PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Met Dan Koppen last Friday....visit to Titans today

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, last Friday I was at Remys in the Seaport district of Boston/Southie. Was walkin to the bathroom after a few Sam Summers (still can't believe they're already out) when I walked by a guy that looked just like Dan Koppen. Walked back to my table, and peered back, yup that is Dan Koppen. So the next time I went to the bathroom (yup when I drink I have the bladder of a ****er spaniel) I tapped him on the shoulder....

Me: Dan?
Dan: yup
Me: Hey man, big fan, season ticket holder. How you feelin?
Dan: I'm gettin there
Me: So you think you'll be back
Dan: (with legit sincerity in his voice) I hope so (very unlike my exchange with Damien Woody years ago when he was about to be a free agent)
Me: Well, just know if you're not back that we all appreciate what you've done here and wish you the best of luck wherever you go
Dan: (kinda leaned back like shocked I could be so nice or somethin) Thanks man!

Anyway, just thought I would share. Like I said I could truly tell he wanted to be back. When I asked Damien Woody basically the same question years ago he answered with something like "well, I've been in the area for a while, so we'll see." Koppen just seemed like a real chill guy, which is just nice to see. So, best of luck in Tennessee if he indeed ends up there. Obviously he was somewhat of a pleasant surprise being a somewhat late pick. I know we all thought he would be a beast when he kinda burst onto the scene, and he did have some years we thought were maybe slightly dissapointing. But, overall he was a great center, and seems like he might also be a great guy.

That's pretty cool that you saw him and spoke with him. Unlike QBs or WRs, Offensive lineman probably don't get a ton of people recognizing them so they may be more open to talk to the people that do notice them.

Anyone know why he was put on IR in week one? Maybe it was more complicated an injury than advertised, but you'd think he could come back at least for the playoffs from a broken ankle.

I wish him well. Lineman on both sides of both the ball really work their backsides off on every play and don't get the credit they deserve. Dan has been a solid Centre in his time at the Pats, so it would be nice if he came back.

Anyone know why he was put on IR in week one? Maybe it was more complicated an injury than advertised, but you'd think he could come back at least for the playoffs from a broken ankle.

Bill doesn't have that tendancy to wait for the savior to return, he really preaches next man up because he believes in it. Last season we had a lot of issues cropping up, especially on defense but also on offense and had to churn the roster quite a bit and sometimes ended up releasing or IR'ing players we may not have wanted to in order to keep others we weren't ready to give up on or needed to plug unforseen gaps. IR was similar to releasing him since he was in the last year of his contract. I got my head bitten off for opining he would have to take a lesser deal, possibly backup or stopgap money to be brought back, but that seems to be the case. I think Bill waited a bit to long on some of the defenders who played on those SB teams but he's not as inclined to do so on offense, particularly on OL. I don't think Light would have been back last season if not for the lockout, but that changed a lot of thinking temporarily and it worked out pretty well too. I would have thought that the Mankins situation and possibility of Light retiring might have upped the ante on retaining Koppen, but apparently it hasn't yet, or at least not to the level Dan needs it to.

Last edited:
My guess is that the Patriots are waiting til after the draft to decide whether to try to sign him or not. Lack of position flexibility is an issue. There is no room on the roster for a backup OL who only plays center. Too bad he's not a long snapper--he'd probably add about 4 years and $4-5M to his career.

On the other hand, he got a pretty good second contract and played it all the way out. Hope he saved some of that money.

I kind of remember reading that he may have torn some ligaments along with the break. But of course that info never can really be confirmed with the Patriots...

Wish the very best for Dan whatever de does.
Personally I hope he doesn't get a big Tits offer & returns to the Pats

On the other hand, he got a pretty good second contract and played it all the way out. Hope he saved some of that money.

In the two minutes that I met him, he def appeared to be a guy that probably saved some of it. Was wearin a plain grey t shirt and drinkin beers at a sports bar.....not exactly livin the Lebron lifestyle wearin D&G (Dolce and Gabanna...hellloo) with bottle service in the theatre district or anything.

Well, I guess he was a man of his word, he really did wanna stay

I met Dan and his wife the morning after SB42. Even though that was obviously a very painful time for him (and me!), he was very cool and we chatted for a few minutes.

I'm glad that he and his cute wife are back.

He and Brady are BFFs.

As TFB once said:

On the loss of Dan Koppen and the play of Dan Connolly: “Kope, I’ve taken so many snaps from him over the years, and we have such great communication. He’s one of my best friends on the team. But Dan (Connolly) stepped in yesterday and really played well. That center-quarterback exchange is important. Can’t have a play if you don’t have that. And (Connolly) has been a really dependable, consistent player. He’s strong and as athletic as could be. … But I’ve always said (about Koppen), there’s only one other butt I like on this planet, and that’s my wife’s.

;)

The NFLN is reporting that the new deal is worth $6M/2 years.
That was a nice story in the OP; I still hope that the contract is somewhat back-loaded,
however, because $3M/season is more than I would've offered. Perhaps Tennessee proposed
something similar, and Koppen called the FO to see if they could come close in a counter-offer.

I met Dan and his wife the morning after SB42. Even though that was obviously a very painful time for him (and me!), he was very cool and we chatted for a few minutes.

I'm glad that he and his cute wife are back.

I feel like an audience member on Match Game for doing so, but anyway...

How cute is she?

Very cute and in good shape without looking fake.

For those not inclined to click the youtube link. You're welcome.

fa6b5a1fbf_amber.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore