PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty did less than Kuechly and got called [PICTURE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
a clip of a no call from 2010???

that's a pretty good indication of a guilty conscience.

looks like the ignore function is going to get a workout tonight....open trolling by these "fans" is way out of hand here.

a clip of a no call from 2010???

that's a pretty good indication of a guilty conscience.

looks like the ignore function is going to get a workout tonight....open trolling by these "fans" is way out of hand here.

I don't think that clip of the Manning INT to Sanders to end the game is anything to be compared to last night's situation.

In the clip from Manning, you can see that the ball was insanely/clearly underthrown. It's really not even close. Poor example in my opinion--and I am one who is trying hard to view it with an open mind.

The problem with using that one as an example is that Sanders is already in the process of making a play on the ball before it is even a question of holding. Also there is the fact the player was never held and then pushed away from where the ball was thrown. Gronk was very close to the spot of where the ball was thrown but was pushed out of the way which allowed Lester to get passed Gronk and make a play on the ball.

Really just a poor example, the example I posted is almost exactly the same thing and the flag wasn't picked up.

How can you get NFL Network to show both of these plays (The Gronk endzone and McCourty holding) I would love to hear one of the shills for NFL officiating tell me the difference. Also how many times does a QB throw to a guy being mugged just to get the call. The ball is hardly ever catchable but it gets called regardless. Olsens left hand is clearly reaching under and grabbing McCourty's shoulder pad. That call was terrible and no one payed close enough attention to see what actually happened. The ball landed 5 yards behind the players and was lobed so it would have gone over both their heads (uncatchable) and led to a 43 yd field goal attempt to tie. Both calls are game changing therefore if you call 1 you call both.

The problem with using that one as an example is that Sanders is already in the process of making a play on the ball before it is even a question of holding. Also there is the fact the player was never held and then pushed away from where the ball was thrown. Gronk was very close to the spot of where the ball was thrown but was pushed out of the way which allowed Lester to get passed Gronk and make a play on the ball.

Really just a poor example, the example I posted is almost exactly the same thing and the flag wasn't picked up.

That play at the end of the 2010 Colts game is a lot more in line with the league's "simultaneous" explanation than what happened Monday night.

Here are 13 much better reasons why we were even in that position to begin with, and did not deserve to win the game:

1--We only stopped TWO Carolina drives the entire game. They scored on us at will with 3 TD's and 1 FG. The other two drives were punts, but when you only force a team to punt two times, you aren't going to have much of a chance to win

2--At one point Ian tweeted a stat that we had given up 8/11 third down conversions. I'm not sure how much it changed after that because I haven't looked at the final stats, but I'm not expecting much of a difference. Either way, giving up 8/11 third down attempts continues the horrid trend that we saw with Cincy, Miami, and the NYJ when we had some stretches in there that included giving up 6 or 7 straight third down conversions in two separate games. That is totally unacceptable on every level

3--We missed many key tackles, including a few on Newton that allowed them to have huge gains on key third down situations. On top of that, we also missed the tackle that allowed Ted Ginn to score the game winning TD

4--We failed to even produce ONE turnover for the first time in 35, 36, 37 games (I'm not sure where the streak was at) which had been the NFL's longest streak. As a whole we ended up -2 in the turnover battle. Check out the odds of winning a game at -2, they are downright awful

5--Ridley once again showed his tendency to not only fumble, but to fumble at the most inopportune time of the game. We had all of the momentum in the BUF game and were running away with it when Ridley fumbled in the red zone. In the PIT game, we were once again running away with the game and Ridley's fumble allowed them to make a furious comeback and tie the game, totally swinging the momentum. Tonight, yet again--he fumbled while we were driving down the field and in the red zone getting ready to score. It is just not Patriots football, and you cannot make huge mistakes like that

6--Talib was invisible, getting torched by an old Steve Smith. To make things worse, his 5 week layoff which cost us some games, seemed to do nothing for his hip injury, as we are once again back at square one as he is injured yet again. For a supposed "top cover corner" he tends to disappear at the most inopportune times imaginable, and yet again we are stuck with a lack of talent and depth at CB

7--Our offensive play calling in the game's most crucial situation with the score tied at 17 after a very nice comeback was horrid, as we had a golden opportunity to put pressure on the Panthers by going up 24-17 late in the game. Instead we decided to try a ridiculous pass play on a crucial 3rd and 1 when we NEEDED to score a TD to win the game. To make matters worse it was a stupid play design (a bunch formation with a pick, or even a bubble screen would have been a much better choice if they wanted to pass that badly). They had a ton of success running the ball the entire drive and then failed to take advantage of one lousy yard to score the TD

8--The offensive line was once again, very suspect. We allowed a couple/few important sacks, and a ton of pressure up the middle. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time, and may be one of our biggest problems

9--We had a couple/few very "non-Patriot like" unsportsmanlike penalty calls on Mankins and Talib, two of our best players and leaders. Both of these penalties either cost us points or allowed CAR to continue their scoring drive. There are many teams who we'd see this from, but NE is not one of them. That is not acceptable on any level either

10--There were 2 very bad snaps by Danny Aiken, both saved by Ryan Allen--although the second hold by Allen wasn't too hot. Mistakes like this cannot be made moving forward, especially when it's the only job these guys have to work on all week

11--We have now lost 2 of our last 3 games coming off the bye week. It's not my team and not my call, but I will admit that I wasn't crazy about the idea of 6 straight days off. That pretty much took up an entire week, so it was really like any other week in terms of game planning. I assume that Belichick made this decision due to the injury/health situation, but there was a time when we may have put better use to the opportunity to utilize important time to prepare for two very hard games in a row

12--Once again, we experienced very key injuries. It seems like glue is holding this team together, and one just has to wonder how far they can possibly get with injuries so severe and important. We are now down to only 5/11 starters from the week one defense

13--We got absolutely no pressure on Newton whatsoever, and this too has been a trend that is unacceptable. When you allow the QB all day to make his decisions, it isn't often going to be a good result

This nails it, perfectly describes my impression having watched the game in person. Panthers played a great game, they deserved the win, we cannot blame the refs. The Panthers just about perfectly executed their plan on offense. They were simply devouring us, methodically working their way down the field and chewing up clock when they needed to. It was really a brilliant plan and execution, and Newton was on fire.

That said, the refs should have done a better job. Separate issue, yes, but not a non-issue! Certainly worthy of discussion and analysis, but not an excuse or meant to take away from the Panthers' great play, and not meant to say the refs gave away the game. They did not. We did.

Correct call would have been a great way to end the game. One last play, from the 1 yard line, for the entire game. Crowd would have been going insane, that ending would have been amazing either way, win or lose. The ref blatant screw-up took that from us.

Their motto on final drives is "let the players play" despite how ****ed up that sounds. I trust nfl refs to keep this mentality when the patriots defense needs it on a final play.

There should be an SNL skit where they literally tie up Gronk in a chair, beat the he|l out of him mercilessly with baseball bats, cut his ear off (Reservoir Dog style), but the refs decide to "let them play it out" because it's the last play.

This whole scenario reminds of a flash flood I was in back in 1996 in Troy, NY. A day after 2 foot snowfall in the mountains, the temp rose to 65, and the Hudson became a lake. My car was capsized with hundreds of other cars, just pounded by 3 or 4 foot giant balls of ice moving at 20-30 mph.

When the insurance adjuster showed up to reimburse me for the totaled car, he deducted for any dents (multiple, big ones) and scratches.

"Wait, you know this car was hammered by giant balls of ice all night, right?"

He replies, "The car's engine is shot, the car is dead, but I gotta deduct for any dents."

The thing I laugh at is Baldino saying this is a question of timing. The refs are already on the record of saying the ball was uncatchable, not that it was simultaneous. He's lying. He's saying they used proper mechanics, but according to the refs, they didn't discuss timing, they discussed whether he could have caught the ball.

Does this Blandino guy even realized the referees made a public statement?

6--Talib was invisible, getting torched by an old Steve Smith. To make things worse.

What?

