PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers' lateral ... why I'm mad at it

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
That play is apparently scored as a zero carry and a negative rush, which messes up the code on the stats page, and now I have to rewrite it so that the totals add up and it sorts correctly.

Couldn't have just gone down ... (sigh)

season 7 the play's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Since a lateral is part of a running play, a lateral caught by the defense ought to be a fumble recovery.

By that logic, Mondre would be credited for his rushing yards to the point where he lateralled it, Jakobi would be credited for negative rushing yards for catching the first lateral, Jakobi would then be credited with having fumbled at the point that he lateralled it, then the rest of the play would be fumble return yards.

That would make sense, at least

Glad to see you're focused on the important (or is it parochial) things, Ian :)

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
This play infuriates me because it never should have happened. The Raider touchdown is the text book example of why instant replay needs to go. That wasn’t some subjective call by the ref. It was black and white night and day obvious. I’d rather scrap replay and think a ref simply blew a call Ryan know they manufactured a result. The raiders may have scored anyway but then that play never happens. That ref should never work another game again. And by the way the right angles were certainly available. That is more plausible deniability for the NFL.

That play is apparently scored as a zero carry and a negative rush, which messes up the code on the stats page, and now I have to rewrite it so that the totals add up and it sorts correctly.

season 7 the play's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
You use Python?

Jonnu was JUST AS BAD. 4th and goal. He was NOT SET causing the QB sneak TD to be negated and settle for 3pts.

Jonnu is pathetic and total waste of $$$.

season 7 the play's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants's the thing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
This play literally cost me my fantasy this week and if I didn't do so well it could have cost me the playoffs if I lost one more game.

Jonnu was JUST AS BAD. 4th and goal. He was NOT SET causing the QB sneak TD to be negated and settle for 3pts.

Jonnu is pathetic and total waste of $$$.
I agree his contract looks awful. But I put that one on Mac. He was rushing it and not allowing time for his guys to get set.

Seemed like a natural spot to throw a Hail Mary. But I guess Belichick said Mac doesn’t have the arm for it. Which is concerning considering it was near mid field and in a dome.

PHP on this one. But I've needed to recode this for a while (I did the current one like 8+ years ago) so it's essentially forcing me to finally update it.
Do you have a Github by any chance? Would love to see your work

After watching it several times…this definitely ranks right up there with the DUMBEST decisions/plays in the HISTORY of the NFL……I would love to know in all honestly if Meyers went “rogue” like he did….or if Fatt Matt or BB thought this RIDICULOUS plan might work…..but we will Never know! We, BB and the team will forever have to endure replays of this WORST PLAY of all time however …..like the Butt fumble or the fake punt by Indy….

The fact that Belichick and Patricia didn't just take a knee was a huge slap in the face to the defense. The only reason to run a very low percentage play there rather than take a knee is that you do not trust your defense to make a stop in overtime. A draw play in that situation has such a remote chance of doing anything other than to pad the RB's stats that it isn't worth running in the first place.

Even if Jones couldn't throw it far enough into the endzone, there is more of a chance that a receiver will catch the ball at like say the ten yard line and run it in than a RB running 50 yards for a TD.

It was a stupid call that had more risk than reward and it bit them in the arse. Belichick used to be smarter than this. I wonder if he let Patricia make the call and he is covering for him.

Seemed like a natural spot to throw a Hail Mary. But I guess Belichick said Mac doesn’t have the arm for it. Which is concerning considering it was near mid field and in a dome.
You are right….if you really watch Macs mechanics….he has to put EVERYTHING into his deep throws while Mahomes….Brady…..Rodgers (maybe not this year) and many other QB make it look effortless….Mac’s Hail Mary unfortunately would have come down at about the LV 20

I'm sorry, there are mistakes and there are mistakes. I am hoping Jakobi really was just trying to be a hero. Then that is just world class dumbassery. But I guess the point is something about the stats & how much work it caused, in this thread at least. But that is just the crappiest crappy crap this year. It's not the worst thing ever to happen, it's just really bad by what should be N.E.'s standards. I'm not saying "I am entitled to see my team in every super bowl," that was fun but it's over. I am just sayng, that's the kind of thing you do when you DON'T have an effective "floor" of middle of the pack. We start being okay with THAT, we're going to see how bad it can really get. Plus yes I am super-mad that we are heading into a tough stretch where we have to go at least 2-1 and maybe 3-0 to get into the post-season... and this was a very winnable game.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back