PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden RB in college

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think too many people here fail to realize u need solid blocking for fast guys..they arent gonna punch through a wall(Maroney, McFadden, etc)

i think a RB that would satisfy you guys..not as exciting but Jonathan Stewart

5"11 230 pounds..hes built..huge legs..powerful. Comes from an Oregon team that spreads it out like we do in a way.

He'll run 4.4s but hes a load

i think he would fit either powerblocking or zone whatever we use. Seems like the fans around here like the power guys more than speed so if u want the tough yards and can still break a long 1..thats Stewart.

Last edited:
Hopefully we can sucker Jerry Jones into trading with us... doesn't he love McFadden (especially since JJ is an arkansas alumn?) ... i think Marion Barber + his 1st round pick would be sweet!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2950674

No way are the Patriots going to give a rookie RB a $40million contract. Its just not happenin'.

Exactly, and when you look at the value charts which are a good guideline for draft picks, you see all sorts of opportunities. Let's take for instance, the Cowboys. Assume they make the Superbowl and lose to the Patriots. They also have the Browns draft pick in the upcoming draft. Let's assume the Browns finish in the 8-8 range and get pick 16 in the draft. Going by the value charts, both of those picks are worth 1600 points. If the Patriots got the 2nd overall, that's worth 2600. Even giving the Cowboys a discount, we could get two first rounders back and additional picks this year and next. Given that Jerry Jones are infatuated with McFadden, wouldn't you rather have those two picks, plus additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders, paying less money overall than what the 2nd pick would get? There is no way the Pats pay any rookie that kind of money, especially when the opportunity to restock at multiple positions is there.

There is no doubt that McFadden runs too upright and shows a lot of chest, and we all know that is a sure fire recipe for injuries.

However he has incredible vision, cutting ability, power and feet. HE probably can't catch 50 balls a season, but he could easily become a 1,500 yard back that can also pick of blitzers on passing downs if in the righty system.

He is the real deal and I thought a better back than Peterson by far last year.

However the 2008 draft when all the juniors are counted could be very very deep at RB and we could easily pick up a Stewart of Oregon or a Davis of Clemson in the second or third round.

I actually like Jonathan Stewart at RB. He's got the kind of power back build/ability that would be good in combination with Maroney's running style. I'd take Marion Barber in trade from the Cowboys, but I don't think they are interested in trading him. Remember, the back they've shopped around in the past is Julius Jones.

Incidently, I'd take the Cowboys two first rounders and their second rounder in trade for the Patriots top 5 pick. Think about it, while you aren't getting full value where the value chart is concerned, the much smaller contracts you'll be getting in return make up for the value in cap savings. I'd rather spend less money signing two first, and a second, then signing McFadden or anyone else in the top 5 to a $50-56M contract with $24-30M guaranteed.

The guys I like the most for NE, right now:
Kenny Phillips
Rey Maualuga (if he decides to come out)
Jonathan Stewart
Antoine Cason
Jonathan Goff - I want to make sure he is over 240lbs though, as his weight seems to differ depending on the scouting report.
Rahard Mendenhall
Shawn Crable
Jasper Brinkley - if the NCAA doesn't allow him to return in 2008.

Guy's I've been looking at more lately as possible selections for the Patriots:

Jeremy Leman - He'd have to gain some weight (he's listed at 234lbs) to be effective at ILB in NE's system. If he could come into the combine at the same height (6'2", and perform well while in the 245-250lbs range than I'd be all for selecting him.

Quentin Groves (6'3" 249lbs) out of Aurburn as a conversion project at LB. I've seen his speed, and he seems to have decent range, but I'd like to see him go through some LB drills first. From what I undersrtand he's supposed to have 4.43-4.45 speed, and we all know NE has used a lot of college DE's at LB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I haven't watched Notre Dame play that much this year. Has Thomas Zbikowski play really dropped off? I watched him last year, and while I didn't think he deserved early round consideration, I did think he could be a 4th rounder. Does it seem he'll last into the 4th or even the 5th round?

Last edited:
The guys I like the most for NE, right now:
Kenny Phillips
Rey Maualuga (if he decides to come out)
Jonathan Stewart
Antoine Cason
Jonathan Goff - I want to make sure he is over 240lbs though, as his weight seems to differ depending on the scouting report.
Rahard Mendenhall
Shawn Crable
Jasper Brinkley - if the NCAA doesn't allow him to return in 2008.

The problem with trading with the Cowboys is that they don't have a 1st rounder above #20 so you can forget about picking most of the guys on your list, particularly Phillips, and Cason. I'm not so familiar with the othe rnames.

That's right. You DO realize that the scouts keep their film/notes on players right? Maroney caught their eye when they were scouting Barber (presumably in 2005). They ended up taking him the next year. I clearly remember hearing this around draft time. Maroney was certainly not an unknown quantity to the Patriots. And I would never say never when talking about BB and the draft. Well maybe never take a LB in the 1st... that's held true for a few years now. :D

Actually, scouts generally start looking at players two out, so yes I was well aware of the fact that scouts already know these players before their draft class. I just wasn't sure if you were confused or not, as another poster had thought Maroney and Marion were in the backfield together throughout their entire careers. Maroney was quite well known to those scouting college football, so I was little confused with your "discovered" him remarks, as I'm sure they knew about him before heading to Minnesota. I had Laurence as the Patriots first rounder prior to the 2006 draft as well.

