PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Massarotti says Belichick has gambled on the 2009 season and his future legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose to say the Seymour wouldn't have ended up there after this season anyway? Let's see what else happens i.e resign Wilfork etc...

ya maybe they'll resign him when his current deal is up..lol

The 2001-2004 HOF coaching achievement is not at issue. If this all doesn't work, people will talk about the 2001-2004 patriots for many decades. What we have been hopeing for is that the dynasty didn't end at the 2005 Super Bowl. I would much rather that folks 25 years from now be talking about the 2001-2015 dynasty.

Let's be honest, if this trade doesn't pan out the way we all hope and think it will, will it really erase three Superbowl victories in 4 years? Hyperbole sells papers (what few of them are left in existence) and keeps contrarian, semi-competent sports writers employed.

I guess we'll probably hear Tom Jackson's 'Right now they hate their coach' speech tomorrow.

Seymour is gone, yes he was / is a great one. Don't know how he would have performed in this years "D". I do know that we will still be putting 11 guys out there, not 10 as some some to feel now that he is gone.

The question becomes how well will the line play without RS. Whether we play 4-3 or 3-4, how much of a falloff with there be with his replacement? I think we still have a top quality D line, from the top two right down to the two rookies Brace & Pryor.

By the way, if we do sign Wilfork to a new, somewhat reasonable deal, then, other than Green, this "D" line will be together for the next 4 years all signed sealed and affordable. Also will be a terrific blend of rookies and vets in their prime.

I like to think BB knows what he is doing and given the talent on this line along with two # 1's in 2011, it all looks pretty darn good to me.

agree. if we dont win this yr..lets fire BB . Get buddy ryan out of retirement or mike tice or anyone else but BB so we can sure win sb before 5 yrs.....:rolleyes:

Glad you are happy with the second half meltdown in the 2006 AFCCG and the blown perfect season in 2007.

Mr Kraft thanks you for being so understanding and willing to accept losing.

Good job.

It's all part of the revisionism that takes place when a player leaves. By Tuesday, Seymour will have been a locker room cancer who threatened to kick Belichick's ass and who never was any good on the field.

People can't just accept that BB made a move that might not have been the greatest in NFL history.
No one said it was the greatest, only that it was a good trade. And haven't you and the mg-guy been complaining that the run D sucks and there is no pass rush? If the DLine was so bad why now is it critical to keep all the players?

It is also wrong to think that every trade should pay dividends this year. That is a short term view that causes troubles with coaches on the hot seat. They sacrifice a better long-term opportunity for immediate help.

Did trading our first round pick in 2007 to SF for their fourth round pick and a 2008 pick help out in 2007? No, but drafting Mayo with that pick in 2008 will pay dividends for years.

It is bad analysis to judge trades by what they can do the first year. Otherwise you have to say the everyone who trades next year's pick for this year is a winner, and everyone who trades this year's pick for next year is a loser in the trade....

I guess we'll probably hear Tom Jackson's 'Right now they hate their coach' speech tomorrow.

Mark my words, the players will be in open revolt against BB by week 4. Probably by week 2. :D

I don't put any stock in what Maz says hes a baseball writer. He should stick to that.

Last edited:
Another transparent attempt from a sports writer to generate a lot of interest and outrage (i.e. hits to the website to drive up advertsising dollars) - which is certainly their perogative - but it can't be mistaken for actual analysis like some other writers.

AND, if Seymour does not sign with the Raiders after the 2010 season, what happens if he ends up with the Colts? Or the Steelers? Or the Dolphins.
The JESTs, You forgot the JESTs G2. I was thinking the fins or jests.

The only way that the Seymour trade could help the 2009 is if the money is used to sign someone.

It is... Wilfork and/or Brady. Signing someone at his position makes no sense since we're poised to transition to a 4-3/3-4 hybrid type of defense that we saw in 2001. With the combination of Green/Brace/Pryor, we can still run a 3-4 using any one of them as a committee depending on the down and distance.

For the record, I think this is a HUGE loss for the Pats and have thought that all day. But the bottom line is that we were either going to lose him or Wilfork after the season anyway. The way I look at it, Wilfork is the anchor to this defense and the best NT in football. It made more sense to trade Seymour now and get great value for him to be able to sign Wilfork to a new contract. Also, Brady has a new contract coming up and this will most certainly help him get it.

Does anybody think that we dump Logan Mankins before the season starts? I'm not the best at this contract stuff, but his contract, Wilfork's contract, and Brady's contract are all coming up. Something's gotta give and, as the Seymour trade showed, something will give. Anybody think it will be Mankins?

