PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe the Patriots plan to keep Garoppolo long term

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is the fake news time of year, but rumors involving a Garoppolo trade all seem to point to the Patriots wanting more than any team is willing to give. If Cleveland's #12 pick is not enough, then Belichick probably sees Garoppolo as a legitimate successor to Brady. If this is true, then he is the #1 non-Brady asset on the team, and is worth a draft pick high enough to net a guaranteed successor. Belichick is not going to move Garoppolo for 50 cents on the dollar, and he is not going to let him walk for free.

I am suggesting that the Patriots plan to keep Jimmy Garoppolo beyond 2018.

Brady says he wants to play until he's 45. The likelihood that he actually does is low, and Belichick knows this. The last thing Belichick is going to do is let Garoppolo walk in 2018 only to see Brady decline sharply the same season. The succession is most likely 2 - 3 years away.

Consider that the Patriots have the rights to keep and sit Garoppolo at $1.1 million this year, and that he would potentially sign for something in the 5ys/$18 million range in free agency. In this scenario Garoppolo would earn $37 million over the three years. The Patriots could be reserving some of their existing cap space to try to sign Garoppolo to a shorter, front loaded extension that pays him similarly. Something in the 3yr/$37 million range with more bonus money applied to the 2017 cap.

Should this fail, I think the team plans to franchise him in 2018.

I think Garoppolo is the reason why the Patriots have been so passive with their free agents so far. I also anticipate that, if the team does not think they can extend him by 2018, they will focus on one year deals or easy opt out deals so that they have the cap space available in 2018.

It must be a joke the offers they have gotten. Draft these lousy QBs. They must think we will get him after next year's season.

Yah franchise JAG. What the hell. Just because quality depth at most positions has netted us 5 Rings and several near misses, let's abandon this flawed approach and instead tie up an ungodly amount of cap money in the QB position necessitating the cutting of quality starters across the board and backups or losing them to FA.
WTF is with people?

The Patriots can plan whatever they want, but I think it's absurd to assume that Garoppolo wants to sit on the bench for three more years.

This is the fake news time of year, but rumors involving a Garoppolo trade all seem to point to the Patriots wanting more than any team is willing to give. If Cleveland's #12 pick is not enough, then Belichick probably sees Garoppolo as a legitimate successor to Brady. If this is true, then he is the #1 non-Brady asset on the team, and is worth a draft pick high enough to net a guaranteed successor. Belichick is not going to move Garoppolo for 50 cents on the dollar, and he is not going to let him walk for free.

Agree

I am suggesting that the Patriots plan to keep Jimmy Garoppolo beyond 2018.

Brady says he wants to play until he's 45. The likelihood that he actually does is low, and Belichick knows this. The last thing Belichick is going to do is let Garoppolo walk in 2018 only to see Brady decline sharply the same season. The succession is most likely 2 - 3 years away.

Until he receives a king's ransom for Jimmy, that is his current plan for 2017- right now which is all subject to change. If for some reason he sees Tom experience decline in his 2017 play, I could easily envision the NEP and Tom parting ways. Thankfully, that has not happened yet. That is what makes this situation so challenging to decipher exactly what BB is thinking.

Consider that the Patriots have the rights to keep and sit Garoppolo at $1.1 million this year, and that he would potentially sign for something in the 5ys/$18 million range in free agency. In this scenario Garoppolo would earn $37 million over the three years. The Patriots could be reserving some of their existing cap space to try to sign Garoppolo to a shorter, front loaded extension that pays him similarly. Something in the 3yr/$37 million range with more bonus money applied to the 2017 cap.

Should this fail, I think the team plans to franchise him in 2018.

Osweiler received $37m guaranteed in his first two years of his deal w/ HOU. Why would Jimmy take less?

Franchising Jimmy at ~$28m in 2018 when GoAT is still elite? That would mean trading TB12...which is always possible but highly unlikely. As you may know the team and TB12 are working on a contract extension. Who knows how that will go but with history as our guide, they will figure out something that works for both sides.

I think Garoppolo is the reason why the Patriots have been so passive with their free agents so far. I also anticipate that, if the team does not think they can extend him by 2018, they will focus on one year deals or easy opt out deals so that they have the cap space available in 2018.

I think they are pacing themselves like they always do and let things play out. However, they intend on being proactive and fill needs via FA before being in a desperate situation in the draft.

The NEP are engaging with their big ticket players & FAs the way they always have. 1) Get a sense for what $ they want. 2) See if they can strike a team friendly-win/win deal 3) If the sides are far apart, keep the dialogue open and let the market dictate the price. The did that with DMC and are doing it with High. They are not going to outbid themselves or piss of their player and franchise them.

I think you have some good thoughts here but I just don't agree with you. They are not going to allocate ~$15m in cap space to a player who will ride the bench when they A) Aren't going to play him in 2017 and B) TB12 has shown no sides of regressing and C) Need to play High, Malcolm and meet the 89% rule (4 years of cap = 89% spend).

Tell me the last average to mediocre QB to win a title?
QB is the most important position in all of sports.

So no I dont think he will agree to a long term deal sitting on tbe bench,.

What COULD happen is we want another year of control of him to see Tom and him compete.
Dont think for a second IF Tom slows down or his football mind stutters or his family and retirement whispers become a problem that Bill wouldnt go with the best chance to win.

A) None of us has any clue what has been offered.

2) There is still a month and a half or so until the draft.

And D) There is no reason for us to panic and take an offer we don't feel is worthy, especially this long before Draft Day.

Just my opinions of course.

What COULD happen is we want another year of control of him to see Tom and him compete.
Dont think for a second IF Tom slows down or his football mind stutters or his family and retirement whispers become a problem that Bill wouldnt go with the best chance to win.

Peyton Manning. :)

Under this scenario....why would JG prefer to sign a contract not to play when he could make similar dollars playing elsewhere?

Do we really expect Frugal Bill to redefine "value" with an $18 mill/year insurance policy that interferes with his ability to build quality depth?

Imagine the locker room environment ...with players fighting for their next contracts while Jimmy "no play" collects $37 mill for holding a clipboard. Does Bill no longer value a harmonious locker room?

Will Belichick allow this QB narrative to linger over the team for years?

Don't forget Joe Flacco.

And I don't think it's necessarily if Tom slows down or not. It's a matter of how far and how much money.

Brady at 80% but for $10M a season is still a good situation, and maybe even preferable to Jimmy G in his prime at $23M a season. Tom was far from a super star in 2001, but they built winning game plans around him and he executed.

I don't think the second Tom loses a bit, he's gone. It will depend on a lot of factors, including how much money he costs and what the alternatives may be.

The Shell of Peyton Manning playing in SB 50.

True, but Manning didn't throw a TD pass throughout the playoffs, their defense won that Lombardi, Manning got a free ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back