McDaniels is staying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Guess that Josh will be around a while longer, this is a good development for the Pats.. remember all of the previous exodus after winning seasons.. still think he will someday be the heir apparent to BB..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3179838

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who in only his second season in the position presided over a unit that established new league records for touchdowns and points scored, has decided he will not interview for any head coach vacancies this year, ESPN.com has learned.

Both the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens this week sought permission from Patriots officials to meet with McDaniels about their respective openings. Under league rules, New England essentially had to honor the requests, since the interviews would have been for a head coaching position.

But McDaniels, who also serves as quarterbacks coach, did not have to agree to the interviews, and has decided in general not to pursue any head coach positions for the 2008 season.

"I am very grateful for the chance to interview for NFL head coaching positions, but I have decided not to pursue those opportunities at this time," McDaniels, 31, said in a statement Thursday. "I plan to focus all my attention on our postseason preparation."

Hopefully he learned something from Magini and also alot of the open jobs are no win situations (ATL)

Plus... he knows that he's not ready for a HC position. There's still a lot for him to learn about leading an organization. Look at how BB struggled as a rookie HC in Cleveland. He had a lot more seasoning than Mcdaniels does. It's not all about playcalling.

Also, he'd lose his spot in the history books, coaching Brady and Moss for a few more years.

Last edited:
bravo Josh

At least he learned something from Mangini, he wont disrupte the train this team is on.. even though this is a more talented team then 05, he knows not to rock the boat, Manjudias did not care...

I bet Belichick said to McDaniels "Here is a tape of me in Cleveland. Go home and watch it tonight. If you still want to interview, go ahead."

Smart kid, that McDaniels. He's been an OC for twice as long as Mangini was a DC.

The Tortoise beats the Hare.

Way to go Josh! Without a doubt he'll be a HC in the near future, he's just smart enough to realize that he's got a bit more to learn on that complicated position.

What a smart career move, in contrast with Mangini.
Stay a couple more years and build up your knowlege and experience observing the master.
By taking yourself off the market and making yourself a scarce commodity, you make yourself MORE desirable once you do enter the market.
And when you do go for a HC job, take one where you're sympatico with the GM and the owner wants football people running the franchise. The state of the team means the least in this equation.

What a smart career move, in contrast with Mangini.
Stay a couple more years and build up your knowlege and experience observing the master.
By taking yourself off the market and making yourself a scarce commodity, you make yourself MORE desirable once you do enter the market.
And when you do go for a HC job, take one where you're sympatico with the GM and the owner wants football people running the franchise. The state of the team means the least in this equation.

Agreed. Now when he goes looking for jobs they will say "he has been ready to be an HC for year(s) now! Lets snap him up!" I also think that the ability to pick your battles (your last point of being sympatico) is important.

Bellichick will be turning 56 in April. McDaniels' best bet is to stick around until the baton is passed. I mean, how many more years can we reasonably expect Bellichick to coach? Six? Eight? Anything more is just pushing it. And if it takes 8 years, Josh will still be under 40 and probably take over as the youngest head coach in the league.

Of course, he still has to make sure he earns that baton, but so far it's all looking good, and he's in the best position in the business to learn-- standing next to Bellichick while going over plays with Brady.

OC doesn't qualify you to master the HC position either. When he's ready, he's ready, but to leap before that is what they used to call meeting the Peter Principle.

Smart move. Who wants the Phins or Falcons or Ravens ? Basketcases all.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back