PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Herzlich - What do you think of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the big question with him is the rod in his leg. How will that stand up to an NFL season and for how many years. I really like the player.

If the Patriots are comnvinced that his leg will stand up to the beating it will take with the longer NFL season and against NFL competition, I would say use on of the 3rd rounders on him if he is still on the board.

I had him at #74 with an * in one of the Patriots mocks I was doing last night. The * was for the rod in his leg.

the big question with him is the rod in his leg. How will that stand up to an NFL season and for how many years. I really like the player.

If the Patriots are comnvinced that his leg will stand up to the beating it will take with the longer NFL season and against NFL competition, I would say use on of the 3rd rounders on him if he is still on the board.

I had him at #74 with an * in one of the Patriots mocks I was doing last night. The * was for the rod in his leg.

I can speak First Person to this concern: A rod in the leg doesn't slow you up at ALL.

If Herzlich ~ "Hearty" in Germanian!! :rocker: ~ does, indeed, plummet to the 5th Round or so, he would become more interesting....

Conventional wisdom...Herzlich translates to ILB for the Pats and they have enough at that position (Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, Fletcher). Herzlich doesn't have the bulk to set the edge and was never really a pass rusher at BC.

Unconventional thinking...If healthy and back to a 2008 level physically, he is a top 15 talent. He has a high football IQ and has unique skills in coverage that translate well to a pass-happy NFL. If you can get that in a 2nd round pick, you just do it and figure out the best way to use him later.

The real question is health. If he checks out physically, he is a fine selection at 2A/2B. I think this draft is about upgrading at the top and not developing from the bottom. A 2008 Herzlich is an upgrade to Guyton and helps build superior depth and flexibility at LB.

I think you are spot on with your analysis, however, I think you are one or two rounds too early but that's what we said last year about Cunningham so maybe your are inside BB's head!:bricks:

I would take him in day 3.......he's a good football player and bad luck has reduced him somewhat.

put it this way......he can't be worse than shawn crable

Anyone with that level of production, size and football IQ is worthy of a late 3rd round pick if he fits the system.

Herzlich has the heart of Teddy Bruschi, I'll go for him in the 3rd.

If you are going to project Herzlich to the Pats, I believe you have to think outside the box. ...

However, free your mind from the shackles of conventional thinking and Herzlich could make a lot of sense. He never plays with his hands on the ground (which is what the Pats OLBs do in passing situations) but you line him up all over the field. He will drop into coverage a lot but still be reactive to draw plays and spying a mobile QB. He could also occasionally rush the QB from any number of spots.

That would limit him to sub packages, exotic formations (the roaming linebacker scheme) and occasional rotation duty at ILB. That could potentially be half the snaps on defense. That is clearly worth a 2nd round pick for the Pats if he is healthy. If he projects to the 2008 Herzlich, he is a steal even at 1B/2A and will quickly displace Guyton on the roster.

Very accurate post.

Also, recommended reading before posting, is the following article, w/ quotes from Tedy Bruschi:

Mark Herzlich beat cancer, long odds for his shot at NFL draft - USATODAY.com

"I have to disagree with Mark somewhat when he said he feels like he's all the way back," Bruschi said. "I don't think he is yet.

"That first year back — especially after going through what he went through — he got his feet wet. His best football is going to be next year and in the next two years because of Mark getting that comeback season under his belt when you have to deal with a lot of things physically and mentally.

"He'll have even more confidence and more ability his rookie season."

"His body type reminds me of (former Patriots teammate) Mike Vrabel, tall and long," Bruschi said. "He has an incredible amount of experience of playing in space, covering those smaller receivers."
---

If we consider Metaphor's post and Bruschi's thoughts, a strong case can be made for Mark being a legitimate Pats prospect. As a gameplan team, and with role players needed to execute each gameplan/situation, I can see where he would be a solid value pick. Currently, Mark is a 3rd-5th round projection. IMO, #60 seems reasonable IF the Pats are very high on him.

well BC had their pro day, didn't they. How'd he do????????

I've been looking to see how he did.

Any news is appreciated because hes my fav prospect

Not much info available YET -- found this: Boston College pro day: Win for Castonzo, draw for Herzlich - NFL - Sporting News
Herzlich reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.9-second range. His lack of explosiveness also was apparent in linebacker drills. Teams were hoping Herzlich could rediscover the explosive form he showed in 2008 before his bout with bone cancer, something that was lost on film in 2010. Despite the disappointment, he should still be drafted in the third or fourth round.

Wow umm 4.9. Yeah, he's far from being back yet. And ILB is just not a big need for us. I'd project him as a STer/Coverage LBer. He'd definitely have to redshirt considering his health issues. I might take a 7th round flyer on him or hope to get him as a priority UDFA though. He'd make a feel good story, yes, but he'd also be a gamble.

Last edited:
Wow umm 4.9. Yeah, he's far from being back yet. And ILB is just not a big need for us. I'd project him as a STer/Coverage LBer. He'd definitely have to redshirt considering his health issues. I might take a 7th round flyer on him or hope to get him as a priority UDFA though. He'd make a feel good story, yes, but he'd also be a gamble.

Brandon Spikes says hello

He seems to me to be redundant with Spikes. Maybe with a bit quicker to react but with less agility. That being said, he could be a consideration in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Brandon Spikes says hello
As do Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher when Brandon is on the sideline for passing downs, not to mention Ninkovich took a few ILB reps in various formations last season. BB is trying to get faster on defense, one player like Spikes can be worked around, but I'm hard pressed to see Herz getting a lot of reps, especially with the late round coverage LBs NE has been visiting all running 4.6/4.7 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News