PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McGinnest CUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a big mistake in my opinion. They had until the 15th before they paid his roster bonus. There was plenty of time to work out an extension.

This is why I HATE this time of year. You'll notice I'm not around as much...well, this is why. I wish we could just fast-forward through all this stuff. It makes me feel queasy.

Bella*chick said:
This is why I HATE this time of year. You'll notice I'm not around as much...well, this is why. I wish we could just fast-forward through all this stuff. It makes me feel queasy.

I agree, I've got a sick feeling too but I have hope that this is just manuvering to get him on a better contract! Willie has to finish here, it just wouldn't be right otherwise!!! :(

PatsChick87 said:
I agree, I've got a sick feeling too but I have hope that this is just manuvering to get him on a better contract! Willie has to finish here, it just wouldn't be right otherwise!!! :(
Yup. The possibility of losing Troy last year was a bummer. Seeing Ty Law in booger-green was a bummer. The probablity of losing Adam this year is a major bummer... but the thought of Big 55 finishing his distinguished career in anything other than a Patriots uniform... it just isn't right.

Like just about everybody, I'm just hoping this is a cut / re-sign situation. If not, In BB I trust as always, but it will royally piss me off for a good portion of the year.

My question, for which there is no answer here, is why didn't they just restructure rather than cut?

It makes me nervous that Wille is out there to be plucked up by Romey.:explative

PATSNUTme said:
My question, for which there is no answer here, is why didn't they just restructure rather than cut?

It makes me nervous that Wille is out there to be plucked up by Romey.:explative

I'm no salary cap expert nor do I play one on tv but is it possible that they save alot more money by cutting him outright then signing him to a new contract than they would if they just tried to restructure his current contract? I believe they did the same thing with Troy Brown.

PATSNUTme said:

I agree. Willie is one of the best in the business, and having him on the market it just as bad as having Vinaterri (srry for spelling) out on the market as well-because teams know that theyre good, proven players.

Ive said all along to restructure. Im sure as hell he would do it in an instant to keep playing for the champs

A mistake for whom? Perhaps McGinist wanted to test the free agent market. Are you saying he made a mistake? Or are you saying that the team made a mistake by not paying him $7M to play this year?

DaBruinz said:
This is a big mistake in my opinion. They had until the 15th before they paid his roster bonus. There was plenty of time to work out an extension.

mgteich said:
Perhaps McGinest wanted to test the free agent market.

Perhaps BOTH SIDES wanted to ascertain what his market price is.

The handshake agreement then probably is ... that the Pats match his best bonafide offer.

There is no certainty that a deal is not already done but unannouced.

I can accept that at least in some way cutting was better than resturcturing.
(It would have to be because one would be better short term the other long term, and we do not which was more critical factor to the Pats)

The Pats are notorious for not announcing signing quickly.

The timing could be that restructure may save more $$ now, but cost more down the road, so it hinged on the CBA. With more cap space available, the decision was to handle it with more of an eye to the future, while if there wasnt a CBa signed, having less cap room may have made restructure a better choice than cut.

I dont think it would matter to Willie, he will end up with the same $$, but the choices probably had very different plusses and minusses on the cap.

I think he is a lock to play here this year.

why is poole still here?

AndyJohnson said:
I dont think it would matter to Willie, he will end up with the same $$, but the choices probably had very different plusses and minusses on the cap.
I think he is a lock to play here this year.

I agree, and so does Willie, I think, if I remember that recent interview correctly. I may be wrong, but I think he said that a cut was inevitable do to his current contract structure. He then went on to basically say that as long as the Pats come back with something solid, there would be no way that he would leave the team.

huskeralk said:
I'm no salary cap expert nor do I play one on tv but is it possible that they save alot more money by cutting him outright then signing him to a new contract than they would if they just tried to restructure his current contract? I believe they did the same thing with Troy Brown.

That is not possible. That is not what happened with Troy Brown. The Patriots did not pick up Troy's option making him an UFA.

Right. And that's a major point to remember - Willie knew the cut was bound to happen because it was a 'dummy year' all along and has no hard feelings about the move. So McGinest isn't storming around his house calling BB the devil, Willie is chillin' because it's just a biz after all, right???? :D

pats60 said:
why is poole still here?
That is the one that really baffles me - which actually may show some method to BBs madness - or then again maybe not.

Miguel said:
That is not possible. That is not what happened with Troy Brown. The Patriots did not pick up Troy's option making him an UFA.

Well mark that down as the first time I was wrong about anything. :D

DaBruinz said:
It is likely a courtesy to Willie so that he can shop right at the beginning of the free agency period when the most opportunity is out there. There is also the possibility that they already tried to negotiate a new contract with Willie and they couldn't get agreement and this let's Willie know that they are willing to let him go on the open market rather than sign what his agent is asking for. That would also put a little pressure on Willie and his agent since if the Pats find a replacement for acceptable value then Willie's spot might be gone.

Miguel said:

Miguel, a question.
I can understand it wouldnt be possible to save more by cutting rather than restructuring because of the acceleration.

Could you see a scenario where it would be better though?

I'm thinking if this years cap cost is lower with a restructure, and higher with a cut, wouldn't that mean there is a lower number for the future years?
i.e. if cutting him accelerated 2mill of sb am, wouldn't resigning him mean 2mill less is committed to future years? (Assuming the new $$ are equal)

Basically what I am asking is whether than can be a cap advantage in cutting rather than restructing, even thought that advantage is in the future rather than the present?

If you dont mind, if you respond could you include what Willies remaining years and acclerated sb is. I cannot access your page from work its blocked by the internet filter for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back