PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Broncos won the AFC west and a playoff game with freaking Tim Tebow at the helm. That would seem to indicate that the rest of their team is pretty good. Citing three teams that didn't make the playoffs last year does not help whatever it is your point is.

:bricks:

They won BECAUSE of freaking Tim Tebow at the helm.

Manning has said he doesn't want to play against his brother unless he has to. The Williams sisters try to avoid this (and look miserable when they are forced to do it), the Klitschkos definitely avoid this. This seems like a pretty legitimate reason to have a preference for the AFC. The idea was always to pick the best situation in the AFC. While you say authoritatively that the Dolphins, KC and Tennessee are better situations, the objective facts suggest otherwise, and it is completely reasonable for Manning to think that Denver's situation is best. It's not like he chose Jacksonville over Houston or something.

Yes, choosing the lesser team instead of the better option for winning the Super Bowl is what I pointed out. As for the "objective facts...", that's just nonsense. KC, for example, had the same record as the Broncos despite losing Moeaki, Charles and Berry all at the start of the season, and despite having a QB carousel with the likes of Tyler Palko playing under center.

Alex Smith should wind up with two teams, San Fran and Miami, biddign for him. He could top 10 million a year if he plays his cards right.

However maybe Miami should trade for Tebow because 10 million for Smith is crazy.

Miami should trade for Hoyer

Alex Smith should wind up with two teams, San Fran and Miami, biddign for him. He could top 10 million a year if he plays his cards right.

However maybe Miami should trade for Tebow because 10 million for Smith is crazy.

Maybe that was Condon's diabolical plan all along. Doesn't he represent them both?

Last edited:

Miami made a Huge mistake passing on Matt Flynn...i would rather an unknown over Alex Smith at this point. I don't think Smith thrives anywhere else than San Fran where the Offense fits his skill sets. But can any Team win the Big one with Smith at QB i don't think so. P.s. with Pete Carroll who had sucess with College QB's i think Matt Flynn is going to surprise teh NFL in 2012 granted the Sea Hawks hame some weapons.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that getting the final financial numbers done on Manning’s contract will be easy because the Broncos told Manning in their very first visit with him that they could offer $95 million over five years.

That suggests that the Broncos were actually willing to give Manning a little more, at least in terms of total value and average value, than the Colts gave him when he signed his five-year, $90 million contract last year.

Broncos told Peyton they can pay him $95 million over five years | ProFootballTalk

I guess that Bowlen has enough cap room this time not to cheat his way to the SB,
if he & horse-teeth & horse-face are lucky enough to ever get there in the next 2 years.

Too bad Gregg Williams is no longer NO's DC. I'd love for him to have placed a bounty
on that below-.500-in-the-POs goober.

Got this from a poster on another site:

YEAR WEEK OPP RESULT CMP ATT CPCT YRD TD INT RTG
-------------------------------------------------- -------
2001 wk03 @ NEP L13-44 20 34 58.8% 196 1 3 48.2
2001 wk06 v NEP L17-38 22 34 64.7% 335 1 0 106.9
2003 wk13 v NEP L34-38 29 48 60.4% 278 4 1 95.7
2003 AFCC @ NEP L14-24 23 47 48.9% 237 1 4 35.5
2004 wk01 @ NEP L24-27 16 29 55.2% 256 2 1 93.5
2004 AFCD @ NEP L03-20 27 42 64.3% 238 0 1 69.3
2005 wk03 v CLE W13-06 19 23 82.6% 228 0 1 89.9
2008 wk13 @ CLE W10-06 25 21 71.4% 125 0 2 46.8
2010 wk05 v KCC W19-09 26 44 59.1% 244 0 1 65.0
-------------------------------------------------- -------

Crennel D vs manning

I've never been Manning's biggest fan to say the least. OK, I dislike the guy. But I am surprised that money would turn out to be such a motivating factor - THE factor - in his decision.

You'd think a guy who has made the money he's made over his career, and cashed in by making another what, $28 million from the Colts last year without playing a down (a risk he knew when he signed the contract), would not be worried about still being the highest paid at his position.

Denver's opponents this season (non-division opponents in bold):

HOME:
Oakland Raiders
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Cleveland Browns
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints
Houston Texans

AWAY:
Oakland Raiders
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New England Patriots

eeyore_manning-jpg.2671

:bricks:

They won BECAUSE of freaking Tim Tebow at the helm.

Quite a few fans here and elsewhere (Patsfan Andy Johnson for example) would scoff at this notion, giving the Denver defense credit for any wins noting their quality stats.

But I'm with you on this one... My eyeball test showed a guy who was extremely difficult to stop and rallied the offense to score needed points when it counted most.

But when the GM of the team you got those wins for desperately wants to make a change at QB it should be a wake up call for Tebow and other teams in need of a long term QB solution.

I'm not expecting Tebow is ready to give up at QB and since there's a lack of quality QBs in the NFL I expect he'll be able to find a new team with a good chance to start. But I side with Elway on making this change, as he's improved the team in the short term and has a good chance of finding a better pure QB to develop post Manning.

I remain among the few Patsfans who would love to see what Tebow could do as a non-QB option along side a proven QB like Brady, and think that Belichick could completely confound defenses by figuring out how best to use Tebow, but it's doubtful we would ever see that come to pass, if only because Tebow himself is not interested in letting that happen.

Last edited:
Denver will win fewer games next year, or at least they will go one-and-done in the playoffs, like Peyton has done often (7 times, I think?)

broken down overpaid gag artist

Denver's opponents this season (non-division opponents in bold):

Losses on the road to Baltimore, New England and one or two AFC West games.

One loss at home to Pittsburgh, but I'm not sure about that since Pitt is going backward. Revenge game though.

This spells 12-4 record to me.

If they win 10 games next year with that schedule I'm very impressed...8-8 if Manning plays ok.

If they win 10 games next year with that schedule I'm very impressed...8-8 if Manning plays ok.

I don't see it...Even with the schedule I see 4-2 for us in the division, 6-4 or so at WORST out of the division.

Tough schedule for sure, but we were an accurate QB away from being pretty good last year. Address some needs in the draft, watch the young D continue to improve, etc.

I'm very much looking forward to watching Denver this year :D

I've never been Manning's biggest fan to say the least. OK, I dislike the guy. But I am surprised that money would turn out to be such a motivating factor - THE factor - in his decision.

You'd think a guy who has made the money he's made over his career, and cashed in by making another what, $28 million from the Colts last year without playing a down (a risk he knew when he signed the contract), would not be worried about still being the highest paid at his position.

I think it's safe to say that Manning was going to end up getting a deal close to $100 mil, with the devil, of course, in the details of how much is up front and how much is guaranteed; Bud Adams (Net Worth north of one billion) basically said he'd pay whatever it took to bring him on board in Nashville. So, the money was going to be about the same wherever he went.

So, why not take it?

The $28 he made while rehabbing last year was fair compensation for what he did for the Colts and the entire Indianapolis era during his time there. And, he was rehabbing in good faith, assuming that he would be playing there next season; who knew that the Colts would win the Luck sweepstakes?

Manning is a rare talent and I think he has every right to get paid every dime he can, especially given the violence of his chosen profession.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back