I think that one long pass is clouding everyone's mind about how Talib played.

When a CB is invisible it sometimes means teams are staying away from him. Other than the one deep pass. I think the longest pass he allowed was 16 yards.

And let's also be fair a little bit, he wasn't actually torched on that play he was there every step of the way. It was a good throw and catch.

Even the best CBs get beat once in awhile. Like TY Hilton abused Richard Sherman.

For a supposed "top cover corner" he tends to disappear at the most inopportune times imaginable

Really? I don't remember hearing this when he was basically shutting down everyone he went against before he got injured

and yet again we are stuck with a lack of talent and depth at CB

Name me some teams that if their #1 and #2 were injured have good talent and depth at CB

What?

I think that one long pass is clouding everyone's mind about how Talib played.
I agree 100%. I don't understand the hate for Talib on that play. The coverage was there, it was just a perfectly thrown ball to one of the NFL's top receivers. Not really much you could do.

Having said that, he definitely deserves criticism for losing his mind at inopportune moments of the game.

I think of under thrown balls as balls that won't reach the intended receiver or are just shy, Brady's ball was low with some velocity on it not under thrown imo. just my 2 cents...

I'm so sick of hearing the " We didn't deserve to win" rap. The Pats have won plenty of games in similar situations. That statement pees me off more the lameass refs. Stop ball washing the Panthers already. Geez.

I'm so sick of hearing the " We didn't deserve to win" rap. The Pats have won plenty of games in similar situations. That statement pees me off more the lameass refs. Stop ball washing the Panthers already. Geez.

The patriots didn't deserve to win. Had the patriots converted that 3rd and 1 and scored a touchdown instead of a field goal, maybe they would have won.

The patriots didn't deserve to win. Had the patriots converted that 3rd and 1 and scored a touchdown instead of a field goal, maybe they would have won.

I don't know man. We drove Down and were 1 missed penalty away from winning IMO. This would have been one of Brady's best comebacks and should of had 1 more at to see if it was.

"game ending"
It's under the same circumstance a hail mary is traditionally under.

There's a reason HM are not thrown every down.

I usually keep my mouth shut, criticizing poster, because anybody can carve me up knowledge wise. But, Coolguy, you are so off base on this. I really can't understand your rationale on this. Sorry.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. Unreal!!!

And as much as anyone says 1 play doesn't decide a game, I disagree. Every play matters in every game. 1 play can be the deciding factor.

Ya. You know what frustrates me about that thinking is that whole Olsen/McCourty thing is being downplayed. The call happened on 3rd and 7.

So 4th and 7 maybe the Panthers go for it and the Pats make a stop or maybe the Panthers kick the field goal and it's a tie game and Brady drives the Pats down the field and gets them in FG position.

Panthers got the benefit of two calls on the last two drives of the game. How the refs sit there and say that McCourty was holding when the ball was high and overthrown, not to mention the fact that Olsen was the one holding McCourty and then minutes later say the pass to Gronkowski was uncatchable when he was actually closer than the person who intercepted it before he got pushed away.

Pats didn't deserve to win? Such bull.

Teams that don't deserve to win don't drive the ball down the field into the red zone with 59 seconds and have a chance to win the game. Oh and btw Pats were more than likely robbed of having another play because the clock kept running for a few seconds after the Panthers scored.

So the NFL's story is that the holding and interception happened at the same time.

Well Mike Pereira said today that blakeman could have used instant replay because they are saying the ball was tipped.

Under NFL replay guidelines, officials can review whether a ball was touched or tipped before interference occurred, since contact is legal between any defender and a receiver once a pass is tipped

So what's the excuse of why the back judge got overruled by another ref, when they could have just decided to review it?

So the NFL's story is that the holding and interception happened at the same time.

Well Mike Pereira said today that blakeman could have used instant replay because they are saying the ball was tipped.

So what's the excuse of why the back judge got overruled by another ref, when they could have just decided to review it?
The comments of those attached to the NFL and its officials are cause for further embarrassment. Naturally, I don't expect reporters to pick up on them an expose the absolute stupidity of the NFL's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents