PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meet Tim Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was. But he improved leaps and bounds over where he was at with the Gators. I'm sure he would have rather just pulled out at pistol and shot LB's and CB's, though.

I'm not sure I wanted to laugh at that ... but let the record show that I did. o_O

Lets not forget, the guy caught 54 passes for 500+ yards as a ROOKIE. thats not just something any JAG can do. Those numbers are very comparable to Hernandez/Gronks rookie years. The guy has skills and football intelligence to be successful.

Wright's numbers were actually historically good according to Tim Wright to New England: Should You Add Him in Fantasy Football? | numberFire
What many don’t realize is that Tim Wright was actually historically good last season. In fact, we’ve only seen five other rookie tight ends in the history of the NFL catch 50 passes for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns. And he did this without seeing a single target during Weeks 1 and 2 last year.

If Wright continues to pick up the offense, I suspect he'll be a significant contributor to this offense's cause this season.

Belichick having his eye on a tight end who's also from Rutgers for a while. I tend to doubt that would happen.

Fixed for accuracy.

You know, somewhere deep in his heart, BB still longs for the year when he can have his all-TE draft. :)

Geez, I might have to take back those posts I made the other day about keeping low expectations for this guy the first half of the season while he ramps up and how the key will be having him on the system by mid-December.

And then I remembered it was against 4th stringers last night.

All the same, McDaniels put him in motion a few times and had him play 43 snaps on ONE day of practice. Hell, I'm not sure he knows everybody's uniform number yet.

THAT was what was so impressive last night. Great football intelligence. Remember Ochocinco and Brandon Lloyd lining up wrong at the LOS halfway into their seasons here.

Actually, a fair bit of it was against ones and twos.

There is already a lengthy highlight reel on YouTube of his rookie season. The reason Tampa was down on him is they have WRs his size and prototype sized TEs who flashed talent in camp. They needed a guard not a tweener TE with WR size. Had nothing to do with his ability on the field which is impressive.

Tim Wright is fairly sudden in breaks with no wasted motion. He has very good not great quickness and speed but definitely plays a little faster than his 4.65 as he gets off the line and in and out of breaks instantly.He is physical for 225 lbs both in his routes fighting for the ball and they say he gives top effort blocking both inline when he does and down field and usually seals a blitzing LB long enough. Kinda like Shannon Sharpe. If he can fill his frame out to 230-235 which he has the frame to do so, he can be at least a functional blocker. And doesn't matter if a TE is 230 or 250, if you can block, you can block! He reminds a lot of Brandon Marshall as a pass catcher. He only needs a small window of separation and he can let the qb put it where only he can adjust to the ball and he will as he makes great adjustments to the football no matter if the ball is thrown high and away or low low and tight with a defender a step behind and he has the very reliable hands to pluck it effortlessly. If he worked an off season with Kenbrell and his cousin Antonio Brown to increase his quickness,speed and flexibility to gain a step of speed and quickness and explosiveness he could be a Brandon Marshall clone because that's who he reminds me of but a step slower. If he could get his 40 time to a consistent 4.50-4.55 and his 3 cone at around 7.0 even or better he could be a 100 catch 1250 yard 10 TD guy like Marshall because it would show he improved his speed and quickness by a step and his workout stats will translate to the field due to he is a player. And he doesnt seem like he would mind xtra hard work in his off season Either way if he filled out a little to be a blocking threat or gained a step of speed and quickness to be a more dangerous WR he does have potential for pro bowl consideration.

Reiss says Wright is close to 230 lbs:

Here's another thing I learned about Wright: While he's listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds on the roster, he's actually closer to 230, which has helped him be more competitive in blocking situations. The added weight obviously hasn't compromised his quickness and smoothness in getting out of his breaks as he's still growing into the position.

Quick-hit thoughts around the NFL, and the Patriots - espnBoston

Tim Wright sure sounds like a Patriot:

Wright tough on himself. Tight end Tim Wright’s toughest critic may be himself. When asked about what he did right and what he can improve on from his debut with the Patriots in Thursday’s preseason finale, he came down hard on himself. “Everything wasn’t done right. Playing fast, just going out there and doing my job. Catching balls and blocking doing whatever the coaches ask.” But Wright feels ready to contribute wherever the team wants him to play, whether that is at tight end or wide receiver. “I feel like I can be used in all types of ways, but it’s up to the coaches to determine that and see what fits best for me and my teammates,” he said. “Football is football at the end of the day. It’s a ball and whatever that description may entail, that’s what I will just go out there and try to do.”

New England Patriots' Sealver Siliga 'ready to get this thing going' - esonBoston

There is already a lengthy highlight reel on YouTube of his rookie season. The reason Tampa was down on him is they have WRs his size and prototype sized TEs who flashed talent in camp. They needed a guard not a tweener TE with WR size. Had nothing to do with his ability on the field which is impressive.

Tim Wright is fairly sudden in breaks with no wasted motion. He has very good not great quickness and speed but definitely plays a little faster than his 4.65 as he gets off the line and in and out of breaks instantly.He is physical for 225 lbs both in his routes fighting for the ball and they say he gives top effort blocking both inline when he does and down field and usually seals a blitzing LB long enough. Kinda like Shannon Sharpe. If he can fill his frame out to 230-235 which he has the frame to do so, he can be at least a functional blocker. And doesn't matter if a TE is 230 or 250, if you can block, you can block! He reminds a lot of Brandon Marshall as a pass catcher. He only needs a small window of separation and he can let the qb put it where only he can adjust to the ball and he will as he makes great adjustments to the football no matter if the ball is thrown high and away or low low and tight with a defender a step behind and he has the very reliable hands to pluck it effortlessly. If he worked an off season with Kenbrell and his cousin Antonio Brown to increase his quickness,speed and flexibility to gain a step of speed and quickness and explosiveness he could be a Brandon Marshall clone because that's who he reminds me of but a step slower. If he could get his 40 time to a consistent 4.50-4.55 and his 3 cone at around 7.0 even or better he could be a 100 catch 1250 yard 10 TD guy like Marshall because it would show he improved his speed and quickness by a step and his workout stats will translate to the field due to he is a player. And he doesnt seem like he would mind xtra hard work in his off season Either way if he filled out a little to be a blocking threat or gained a step of speed and quickness to be a more dangerous WR he does have potential for pro bowl consideration.
Block of text.

So basically what you're saying is if he can get faster than he will be better than he currently is.

Thanks for that wisdom.

IMO he just needs to learn the playbook QUICK and get on the same page as Brady. He will be a stud in our offense if he can adjust to Belichicks coaching style

Some early optimistm from Josh McD about Tim Wright:

“We just got him, and he was able to come in here and learn enough to be able to go out there and play for us in a preseason game for fortysomething some snaps or whatever it was,” McDaniels said of Wright, a Rutgers product who caught 54 passes last season with the Bucs.

“He’€™s working hard [and] certainly a bright kid, and has some talent that hopefully we can utilize,” McDaniels added. “He just seems to fit in good and has a good attitude and work ethic. I’€™m just excited about seeing what we can do going forward. It’€™s very early, and we’€™ve only really had one practice. Hopefully we can build on his start and try to add a little here and there to what he knows of our offensive system and get our guys comfortable working together.”

It Is What It Is >> Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels 'really impressed' by TE Tim Wright

I have a really good feeling about Wright. When all is said and done I think he's going to be a significant contributor in this offense in so many ways.

Reiss says Wright is close to 230 lbs:

Here's another thing I learned about Wright: While he's listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds on the roster, he's actually closer to 230, which has helped him be more competitive in blocking situations. The added weight obviously hasn't compromised his quickness and smoothness in getting out of his breaks as he's still growing into the position.

Quick-hit thoughts around the NFL, and the Patriots - espnBoston

According to this source, he's quoted as saying that he's 235 (as of last year) and looking to get up to 240. In the last preseason game he looked at least 230, almost certainly more, to me. Sounds like Reiss is guessing low.

“I’m to about 235,” Wright said. “I want to get up to the 240-pound range. I think that would be optimal for me with what I do as a player and what I bring to the team. If I got too big, I would be like every other tight end and lose some of my speed. If I’m too skinny I won’t be effective.”

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I read somewhere that out of 27 TE's with 50 targets he was 5th in completion %. That obviously wasn't with the best QB's throwing him the ball.

Last edited:
Mike Reiss follows up on this, predicting that [Wright] could be a "very significant" part of the Pats' offense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4767384/patriots-have-strong-option-in-te-wright]Patriots have strong option in TE Wright - espnBoston [/URL]

What a story that would be, eh? Fans started off obsessing about replacing Hernandez in the draft, then when it became clear that the draft cupboard was bare of joker TEs switched to obsessing about phantom options like Rob Housler and a younger version of Owen Daniels, then gradually shifted gears to "McDaniels doesn't use the joker position, it's all about a Gronk backup"...then here comes a joker TE who nobody considered at all.

What a story that would be, eh? Fans started off obsessing about replacing Hernandez in the draft, then when it became clear that the draft cupboard was bare of joker TEs switched to obsessing about phantom options like Rob Housler and a younger version of Owen Daniels, then gradally shifted gears to "McDaniels doesn't use the joker position, it's all about a Gronk backup"...then here comes a joker TE who nobody considered at all.

I'm always impressed with how deep the Pats go in terms of locating talent, and how much they churn the roster. BB keeps trying guys to see if they fit. As we've seen many times, intelligence and work ethic are as important as athletic ability, and pedigrees don't count for very much. I like Wright's chances and will be very interested to see what he does, but if not, I'm sure the FO will keep on trying until they find someone who works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back