PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin accused of Rape

If that's not rich, I'd love to be not rich.

To be fair, you said "filthy rich", which when I think of that I think of wealth... Like Chris Rock said... Shaquile O'Neil is rich.... the guy who signs Shaq's check is wealthy...

$15m in wealth rich
"Filthy" rich

Distinction without a difference
Nah.
There's a "difference." I've known people along the spectrum from a few million to 10 or 15 million to a hundred million plus and, believe me, there's a difference. Put it this way. Let's say one is taking the whole fan-damily to Athens for vacation...four or five people. It's the difference among flying Business, flying First, Leasing a Plane or taking your own Plane. And that's just the flight over...

Another obviously guilty cowboy.

Nah.
There's a "difference." I've known people along the spectrum from a few million to 10 or 15 million to a hundred million plus and, believe me, there's a difference. Put it this way. Let's say one is taking the whole fan-damily to Athens for vacation...four or five people. It's the difference among flying Business, flying First, Leasing a Plane or taking your own Plane. And that's just the flight over...

There's no difference. "Filthy rich" isn't anything concrete. There's no cutoff other than the speaker's opinion.

$15m in wealth rich
"Filthy" rich

Distinction without a difference
I'd say there's a difference. One or two bad decisions can break someone worth $15M. The real mega rich are far more failure-proof.

I'll give you the examples of Joe Montana and Curt Schilling, Both are, by all accounts, bankrupt now despite lifetime earnings in the 8 digits. That's about the same level Irvin's at. It really doesn't take much if a guy like that starts investing badly.

I'd say there's a difference. One or two bad decisions can break someone worth $15M. The real mega rich are far more failure-proof.

I'll give you the examples of Joe Montana and Curt Schilling, Both are, by all accounts, bankrupt now despite lifetime earnings in the 8 digits. That's about the same level Irvin's at. It really doesn't take much if a guy like that starts investing badly.

There's no difference, and you people are trying too hard.

I'm not sure where you're getting this theory, but the evidence doesn't support it.

Take a look at the next post I had. Didn't claim to have data and addressed where I was coming from. The idea that there would be data on something like that, other than cases that are picked up, acquitted, then reopened and found to be guilty woukd be the only concrete data I could think of.

That being said, I'm thinking of every time a famous person or even regular person is accused of rape- there is a whirlwind of victim blaming and assumed motives. That's what I'm operating off of. Just as it's ridiculous to assume Irvin is guilty, it's silly to not acknowledge the weird stigma that people have when women report rape, especially when it comes to famous people.

Just did a large story on rape in the military so I'm somewhat influenced by that. But I'd be remiss if I didn't admit to the very obvious difference in sexual harassment trends between the military and civilian life.

There's no difference. "Filthy rich" isn't anything concrete. There's no cutoff other than the speaker's opinion.

Hey, cool! That's a classic formulation of "the argument of the beard"! (AKA the "line-drawing fallacy" or "continuum fallacy.") That's the logical fallacy that if there's no clear cutoff on a continuum between two states, therefore there's no difference between the two states:

X is one extreme, and Y is another extreme.
There is no definable point where X becomes Y
Therefore, there is no difference between X and Y.

In other words, in the deep offseason Patsfans have to work extra-hard to find things to argue about. :D

Hey, cool! That's a classic formulation of "the argument of the beard"! (AKA the "line-drawing fallacy" or "continuum fallacy.") That's the logical fallacy that if there's no clear cutoff on a continuum between two states, therefore there's no difference between the two states:

In other words, in the deep offseason Patsfans have to work extra-hard to find things to argue about. :D
Feel free to drop this :)

mic.png

I think everyone considers it wealthy

Rich is not a good word to use, wealthy is the appropriate word

I golfed with a man named Rich a few years ago who invited me to play golf with him and his wife. After the round we were having lunch and he says. 'I'm Rich and it's not just my name.' The ughhhhhhh on my face had to be visible.

Then I find out that the round was a freebie because he mistakenly used a coupon that wasn't good the week before and threatened to sue the course if he didn't get to play for free that day.

Luckily, I don't run into him much anymore.

No.....

In other words, $15m is a specific number, and "filthy rich" is a general opinion about a number, rather than a specifically identifiable number. One man may consider a million bucks to be filthy rich, while another insists that even $15m isn't filthy rich, and both are correct from their own persspective.

And, yes, people are arguing about a whole lot of nothing. :)

Irvin's net worth is $15M. I don't think that qualifies as filthy rich. As we've seen in some highly publicized rape accusations, being accused doesn't automatically mean one did it either.
All I can say is that I wish I was that filthy.

Wow you know its the off season when there is a fight about whether filthy rich is someone that has 15 mil or 250 mil and so forth. You know that this is really pathetic but is comedy gold.

How can the nfl network or showtime allow Irvin anywhere near their facilities?

This guy is a drugged out joke and should not be allowed on the air ever!

someone at these networks should be fired!

How can the nfl network or showtime allow Irvin anywhere near their facilities?

This guy is a drugged out joke and should not be allowed on the air ever!

someone at these networks should be fired!

Personally I like the guy. I hope the allegations are not true.

There's no difference, and you people are trying too hard.
So what do you think Matt Damon considers someone like Elon Musk to be when he's thinking finances?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back