PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Smith should use his leverage with other teams to get the best deal he can from the 49er's but if he leaves because his feelings are hurt that they went after one of the best QB's to ever play the game then I pity the team that gets him.

Still cannot believe they gave him 5 years.....

That is a lot of Money.

Anyone think his neck might be better?

I give all the credit to the Broncos defense and their running game for their stretch of wins. You can argue that Tebow contributed to Denver's running game, but I would argue that his inability to accurately throw the ball, read coverage, and make defenses respect the passing game had a bigger negative impact than his positive contribution in the running game.

The reason their defense improved was because they spent less time on the field. So the offense gets credit for that.

In their first 5 games of last season with Orton under center the offense had the ball for less time than any team except the Indianapolis Colts. When Tebow took over they were 11th best in the league. The season before they were 23rd for the season on time of possession but 10th over the games that Tebow started.

The defense gave up 390 yards per game while Orton was the starter on offense. They gave up 343.2 ypg when Tebow was the starter which would tie them for 14th in the league.
They gave up 27.4 points per game while Orton started and 23.0 ppg when Tebow started.

So while you want to give all the credit to the defense I don't think thats at all fair. I'd give a lot of credit to the offensive system which meant the D spent more time off the field.

Manning's deal with Indy was for 5 years $90M. He collected $26M in year 1. His new deal with Denver is for 5 years $96M. He is guaranteed $18M. If he passes a physical prior to the 2013 season he is guaranteed $40M for 2013-14. That would be 4 years $84M haul... AAV on new deal is new high mark of $19.2, ergo leverage for Brees who is healthy and younger demanding more than the $18M NO has on the table.

There is some sort of waiver included in the deal relating to future neck problems. Manning will indemnify Denver against those, not against future "injury". So if he tears his ACL in 2013 they are on the hook for $40M. Which is as it should be.

Let this be a lesson to those who believe that the price of premier QB's decreases with age...

Somewhere - between Manning and Tebow to NE, Tommy is probably sputtering just a tad under his breath... No wonder Bill is signing WR's like mad... Brady's 4 year extension totaled $72M. Manning just upped the ante on Brady's final extension.

Last edited:
Damn! Broncos taking a huge risk here

Not really. If he doesn't come back as planned they are out $18M and they can part company and maybe they're drafting or within striking distance of drafting the 2013 version of the next best rookie draft QB since Manning...because they are out from under Tebow.

If he's healthy and playing well in 2013 and 2014 they are paying him $20M to perform to his level. After that it's year to year.

If Manning is back 100%, then that's money worth investing. There's only a few players in the NFL that affect games like elite QBs like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Brees. The Broncos offense just went from a pinto, to a potential Ferrari. They need to sign Clark and Stokley to really maximize Peyton's potential.

Wow. I'm just starting to realize how nuts it is that Peyton is playing for the Broncos. It's just weird... And 5 years? Damn!

Wow, so Manning will basically have earned just shy of $50 million without playing a single snap? (OK, so 44 - 26 for Indy, 18 for Denver)

And people still think this guy isn't about money. Gimme a break.

Mo - re: Brady, we know he doesn't sweat the $$ the way Manning does, I think we've always seen he's willing to take less. I think, if anything, Brady probably took closer to market value on his last deal than he has in the past out of respect for his ties to the NFLPA now.

I still think that Kraft & BB would be wise to approach Brady for an extension soon and try to get that AAV down, if anything, and spread out some of those large cap hits coming up. Brady would be more amenable to it now than ever. I'm pretty sure he'd trade life and limb for a fourth ring at this point.

Last edited:
By going the all salary route out of the gate they have also given themselves a ton of flexibility going forward when for instance if he plays great and passes his physical at the end of 2012 they can convert some or most of that $40M in then guaranteed salary in 2013 and 2014 into signing bonus to manage their cap. Right now there is NO DEAD CAP ramification on this deal...

The player who had his jersey retired a long time ago has agreed it's unretiring so Manning will be wearing #18 for the Broncos.

Alex Smith should use his leverage with other teams to get the best deal he can from the 49er's but if he leaves because his feelings are hurt that they went after one of the best QB's to ever play the game then I pity the team that gets him.
Well of course his decision isn't going to be abuot hurt feelings, but of course many people will chalk it up to that.

Wow, so Manning will basically have earned just shy of $50 million without playing a single snap?

Mo - re: Brady, we know he doesn't sweat the $$ the way Manning does, I think we've always seen he's willing to take less. I think, if anything, Brady probably took closer to market value on his last deal than he has in the past out of respect for his ties to the NFLPA now.

I still think that Kraft & BB would be wise to approach Brady for an extension soon and try to get that AAV down, if anything, and spread out some of those large cap hits coming up. Brady would be more amenable to it now than ever. I'm pretty sure he'd trade life and limb for a fourth ring at this point.

It ain't going down (a far as AAV). They will be fortunate (and know it) if it doesn't go up appreciably. They would have to add 2-3 years just to lower the existing last two cap hits. And for that they would have to essentially pay him largely up front for those years ($19.5M) plus a little more because those years in his deal are already partially (injury and cap) guaranteed with rolling guarantees that make them totally guaranteed (skill) during the final week of the preceding season.

Sure it's about money for Manning, but don't try to take away the fact that he wants to succeed and wants to leave behind a legacy in his name. The Broncos were a good choice for Peyton. He get's money, and he's on a good team with a chance to win.

Last edited:
Wow, so Manning will basically have earned just shy of $50 million without playing a single snap? (OK, so 44 - 26 for Indy, 18 for Denver)

Then again, Peyton's wife isn't pulling in more than Peyton is. . . . :)

The player who had his jersey retired a long time ago has agreed it's unretiring so Manning will be wearing #18 for the Broncos.

That's interesting, who was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents