Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Have to interview 2 external minority candidates for head coach openings

One minority candidate for GM

Replacing Bill will take time
Even if they wanted to they cant just hire Vrabel immediately
—————-
In 2021, the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job. Additionally, at least one minority and/or female candidate must be interviewed for senior level positions (e.g., club president and senior executives)

Mayo and Flores and Louis Riddick are going to get lots of interviews
I wonder how these guys feel about this.
They must always wonder

Are they interviewing me bacuse they are genuinely interested or to comply with Rooney Rule or both?

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
They must always wonder

Are they interviewing me bacuse they are genuinely interested or to comply with Rooney Rule or both?
I imagine it’s the same as when a white person interviews for a job they may be getting special treatment for: you don’t think about it at all because the very thought is a lack of confidence in itself.

Have to interview 2 external minority candidates for head coach openings

One minority candidate for GM

Replacing Bill will take time
Even if they wanted to they cant just hire Vrabel immediately
—————-
In 2021, the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job. Additionally, at least one minority and/or female candidate must be interviewed for senior level positions (e.g., club president and senior executives)

The time factor might not be significant. Assuming Vrabel is getting the Patriots job he probably already knows it and is planning the transition.

I had a feeling about this back when he made his Patriots Hall of Fame speech and kept referring to the organization as "we" and "us," etc. Then he sat with Kraft in the owner's box during the game. We'll see if I'm right.

Doesn’t matter if there’s no vacancy.

Rooney Rule is a joke. Teams already have someone in mind they want to hire. It's like fake job postings that companies are doing these days to look like they are actively hiring from the open market, only for that job to either not even exist or they already hired someone else from within/friends and family. This happened to my friend, but in a positive way. He was hired for a big job, yet the company was still holding fake interviews for his position with obviously no intention of hiring them. Source? His friend that got him the job. Nepotism baby!

Last edited:

Flores complained about this, I think. I seem to remember him saying something along these lines. He knew when the interview wasn't serious.

Flores,Riddick,Vrabel. All 3 are excellent HC candidates. For whatever it's worth, all 3 have a connection with Belichick.
That's not a reason not to hire one of them as they all are definitely their own men.

Doesn’t matter if there’s no vacancy.
Vrabel and Kraft could already have an agreement to allow Kraft time to follow protocol before hiring Vrabel.

I believe that Vrabel knew that his head was on the chopping block back when Kraft invited him to Gillete this past season for a game. The optics of that visit looked suspicious and I cannot recall another another active NFL HC visiting another NFL owner during the season. Sure Vrabel was a former player, but the off season would have been more appropriate in this case IMO.

Vrabel and Kraft could already have an agreement to allow Kraft time to follow protocol before hiring Vrabel.

I believe that Vrabel knew that his head was on the chopping block back when Kraft invited him to Gillete this past season for a game. The optics of that visit looked suspicious and I cannot recall another another active NFL HC visiting another NFL owner during the season. Sure Vrabel was a former player, but the off season would have been more appropriate in this case IMO.

Vrabel's HOF induction visit was during Tennessee's bye week.

He was being inducted into their HOF

Flores complained about this, I think. I seem to remember him saying something along these lines. He knew when the interview wasn't serious.
Belichick incorrectly congratulated Flores on getting the job before he even interviewed, meaning Daboll got the job before Flores interviewed.

For some reason I got the feeling the other morning, when Belichick said he wants to keep coaching, that he wants to stay her, and would actually give up GM duties to stick around. I don’t think he wants to start over somewhere else. I think he would rather stay here for a couple more years, break Shula’s record, and retire at 75.

I am going through the interview motions for the lunch hotel and dinner draw your own conclusions some things are important. :)

Iirc it’s always during the season with a full stadium.
Never been done with the current HOF HC rumored to be leaving after 6 Super Bowls and another NFL HC invited by the owner who might be looking for work.

Belichick incorrectly congratulated Flores on getting the job before he even interviewed, meaning Daboll got the job before Flores interviewed.
This actually raises an interesting point in regards to Belichick’s future - Bill knew about Daboll because he has connections with other teams’ ownership - obviously there’s a clear Giants connection, but one must assume other connections also exist. He just ****ed up by texting the wrong Brian in his phone. One would have to think that these connections are in play as Bill is navigating his own future now.

They must always wonder

Even if its just to comply with the Rooney Rule it still benefits them

(1) Raises their profile. So a team that hasn't selected a candidate already and is interviewing people is more likely to want to interview them
(2) Gives them practice at interviewing for HC positions
(3) Gives them the chance to impress executives, who even if they are doing it for Rooney rule purposes, might then recommend them to a friend executive on another team.

Never been done with the current HOF HC rumored to be leaving after 6 Super Bowls and another NFL HC invited by the owner who might be looking for work.

Never been done on the 3rd Sunday of a month with two full moons, a partial eclipse and the Kahoutec comet passing by, and the Chiefs playing the Giants at a neutral site because Arrowhead has plumbing problems that must be addressed before Taylor Swift brings her tour to North America while a war is starting in the Congo over uranium rights and a lack of clean drinking water.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back