PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers' lateral ... why I'm mad at it

That play is apparently scored as a zero carry and a negative rush, which messes up the code on the stats page, and now I have to rewrite it so that the totals add up and it sorts correctly.

Couldn't have just gone down ... (sigh)

season 7 the play's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

You get high marks for originality.

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian
The fact that Belichick and Patricia didn't just take a knee was a huge slap in the face to the defense. The only reason to run a very low percentage play there rather than take a knee is that you do not trust your defense to make a stop in overtime. A draw play in that situation has such a remote chance of doing anything other than to pad the RB's stats that it isn't worth running in the first place.

Even if Jones couldn't throw it far enough into the endzone, there is more of a chance that a receiver will catch the ball at like say the ten yard line and run it in than a RB running 50 yards for a TD.

It was a stupid call that had more risk than reward and it bit them in the arse. Belichick used to be smarter than this. I wonder if he let Patricia make the call and he is covering for him.
Stevenson actually had more yards rushing, and more yards/rush, than Jones had passing and per/reception in the game, even before the last 23 yards rush and lateral.

Also, Stevenson had recently scored a 34 yards rushing TD. Before the whole lateral business it wasn't a bad play. Run a play, that probably isn't expected, with your best play maker and hope he can find a hole.

Stevenson actually had more yards rushing, and more yards/rush, than Jones had passing and per/reception in the game, even before the last 23 yards rush and lateral.

Also, Stevenson had recently scored a 34 yards rushing TD. Before the whole lateral business it wasn't a bad play. Run a play, that probably isn't expected, with your best play maker and hope he can find a hole.

You are not going to score on a draw play that far out like that. Stevenson only got so far because seven of the Raiders’ defenders were playing the Hail Mary pass. No way would Stevenson gotten into the end zone. There was a better chance he fumbled the ball and a Raiders defender ran it back for a TD.

You are not going to score on a draw play that far out like that. Stevenson only got so far because seven of the Raiders’ defenders were playing the Hail Mary pass. No way would Stevenson gotten into the end zone. There was a better chance he fumbled the ball and a Raiders defender ran it back for a TD.
Hey lets not Todd Bowles things :D

Is it probable he scores? No. But given how Mac Jones was playing in the game it was the best shot.

A play earlier in the game proves Belichick wrong.

That same pass would have landed at about the 8 yard line on a Hail Mary. Patriots were 55 yards from endzone. 47 yard pass + 7 yard drop back.

That same pass would have landed at about the 8 yard line on a Hail Mary. Patriots were 55 yards from endzone. 47 yard pass + 7 yard drop back.

Yeah, but Jones threw off his back foot on the other play. I think if he stepped into his throw, he could make up the seven yards.

The Miami Miracle was worse to me.
Exactly. Ultimately, they wound up winning the Super Bowl including one of my all time favorite games against the Chiefs on the road, but had they lost to KC... that Miami Miracle game was the reason they were on the road. Much better chance to win at home.

Exactly. Ultimately, they wound up winning the Super Bowl including one of my all time favorite games against the Chiefs on the road, but had they lost to KC... that Miami Miracle game was the reason they were on the road. Much better chance to win at home.
Tom was able to make up for/cover up some fundamental flaws in our strategy and play calling; the reason he left was he was fed up and couldn't take it anymore. In trying to outsmart everyone, Bill overthinks it and often defies obvious common sense.

I think Bill's simply not employing the motivating tactics he used to to enhance the focus of the players.

They're an unfocused, confused team.

Seemed like a natural spot to throw a Hail Mary. But I guess Belichick said Mac doesn’t have the arm for it. Which is concerning considering it was near mid field and in a dome.
To be a "hail mary", does it have to reach the end zone, or can it just be a really long, desperate pass that get caught at say the 10 and is run in?

To be a "hail mary", does it have to reach the end zone, or can it just be a really long, desperate pass that get caught at say the 10 and is run in?
It's risky.

Strip sack, fumble, pick.

*The way this offense has been, taking a knee made the most sense, with three seconds left.

But I think RS could have kept going if he hadn't turned and crazily lateraled. Maybe even all the way.

Ian, I thought at first glance the title said, "Why I'm NOT mad at it." I was about to get banned.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
Just finished updating the team's totals and re-coded the portion that fixed this issue. Still have to get caught up on opponent numbers, but this has been solved and updated ;)

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back