Last edited:
Enough with the cowboys trading crap... they dont need a RB... they dont have the value to move up... just because they have 2 #1's, everyone thinks they will trade...

it is FAR more likely that a team needing a RB around 10 or so would trade us their 1, their 2, and next year's 1.

The problem with trading with the Cowboys is that they don't have a 1st rounder above #20 so you can forget about picking most of the guys on your list, particularly Phillips, and Cason. I'm not so familiar with the other names.

Some have Cason going top 15, and some have him going in the early 20's. Phillips would likely be a top 8-14 pick.
Maualuga would likely go anywhere from 14-22 overall.
Stewart could go late first/early second, Goff's projections are all over the place. I've seen him listed as the best ILB in the draft and going in the first, and I've seen him listed as a mid-second rounder elsewhere.

Rahard Mendenhall, Shawn Crable, and Jasper Brinkley would all be well within selection range.

So, I can't say most of the guys on my list will not be available if the Patriots were to trade with Dallas. That's not the only trade I'd think about either.

Enough with the cowboys trading crap... they dont need a RB... they dont have the value to move up... just because they have 2 #1's, everyone thinks they will trade...

it is FAR more likely that a team needing a RB around 10 or so would trade us their 1, their 2, and next year's 1.

Too bad Jerry Jones has admitted he's a big fan of McFadden, and everyone around that organization thinks the Cowboys are going to try and trade up for him. I live in Cowboy land, it's almost as big a story here as the Cowboys being 9-1. It gets talked about constantly. Maybe they don't do the trade, but the possibility is there.

I think McFadden will be a star. I'm also enfatuated with Jonathon Stewart. He has size AND speed. He's a baller for sure.

Is the word has or H-A-D ? Bunged up knee... after what, 10 games? RBs are expendable as was succinctly and unabashedly truthful saying by no other than the TUNA himself.

The Tuna's teams always were good running clubs but he wouldn't waste a high pick on any RB. He has picked RBs at the end of the first, in the second and in the third rounds. He has gotten good RBs there inlcuding a future HOF in Curtis Martin. Why would he waste a high pick on a RB?

Trade down, and stock the Lines, CBs and/or Linebacking, or more likely all three, with the payments from the single pick. Oh, and take a RB on the first day as well. Much better results.

Just to clarify, Parcells doesn't coach the Cowboys anymore. Not sure if you were aware of this or not.

Cason is the 3rd CB at best

Malcom and Mike Jenkins are better..i also like Jack Ikegwuonu

Cason is the 3rd CB at best

Malcom and Mike Jenkins are better..i also like Jack Ikegwuonu

Do you know about Mike Jenkins being suspended indefinitely by South Florida during the 2007 off-season? He was charged with two misdemeaner's. One for "Disorderly conduct" and the other for "Opposing or obstructing an officer without violence". I'd have to get the full story, but that's not a good thing, and it could hurt his draft stock.

I'm kind of surprised you mentioned Ikegwuonu, as I haven't heard a lot of fans talk about him. He's put up some impressive work against some good WR's, and his physical stats (6'1" 190lbs, 4.28-40) don't hurt his cause either.

Last edited:
Do you know about Mike Jenkins being suspended indefinitely by South Florida during the 2007 off-season? He was charged with two misdemeaner's. One for "Disorderly conduct" and the other for "Opposing or obstructing an officer without violence". I'd have to get the full story, but that's not a good thing, and it could hurt his draft stock.

I'm kind of surprised you mentioned Ikegwuonu, as I haven't heard a lot of fans talk about him. He's put up some impressive work against some good WR's, and his physical stats (6'1" 190lbs, 4.28-40) don't hurt his cause either.

i heard about the 4.28 for Jack but that was handtimed by coached. im guessing more like 4.38-4.41 but he doesnt get beat. hes got good size as well

i heard about the 4.28 for Jack but that was handtimed by coached. im guessing more like 4.38-4.41 but he doesnt get beat. hes got good size as well

He's my favorite CB in the draft. Hopefully we can trade out of the top of the round and pick him up in the back half of the first/top of second.

Crable scares me. Athletic as all hell, but the ultimate freelancer. Of course, if you look up "freelance" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Junior Seau in a Chargers helmet, so maybe it could be coached out of him.

I really like Vernon Ghoulston as a OLB conversion project.

He's my favorite CB in the draft. Hopefully we can trade out of the top of the round and pick him up in the back half of the first/top of second.

Crable scares me. Athletic as all hell, but the ultimate freelancer. Of course, if you look up "freelance" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Junior Seau in a Chargers helmet, so maybe it could be coached out of him.

I really like Vernon Ghoulston as a OLB conversion project.

What about Quentin Groves? He seems like a worthy project at LB. Good size for the position (6'3" 250lbs), great pass rusher, sheds well, good range, takes good angles, sound tackler in the open field, delivers the pop, intense, and has elite speed for the position (ran a 4.49 for NFL scouts last year).

Last edited:
Could some of you college football watchers compare him to someone in the NFL, please. How good is he? Is he as good as Peterson? I am not a college football watcher so I would appreciate your opinions.

Your thoughts?

He's a good back, but has questionable blocking skills and limited pass catching experience (read: no chance Pats draft him).

I can see us drafting McFadden if we can get a guy like Dansby if FA and Harrison doesn't retire. If we can't get an ILB, Rodney retires and we lose Samuel there's no way we're going RB in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back