PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock has been awsome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky for me they were only showing the NFLN live coverage here in Denmark, and I thought it was excellent:)

Screw ESPN, I hate stupid station.

I agree. He has been very insightful.
By the way, what is this ESPN that you speak of? :bricks:

My wife turned the tv to ESPN the other day, making it the first time in I'd say half a year, that that channel has been on our TV. We immediately changed it to NFLN

Remember something ...

Mayock has the same first 4 letters as a player we just picked.....

Ironic eh? - Lets hope MAYO is as awesome as MAYOck!!

Mayock was phenomenal on Day One. The NFLN's coverage of the Draft was MUCH better than ESPN's. I don't even think I'll switch back and forth today.

Does this guy Mayock have a first name? I never heard of him before today, although I did watch a bit of the live broadcast on nfl.com. I assume that is the same programming that was on NFLN, which I do not get, and I was impressed.

Mike was a Boston College safety drafted by the Steelers late (10th) where he didn't stick. But he then played for two seasons for the Giants in the early 80's, right after their young DC Parcells got promoted to HC with a young LB/ST position coach on staff named Belichick. He's gotten some really good interviews with Bill for NFLN. Still calls them both coach when they talk.

He actually got his broadcasting start with ESPN back in their infancy, but quickly moved on covering the CFL and then college football for ABC and some of the other networks. NFLN smartly tapped him in 2005 to be their draft/college guy. He's not just a good college talent evaluator, he gets the pro game and what the transition demands, he gets the big picture on teambuilding and team needs and divisional matchups, and he grasps the value concept as more than BPA or even best talent available. And he seems to be building some solid contacts/access, which ESPN might want to note is no longer best achieved by alternately ass kissing and kicking ass, name dropping, scoop driven, arrogant mediots who never took a snap or made a decision their career rested on at this level.

There are two ways to cultivate access - fear and humility. Around here fear doesn't fly 'cause mediot spin doesn't scare the hoodie while among the Boston/national football media humility is in short supply. If a guy is genuinely interested in learning about the game and how and why this organization does what they do, Bill can be a wealth of knowledge and information. Choose to be confrontational and ignorant or use him or any access indiscriminately for short term gain at the teams expense and he won't waste his time on you any more (see Felger, Mike). He's not looking for toadies or ass kissers either, he can take criticism when it's rational and reasonable. Holley didn't exactlyembrace him when he arrived - took his lead from his peers at the Globe. But Holley was willing to admit he was mislead, and smart/humble enough to ask for a do over. Landed him a couple of book deals and long term access based on trust and discretion in the process.

When media don't/can't get along with Bill it says a lot more about them than him.

There are two ways to cultivate access - fear and humility. Around here fear doesn't fly 'cause mediot spin doesn't scare the hoodie while among the Boston/national football media humility is in short supply. If a guy is genuinely interested in learning about the game and how and why this organization does what they do, Bill can be a wealth of knowledge and information. Choose to be confrontational and ignorant or use him or any access indiscriminately for short term gain at the teams expense and he won't waste his time on you any more (see Felger, Mike). He's not looking for toadies or ass kissers either, he can take criticism when it's rational and reasonable. Holley didn't exactlyembrace him when he arrived - took his lead from his peers at the Globe. But Holley was willing to admit he was mislead, and smart/humble enough to ask for a do over. Landed him a couple of book deals and long term access based on trust and discretion in the process.

When media don't/can't get along with Bill it says a lot more about them than him.

You can tone it down a little bit dude, I don't think there are any openings currently in the Pats' PR department.

Yesterday I was watching the NFLN on my computer, with espn on behind me on TV. Time after time, Mayock, Schefter and the NFLN were nailing picks and trades while Berman, Kiper and espn were completely lost in the wrong direction. For example when the Jets traded for the #30 pick, NFLN not only knew the trade would be made, but they also knew exactly who the Jets were going to pick with over 2:30 still left on the clock. ESPN never once mentioned Dustin Keller and were talking about other positions; they thought the Jets were going to take a QB. The trade and the selection caught them completely off guard. Similar situations happened about a dozen times yesterday. I left espn on only because it became so hilarious to hear them get call after call totally wrong while NFLN was right on top of every pick and even talking about trades before they're announced.

The NFLN's coverage is so much better than ESPN's that it isn't funny. Berman's act has gotten really old, and they end up talking and trying too hard to be entertaining while picks are being made. Chris Carter is an idiot as well.

Mayock and Shefter are the best. They know what they are talking about, and they're not trying to be over the top-just good football analysts.

Yep. Mayock is phenominal... I didn't even bother going to ESPN for draft coverage. Mayock is a man among boys when it comes to the draft.

He's a pretty damn good college color guy in the booth too.

Mike was a Boston College safety drafted by the Steelers late (10th) where he didn't stick. But he then played for two seasons for the Giants in the early 80's, right after their young DC Parcells got promoted to HC with a young LB/ST position coach on staff named Belichick. He's gotten some really good interviews with Bill for NFLN. Still calls them both coach when they talk.

He actually got his broadcasting start with ESPN back in their infancy, but quickly moved on covering the CFL and then college football for ABC and some of the other networks. NFLN smartly tapped him in 2005 to be their draft/college guy. He's not just a good college talent evaluator, he gets the pro game and what the transition demands, he gets the big picture on teambuilding and team needs and divisional matchups, and he grasps the value concept as more than BPA or even best talent available. And he seems to be building some solid contacts/access, which ESPN might want to note is no longer best achieved by alternately ass kissing and kicking ass, name dropping, scoop driven, arrogant mediots who never took a snap or made a decision their career rested on at this level.

Thanks for the background. I'll make sure to catch him whenever I can (considering no NFLN). Also thanks to Koettbulle for posting the photo link.

You can tone it down a little bit dude, I don't think there are any openings currently in the Pats' PR department.

Mo is a longtime respected commentator on this board. not given to hyperbole. He ain't lookin'for a gig. Learn your way around before popping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes