PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Dungy is the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Here is a link to a thread at the IndyStar where Colts fans are giving serious consideration to the idea that there are real problems with Peyton Manning as their QB.

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135175

I am posting this not to pile on, but to suggest there is a bigger problem that is only touched on briefly in this thread.....Tony Dungy is the real problem in Indianapolis in the same way that Pete Carroll was the problem before the franchise was rescued by Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick.

Peyton Manning is hard headed and a control freak...that is probably not going to change anytime soon, but like a wilfull and unruly child, he need to be put in his place and shown who is boss by his "parents".

When Peyton overruled Dungy in front of the entire viewing population it was apparent to all that Manning, not Dungy is running the show there.

Manning loses for the same reason that Mike Martz lost to BB...he wants to win HIS way...and he won't take the blame when it blows up in his face.

When Dungy left the team to attend to affairs with his son's death, one of the Colt players was asked how different practices were without Dungy there, his reply was that nobody really noticed Dungy wasn't there. I was amazed at the time that it didn't get more play. The media was generally suggesting that this just showed how together the team was and that Dungy's absence wouldn't derail the Colts' march to the Superbowl

I can't imagine any Patriot's players saying they didn't even notice BB wasn't around. That was a strong indicator to me of the problems that were to come.

Would ANY of the coaches currently still playing tolerate being shown up like Dungy was?

Cowher, Shanahan, Fox, or Holmgen would have not tolerated it for a second...and neither would most NFL HCs. Brady isn't the type to do such a thing, but if he had that inclination I don't think he would dare do it with BB, because the result would not be pretty.

Peyton Manning CAN win a Superbowl, but he won't do it until he plays under a strong coach who won't take his crap.

He won't do it (even if he is still the Colts HC next year), but I think the best thing Dungy could do next year would be to bench Peyton as soon as it happens again and make sure Peyton and everyone else knows,

"You're on the bench until you do it MY way, and if you cost us games or the season, then so be it"!

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
He won't do it (even if he is still the Colts HC next year), but I think the best thing Dungy could do next year would be to bench Peyton as soon as it happens again and make sure Peyton and everyone else knows,

"You're on the bench until you do it MY way, and if you cost us games or the season, then so be it"!

If that happened, we'd see Archie Manning on every damned sports show imaginable talking about how his poor baby son is being abused...

The Gr8est said:

Like you said, he won't bench Manning ever, which would be about as likely as Francona benching Manny for loafing down the line on a DP ball.

Na_polian said:
If that happened, we'd see Archie Manning on every damned sports show imaginable talking about how his poor baby son is being abused...
:) He'd publically demand Peymetons be traded to another team, then later come out and claim that someone deep inside the Dolts organization told him, "Don't let your son stay here".

I think Dungy is absolutely the problem. Manning isn't far behind, but it's no coincidence that Dungy couldn't take a talented TB team to the Super Bowl and then Gruden came in and won a title the next season. Now he's doing the same thing in Indianapolis. Bring in a good HC and the Colts would have a super bowl within two seasons. IMO, he should be fired this offseason but because of his son killing himslef, he'll get another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft