you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes