PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Massarotti says Belichick has gambled on the 2009 season and his future legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Seymour trade but he was the only player that stepped his game up last year. Anyways, the quote above pretty much sums up the last 4 years for the Patriots. In fact, it's a sad reality most Pats fans can't sink into their brain. Sorry guys, but nobody fears BB anymore and he can't get into any QB's head. I find it hilarious when he is called a "mastermind" on defense. Zero super bowls since '04, keep drinking the kool-aid fellow Pats fans.

Yeah. He only got them to 17-0 in '07 and then he stupidly got Brady injured in the first game in '08. Fire the bum.

This trade reminds me of the old 49er's, who always cut or traded great players when they still had something left (Lonnie Lott). The difference with Seymour is that the Pats get possibly a top ten pick, maybe the first or second defensive player taken. The 49'ers run encompassed many years. Massarotti just gambled against Belichick's legacy. Fool.

We trade an all-pro, one of the best players at his position, for a draft pick two years from now. How can this help us in 2009? How can this NOT be a 2009 gamble.

The only way that the Seymour trade could help the 2009 is if the money is used to sign someone.

My preference would be to lock down a player for 2010, perhaps Gostkowski.

But I don't think that we can spin this as a help to the 2009 team.

Excellent points, glad to see not everyone has had a glass of the Kool Aid.

You are gambling away the 2009 season with this trade.

To spin it any other way is whistling past the graveyard.

Not to mention the way the NFL has worked recently where horrible teams turn things around in a hurry (0-16 Doofins become 11-5 division champs, the Cardinals go to the Super Bowl, the Titans end up 14-2, the pitiful Ravens of 2007 go to the AFCCG a year later,etc, etc), who's to say the 2011 Raiders don't go 14-2?

AND, if Seymour does not sign with the Raiders after the 2010 season, what happens if he ends up with the Colts? Or the Steelers? Or the Dolphins.

And this in BB we trust mantra is getting old too, five years removed from a Super Bowl win.

This is looking more and more like Seymour asked for an extension, was told no, things gotheated and the outcome was "Oh yeah, well pack your bags, we traded you. To the effin Raiders, aka, Hell on Earth, how do you like them apples?"

typical of him. also material for his radio show with felger. i never understood the media always looking for ways to get rid of coaches in boston. you have tanguay with fire francona andBB is always there...

Can anybody sticky this thread so we can e-mail it to "Maz" in Februrary? :D

AND, if Seymour does not sign with the Raiders after the 2010 season, what happens if he ends up with the Colts? Or the Steelers? Or the Dolphins.

And this in BB we trust mantra is getting old too, five years removed from a Super Bowl win.

Whose to say the Seymour wouldn't have ended up there after this season anyway? Let's see what else happens i.e resign Wilfork etc...

Excellent points, glad to see not everyone has had a glass of the Kool Aid.

You are gambling away the 2009 season with this trade.

To spin it any other way is whistling past the graveyard.

Not to mention the way the NFL has worked recently where horrible teams turn things around in a hurry (0-16 Doofins become 11-5 division champs, the Cardinals go to the Super Bowl, the Titans end up 14-2, the pitiful Ravens of 2007 go to the AFCCG a year later,etc, etc), who's to say the 2011 Raiders don't go 14-2?

This is looking more and more like Seymour asked for an extension, was told no, things gotheated and the outcome was "Oh yeah, well pack your bags, we traded you. To the effin Raiders, aka, Hell on Earth, how do you like them apples?"

agree. if we dont win this yr..lets fire BB . Get buddy ryan out of retirement or mike tice or anyone else but BB so we can sure win sb before 5 yrs.....:rolleyes:

WTF messo-rotten knows about football ? he can go s****w himself for all we care :banned:

i read the article, reluctantly, all the way to the end, where the author pays lip service to the Lawyer Milloy deal. like the Milloy deal, this is the kind of call that great coaches/gm's have to make; in doing so, they have to take the crap from wannabes like Massarotti who have the freedom to sit back, pontificate and say "maybe this," "maybe that."

In the world of the NFL, "those who can, coach, those who can't, deliver cheap hits in articles or on the air". let's not forget TJ's immortal words about BB having a locker room full of people who hated him.

Bottom line: 25 years from now, when the history of this era of the NFL is written, people will be talking/arguing about Bill Belichick; they won't have the foggiest, effing clue who Massarotti was..........

Last edited:
agree. if we dont win this yr..lets fire BB . Get buddy ryan out of retirement or mike tice or anyone else but BB so we can sure win sb before 5 yrs.....:rolleyes:

better yet, let's hire Wrecks away from the Jests or whomever that idiot is who's coaching the Bungles...god, i'm sick of this crap....

well said SVN!

BB now, BB yesterday, BB tomorrow!

Last edited:
I don't in any way shape or form want to talk bad about Richard Seymour. He's been a great Patriot. However, do all these pundits forget that the Pats had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year? Did anyone think Belichick was going to clean house?

Do they forget that Seymour was benched healthy in several games last year? I don't think that Seymour, or very many other players on that defense, were getting All-Pro grades.

We trade an all-pro, one of the best players at his position, for a draft pick two years from now. How can this help us in 2009? How can this NOT be a 2009 gamble.

The only way that the Seymour trade could help the 2009 is if the money is used to sign someone.

My preference would be to lock down a player for 2010, perhaps Gostkowski.

But I don't think that we can spin this as a help to the 2009 team.

Yup- Maz is captain obvious. Knowing that we weren't going to re-sign Seymour, it's self-evident that this helps in the long term, and hurts us in 2009. That's not even debatable. The question is: is the tradeoff worth it? I think it's way too early to say yes or no definitively, but the more I think about it, the more worried I am..

When we use the draft pick that we got, Brady will be 34, and Moss will be closing in on 35. Now, if anyone can pull some ballsy move that will extend the dynasty, it's Belichick, but the window on 'this' dynasty is slowly closing. Rather than make sure that he gets the most out of this one, Belichick seems to be doubling down and betting that he can make this simply 'phase one' of a dynasty that will span multiple generations of players. Once again, if anyone can pull it off it's Belichick, but damn...

Last edited:
You forgot the smilee. The patriots defense was #10 in the NFL in 2008.

I don't in any way shape or form want to talk bad about Richard Seymour. He's been a great Patriot. However, do all these pundits forget that the Pats had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year? Did anyone think Belichick was going to clean house?

Do they forget that Seymour was benched healthy in several games last year? I don't think that Seymour, or very many other players on that defense, were getting All-Pro grades.

So when your defense has a bad year (relative to the gold standard that you've come to expect, anyways) the natural response is to get rid of your best defensive player? I agree that there were a lot of specific things that we were bad at. We didn't get many sacks (so we traded our best pass-rusher), and our third down conversion percentage wasn't very good, largely because our line was about league-average in run defense per-play (so we traded the guy that it was pretty much impossible to run at).

Maybe Brace steps in and performs near Seymour-level. Maybe the full switch to a base 4-3 makes the defense better, even with Seymour's absence. I'm keeping an open mind on this one, and, if nothing else, my curiosity is definitely piqued.

BTW, Seymour wasn't benched healthy. He missed the 16th game, because he had a mild back injury and the Pats wanted to make sure he didn't aggravate it in case they made the playoffs.

Last edited:
You forgot the smilee. The patriots defense was #10 in the NFL in 2008.

thanks. i was gonna hammer the post but decided to water the plants instead...jeez...i mean...do they actually watch the games?...but it's a free country...

Last edited:
Let's be honest, if this trade doesn't pan out the way we all hope and think it will, will it really erase three Superbowl victories in 4 years? Hyperbole sells papers (what few of them are left in existence) and keeps contrarian, semi-competent sports writers employed.

It will be interesting to hear what maz and felget has to say . All preseadon felger had been saying seymour has been living off his legacyand is not the same player. Felget should be loving the trade. Borges too since seymour is the bum we drafted who had 5 sacks in college and we passed up david terrell.

pats defense is so bad that they even suck in madden .. don't give me this crap that last year it was a top 10 d .. you kidding me? misleading .. also, i can't believe some of the comments some of you spoiled fans are spewing .. "he hasn't won a bowl since 04" wtf .. i would take that any day, and twice on sunday .. try cheering for the early 90s teams, and comeback to me ..

i read the article, reluctantly, all the way to the end, where the author pays lip service to the Lawyer Milloy deal. like the Milloy deal, this is the kind of call that great coaches/gm's have to make; in doing so, they have to take the crap from wannabes like Massarotti who have the freedom to sit back, pontificate and say "maybe this," "maybe that."

In the world of the NFL, "those who can, coach, those who can't, deliver cheap hits in articles or on the air". let's not forget TJ's immortal words about BB having a locker room full of people who hated him.

Bottom line: 25 years from now, when the history of this era of the NFL is written, people will be talking/arguing about Bill Belichick; they won't have the foggiest, effing clue who Massarotti was..........

Best post in the thread. Only thing I'd add is message board fans to the list of those wannabes who can't do anything but pontificate...

...although keeping BJGE may be ;)

Does this move make the defense weaker short term? Yup. Is the loss significant? That remains to be seen. However, lets not delude ourselves. If this Patriost team makes the post-season, it will be on the offenses back, not the defense. Lets just hope the d-line gets enough pressure on the opponent (harder with Big Sey gone), that the starting lbs stay healthy and that the secondary gels to the point of adequate this year. If the team fails this year it sure as heck won't be just because of Seymours absence. That's ridiculous. Last I checked Seymour has been with the Pats the last four years - zero SB victories.

It's scary but for once you and :agree: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back