PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather trade value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not all that high on Meriweather right now. Something about him reminds me of Laurence Maroney (can't quite put my finger on what it is) and I was happy to see him go. Saying that I'm not that jettisoning Meriweather at this point would be a good idea, there isn't really a lot of safety depth in this year's draft but if BB felt he had the tools at safety to succeed with out Meriweather I wouldn't question him. I doubt though that his Pro-Bowl status would raise his value, as a number of people have said the Pro-Bowl is a popularity contest and isn't indicative of the players' talent plus I'm sure teams know what they're doing with scouting and would be able to base a player's value on a lot more than just a Pro-Bowl spot

There are several factors working against his trade value:
1) Safety is not a high value position
2) He has one year left on his rookie deal
3) He is not viewed as an impact player

4th or 5th round at best.

I am not in the "#31 for HOF" club but he has been quite solid this year, I don't see a need for any change.

Last edited:
have no idea how he got selected into the pro bowl.

Maybe it's reputational, but clearly the rest of the players/coaches in the conference view him differently than Pats fans do.

I think Meriweather has potential, that he's not a great excuse for a Pro Bowler, and that if they could get a 2nd rounder for him, they should do it. Maybe even for a 3rd. I understand some folks here go over the top on their dislike for him, but I honestly don't understand why he has so many FERVENT supporters here. He's immature, takes terrible angles and doesn't wrap up as a tackler. No thanks.

Last edited:
Seems like a perfect fit for the Raiders. Al would probably give us a couple of firsts for him...

I dont think there would be any "value" in trading Merriweather..

I am not the biggest fan of Merriweather because it seems he makes mental mistakes often... especially on plays like the one against GreenBay when he took out McCourty..

However he is phisical player, is a good teammate, and potentialy could be an OUTSTANDING safty as time goes on..

I guess I think that there is still time for him to get smarter and excell..

We are not talking Lawrence Marony here... Merriweather can play the game! just needs to play smarter..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News