PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia has officially been named DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else concerned (at least a tad) about the addition of the young Belichick? Nepotism can be poisonous to a healthy meritocracy.
Hopefully the Belichick clan will fare better than the Shanahan clan.;)

Steven Belichick has also officially been added to the coaching staff as an assistant.

This is the more meaningful news to me. We already know Patricia was the de facto DC

There's a chance that Belichick may wish to coach as long as it takes his son to develop into a coordinator and/or head coaching material.

I know I'm getting far ahead of myself, but how cool would it be to see Belichick stay here another 8 more years or so and then hand off the rains to Defensive Coordinator Belichick?

It's not the largest stretch of the imagination.

Brilliant. Now I have a discernable target to knife in the back if the Patriots D isn't up to scratch in 2012.

In all seriousness, congrats to Patricia. Should be interesting to see what he can come up with.

Brilliant. Now I have a discernable target to knife in the back if the Patriots D isn't up to scratch in 2012.

Remember how much fun it was to hate Dean Pees and the BBDB defense in 2009?

I read the thread title and think to myself "Patchick has been named DC"?:eek:

Congrats, Patricia, now get that frickin' pencil outta your ear!!!!!

You look my bookie.

I thought Stephan Belichick was supposed to be our next long snapper

There's a chance that Belichick may wish to coach as long as it takes his son to develop into a coordinator and/or head coaching material.

This is what I was thinking. Bill has to stick around long enough for Steve to make a name for himself, because otherwise he's not going to last very long.

I posted last week that the player additions were complete; but there were still unfulfilled coaching vacancies, including DC.

Now those positions have been added, and defined.

We are now ready for the season, already in early May.

Yup! The Pats are locked and loaded! Ready to roll with a very promising roster, and all coordinator positions filled. BB is taking no prisoners in 2012! Let's win another ring!!

Not sure I really get the excitement over the addition of a title to someones name, he was already the DC, was he not?

...I also don't see anything remotely close to pointing that Bill's son will be our next HC, that's about 10-20 years premature, if he lasts more than a season as a coach.

edit: I also personally think it's a bad idea to bring him on as Patriots' staff, Bill has now hired his own son, but can he fire him if he isn't good enough as a coach (For the record, I hope he's as smart as his father and this scenario never has to come into play)?

Last edited:
I thought that way back. Then came Pees. Then came nobody. Then Patricia seemed to emerge. You'd think after his tenure in New England, he'd be DC material. But maybe Pepper needs a little more seasoning.

Pun intended? :D

I would assume Steve Belichick is the one we tend to always see near Coach Belichick on TV, right? Or is this a different son?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing that young Mr Belichick will be the gofer and start at the very bottom like his Dad did. If he likes watching film as much as his dad he will do well.

If he gets anything, I am sure it will be earned.

I would really like to see Pepper as the DC someday, however I am really glad to see him in charge of the younguns like C Jones, Hightower, Cunningham, Fletcher and Spikes.

I thought that way back. Then came Pees. Then came nobody. Then Patricia seemed to emerge. You'd think after his tenure in New England, he'd be DC material. But maybe Pepper needs a little more seasoning.

Pepper is now in his 12th year as a positional coach with the Patriots. It's clear that he's valued, but he seems to be on the Dante path as a lifer coaching the positions he knows best. For all we know, that's just the way he likes it.

I would assume Steve Belichick is the one we tend to always see near Coach Belichick on TV, right? Or is this a different son?
That's Brian, the younger son.

This is the older one with the longer, bushier hair (although Brian's has been getting longer too) who got busted for pot a couple of years ago.

I don't think you'll see much of Steve Bellichick the next few years. A coach's assistant in entry level. He'll be breaking down film. He'll be getting coffee. He'll be the guy in TC telling guys the coach wants to see him....and bring your playbook, The only contact he'll likely have with the players is holding up play cards for the scout team.....maybe.

He's going to have to earn his credibility. His name got him his job, but in the end he'll have to work twice as hard as the next guy if he's going to earn that credibility.

Shh...it's been unofficial until now.

Now that I know, I have a few bones to pick with you about the performance of the secondary last year. :deadhorse:

Pepper is now in his 12th year as a positional coach with the Patriots. It's clear that he's valued, but he seems to be on the Dante path as a lifer coaching the positions he knows best. For all we know, that's just the way he likes it.

If Pepper doesn't go the DC route somewhere else, I could easily see him getting the Assistant Head Coach title whenever Scar retires (shudder).

Glad Coach feels good enough about the defense to officially give the DC title to Patricia. I am not worried about Steve B. being named a coaching assistant. That's how Coach started almost 40 years ago. Belichick never does anything but what he feels is best for his team. Kid has been learning from his old man for his lifetime to date. I don't think there is a better football teacher alive. Steve is gonna be working his ass off, and for not very much money right now; his father will reward him as he grows with the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News