The 2001-2004 HOF coaching achievement is not at issue. If this all doesn't work, people will talk about the 2001-2004 patriots for many decades. What we have been hopeing for is that the dynasty didn't end at the 2005 Super Bowl. I would much rather that folks 25 years from now be talking about the 2001-2015 dynasty.

I absolutely agree; however, Maz wrote, "That very fact only accentuates the truth that Belichick may have just gambled on the 2009 season and his legacy going forward." This line (conveniently) reads two different ways (entire legacy as the actions of today go forward vs legacy from today on). I chose the former in my interpretation and criticism of the column.

I club this Assrotti oops, sorry, Massarotti with Marshal Faulk. They are well paid jokers whose objective is to trash the Pats. Simple. So, I don't read/listen to them and if the others here mention what they say, I read it with wry amusement.

I wish things go the same as it did for us when Milloy was traded and BB was villanized by the media and fans alike.

BB has done enough for this franchise that I will never question any of his moves. He knows more than any of us could and certainly more than some of the clowns that are paid to write and mouth against the Pats.

Glad you are happy with the second half meltdown in the 2006 AFCCG and the blown perfect season in 2007.

Mr Kraft thanks you for being so understanding and willing to accept losing.

Good job.

I like you. Even though I disagree with about 90% of what the Pats organization does, their still the best team in the NFL because of Brady, Moss and Belichick as a head coach. Although I think BB is the best head coach in the NFL, I don't think his defensive schemes really scare anybody. In fact, I think the league has caught on since 2005. So if your wondering, I think he's overrated as a defensive "guru". I know it's hard to believe for many Pats fans, but BB isn't the best in the league when it comes to defense. In my opinion, Rex Ryan, **** LeBeau and Steve Spagnolo are the best. Anybody that can crack the Pats offense is legit and Spagnolo did it.

Last edited:
It's funny how spoiled some fans of this franchise are nowadays. Prior to 2001, most fans would have given their left nut to experience an 18-1 season... Super Bowl or not. Now it's GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME. Nevermind that we've managed to become a dynasty in a time when dynasties were not supposed to exist.

It is... Wilfork and/or Brady. Signing someone at his position makes no sense since we're poised to transition to a 4-3/3-4 hybrid type of defense that we saw in 2001. With the combination of Green/Brace/Pryor, we can still run a 3-4 using any one of them as a committee depending on the down and distance.

For the record, I think this is a HUGE loss for the Pats and have thought that all day. But the bottom line is that we were either going to lose him or Wilfork after the season anyway. The way I look at it, Wilfork is the anchor to this defense and the best NT in football. It made more sense to trade Seymour now and get great value for him to be able to sign Wilfork to a new contract. Also, Brady has a new contract coming up and this will most certainly help him get it.

Does anybody think that we dump Logan Mankins before the season starts? I'm not the best at this contract stuff, but his contract, Wilfork's contract, and Brady's contract are all coming up. Something's gotta give and, as the Seymour trade showed, something will give. Anybody think it will be Mankins?

Mankins is a RFA in a uncapped 2010, so no...

I absolutely agree; however, Maz wrote, "That very fact only accentuates the truth that Belichick may have just gambled on the 2009 season and his legacy going forward." This line (conveniently) reads two different ways (entire legacy as the actions of today go forward vs legacy from today on). I chose the former in my interpretation and criticism of the column.
entire legacy is way too strong to write. its not like he traded brady.

I don't put any stock in what Maz says hes a baseball writer. He should stick to that.

He sucks at that too. He should just go back to his gay-love affair with Tomase and stick to his real talent:Gossip and innuendo.

A true Globe untalent.

I like you. Even though I disagree with about 90% of what the Pats organization does, their still the best team in the NFL because of Brady, Moss and Belichick as a head coach. Although I think BB is the best head coach in the NFL, I don't think his defensive schemes really scare anybody. In fact, I think the league has caught on since 2005. So if your wondering, I think he's overrated as a defensive "guru". I know it's hard to believe for many Pats fans, but BB isn't the best in the league when it comes to defense. In my opinion, Rex Ryan, **** LeBeau and Steve Spagnolo are the best. Anybody that can crack the Pats offense is legit and Spagnolo did it.

Spags did it by employing a defensive philosophy that was either going to win him the game or cause the Giants to lose 100-17. If Stephen Neal doesn't go down, chances are the latter would have happened.

Tony Massarotti: A real American douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes