PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney's benching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mute point. He needs to be gone. As you say he has had four years. He is a JAG.
Hopefully his contract is up. You can say he lost two games all by himslef this year.
DW Toys

What the HELL is a "mute" point.

My point was Maroney has been here four years and there is no one here on this forum including Batman and Robbin who could honestly (key word) say Maroney has been worth a number #1 pick. Let's look for someone else.

Indeed. We have been down this road before. Let's revisit, shall we?

1 Houston Mario Williams - DE
2 New Orleans Reggie Bush - RB
3 Tennessee Vince Young - QB
4 New York D'Brickashaw Ferguson - OT
5 Green Bay A.J. Hawk - LB
6 San Francisco Vernon Davis - TE
7 Oakland Michael Huff
8 Buffalo Donte' Whitner
9 Detroit Ernie Sims - LB
10 Arizona Matt Leinart - QB
11 Denver Jay Cutler - QB
12 Baltimore Haloti Ngata - DT
13 Cleveland Kamerion Wimbley - DE
14 Philadelphia Brodrick Bunkley - DT
15 St. Louis Tye Hill
16 Miami Jason Allen
17 Minnesota Chad Greenway - LB
18 Dallas Bobby Carpenter - LB
19 San Diego Antonio Cromartie
20 Kansas City Tamba Hali - DE
21 New England Laurence Maroney - RB
22 San Francisco Manny Lawson - DE
23 Tampa Bay Davin Joseph - OG
24 Cincinnati Johnathan Joseph
25 Pittsburgh Santonio Holmes - WR
26 Buffalo John McCargo - DT
27 Carolina DeAngelo Williams - RB
28 Jacksonville Marcedes Lewis - TE
29 New York Nick Mangold
30 Indianapolis Joseph Addai - RB
31 Seattle Kelly Jennings
32 New York Mathias Kiwanuka - DE

Given the realities of the NFL draft (rather than your romanticized armchair quarterback view), I'd say he was a fine pick.

Why are the backers of Maroney trying to force him down the throats of some that say he lacks in many areas? We don't hate him or his family. It's time for a change.
DW Toys

For the following reasons:

1) He's a decent back
2) He's cheap

We have significant holes at OLB, ILB, DE, OG, and WR. We might have further holes at CB and TE depending on which players we re-sign. And now we have luminaries saying we should cut our most dependable RB. Just how many positions do you think we can overhaul/restock this offseason?

Frankly, I'd rather cut Morris and sign/draft another guy to join the rotation.

Yeah, I pointed out he screwed up. It's "moo point" like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter.

Haha I've never heard of moo point before, nice. DW Toys is looking for the term "moot point".

Sanders played fine.

Are you willing to finally man up and admit you were totally and completely wrong about him?

I won't hold my breath.

Completely wrong? What? Jack you are kidding now? The dude got benched over half the year and they lost more games than they won when he "came back". He had just three passes defended the entire year. No INTs and no fumble recoveries. We had no more wins when he started as anyone else. I get it...........Sarcasm.

I bet you are mad he didn't make the pro Bowl but this thread is about Maroney. What do you want me to admit about him? I say we can get along without him just like Chad Jackson.
DW Toys

Completely wrong? What? Jack you are kidding now? The dude got benched over half the year and they lost more games than they won when he "came back". He had just three passes defended the entire year. No INTs and no fumble recoveries. We had no more wins when he started as anyone else. I get it...........Sarcasm.

I bet you are mad he didn't make the pro Bowl but this thread is about Maroney. What do you want me to admit about him? I say we can get along without him just like Chad Jackson.
DW Toys

He didn't get benched. McGowan won the spot early in the year. It was McGowan who later got benched, in favor of Sanders.

And if you really believe it to be logically consistent to blame losses in the second half of the year on Sanders, then there really is no hope for you. In fact, just about every (rational) poster on this board observed how communication and execution improved in the secondary once Sanders was reinserted into the lineup.

Indeed. We have been down this road before. Let's revisit, shall we?

1 Houston Mario Williams - DE
2 New Orleans Reggie Bush - RB
3 Tennessee Vince Young - QB
4 New York D'Brickashaw Ferguson - OT
5 Green Bay A.J. Hawk - LB
6 San Francisco Vernon Davis - TE
7 Oakland Michael Huff
8 Buffalo Donte' Whitner
9 Detroit Ernie Sims - LB
10 Arizona Matt Leinart - QB
11 Denver Jay Cutler - QB
12 Baltimore Haloti Ngata - DT
13 Cleveland Kamerion Wimbley - DE
14 Philadelphia Brodrick Bunkley - DT
15 St. Louis Tye Hill
16 Miami Jason Allen
17 Minnesota Chad Greenway - LB
18 Dallas Bobby Carpenter - LB
19 San Diego Antonio Cromartie
20 Kansas City Tamba Hali - DE
21 New England Laurence Maroney - RB
22 San Francisco Manny Lawson - DE
23 Tampa Bay Davin Joseph - OG
26 Buffalo John McCargo - DT
27 Carolina DeAngelo Williams - RB
28 Jacksonville Marcedes Lewis - TE
29 New York Nick Mangold

Given the realities of the NFL draft (rather than your romanticized armchair quarterback view), I'd say he was a fine pick.

For the following reasons:

1) He's a decent back
2) He's cheap

We have significant holes at OLB, ILB, DE, OG, and WR. We might have further holes at CB and TE depending on which players we re-sign. And now we have luminaries saying we should cut our most dependable RB. Just how many positions do you think we can overhaul/restock this offseason?

Frankly, I'd rather cut Morris and sign/draft another guy to join the rotation.

I actually agree with some of your needs.But lets look at these chaps and tell me which you would rather have had:

29 New York Nick Mangold

Most dependable? I beg to differ.

DW Toys

DW Toys

Do you feel we need probowlers at every position? Sanders is serviceable and does a decent job. Chad Jackson was a failure.

I actually agree with some of your needs.But lets look at these chaps and tell me which you would rather have had:

29 New York Nick Mangold

DW Toys

funny how you left out the only player who most people on this board would rather have, deangelo williams.

Joseph Addai is a terrible example as in the Colts drafting another RB in the first round last year in Donald Brown.

He didn't get benched. McGowan won the spot early in the year. It was McGowan who later got benched, in favor of Sanders.

And if you really believe it to be logically consistent to blame losses in the second half of the year on Sanders, then there really is no hope for you. In fact, just about every (rational) poster on this board observed how communication and execution improved in the secondary once Sanders was reinserted into the lineup.

Hey! I thought you were going to block me? Hurry up. They won as many games Jack with a journeyman SS.
DW Toys

funny how you left out the only player who most people on this board would rather have, deangelo williams.

Joseph Addai is a terrible example as in the Colts drafting another RB in the first round last year in Donald Brown.

Good Point sir!
DW Toys

Way to miss the point entirely.

Though to play your game, I'd rather have Holmes and Mangold. Don't see enough Bungles games to say re: Joseph, though I've heard he's decent.

DW Toys

Oh really? Do, go on...

Last edited:
Hey! I thought you were going to block me? Hurry up. They won as many games Jack with a journeyman SS.
DW Toys

You are aware of something called a schedule and do understand that, in the NFL, some teams are good and others are not, don't you?

while I agree maroney did deserve to ride the pine for some time during this season, thought yesterdays benching was bizarre. The kid plays hard, been running the ball good I thought 2nd half of the season on. He gets steam rolled by ray lewis. I am not saying maroney is the answer, and I would think drafting a rb should be on the list of off season moves, but BB coaching decision on maroney yesterday was bad, imo.

while I agree maroney did deserve to ride the pine for some time during this season, thought yesterdays benching was bizarre. The kid plays hard, been running the ball good I thought 2nd half of the season on. He gets steam rolled by ray lewis. I am not saying maroney is the answer, and I would think drafting a rb should be on the list of off season moves, but BB coaching decision on maroney yesterday was bad, imo.

24-0, situation forced them into passing and not being able to utilize the run as they wanted to.

I'll defer to your superior knowledge of physics, but not of football. :p
1. Maroney's only real problem is between his ears at times. Look at the replay as many times as you want--he had time to get over more in front of Lewis as Lewis is charging the LOS. Any back who is worth a damn at pass protection is going react more quickly and get a better piece of Lewis, regardless of which way Brady turns.

2. If you're going to argue physics in relation to an supremely athletic NFL RB being able to slow down a 250 pound LB with a full head of steam, then sorry I just can't help you. Neither can Tedy Bruschi:

"Ray Lewis blitzed up the middle, shrugged off Laurence Maroney like he wasn't there, and sacked Tom Brady"

OK, just stick to science then. Lewis outweighs Maroney by 30 lbs. and had significantly higher acceleration due to his running start. That means that Maroney had no chance of generating enough force to stop Lewis from reaching Brady. His best and only chance was to redirect Lewis and hope Brady slides in the opposite direction. Maroney actually did a good job, knocking Lewis off his direct path (the hash mark) by a couple of feet. Not sure why Brady turned away from his throwing hand, but that is hardly Maroney's fault.

As for Bruschi's comment, he is correct that Lewis had such an overwhelming edge in force that Maroney didn't offer much resistance. How is that Maroney's issue? Does anyone think the play was designed to have Brady under center, have Lewis come through clean in a full sprint and expect Maroney to come from a deep set to block Lewis and give Brady enough time to execute a pass? There is enough blame to pass around (the play call, the line protection call, the snap count that allowed Lewis to hit the LOS at 100mph, Brady's movement in the pocket, etc.) without blaming Maroney for not having the enchanted powers needed to salvage that disaster.

If you were expecting Maroney to cut Lewis, remember that would put a tumbling (but still accelerating) Lewis on a collision course with Brady's knees. If you were expecting Maroney to take Lewis straight on, both Lewis and Maroney would have crashed into Brady. Don't believe me? Ask someone who weighs 15% more than you to stand 15 yards away from you, give him a 2 second running start and then get in front of him. After you regain consciousness, let me know how that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST