PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Man in the Arena Discussion

I didn't react to this clip the way I thought I would. Thought I'd brush it off as PR crap.

Very genuine. I think he meant every word.
Yeah the ending of the episode definitely would make every Patriots fan emotional

No, they weren’t good enough. And no other qb they had ever won a SB in their careers.
R6: not sure what span you were talking about with this comment, but what about Jim Plunkett Pats 1971-75 went on to win 2 SBs w Raiders. Maybe you meant 80s and/or won a SB before the Pats?

R6: not sure what span you were talking about with this comment, but what about Jim Plunkett Pats 1971-75 went on to win 2 SBs w Raiders. Maybe you meant 80s and/or won a SB before the Pats?
I was talking about the years he stated, 1986 and 1988

Last edited:
Very emotional end to the episode. Brady wrapped up his time here with a lot of class, acknowledging that were moments of tension with Bill, but only moments and that he loved playing for him.

Very emotional end to the episode. Brady wrapped up his time here with a lot of class, acknowledging that were moments of tension with Bill, but only moments and that he loved playing for him.
20 year relationship of course there be tension. The ending was the best 10 minutes of the series so far.

I'm also a big believer in resistance bands/training. With that said I'm 50 and for 25 years spent 5-6 days in the gym with free weights and machines. I took about 10 years off from weight training but when my daughters started weight training for sports, I decided to give it a go again. Soon discovered my shoulders, elbows, knees and hips couldn't handle the weights anymore (I started out real easy, too.) . I can't say i'm super pliable but using bands still gives you a kick-ass workout and my joints don't hurt (as much).

I don't think players that need to build/maintain a high-volume of muscle mass can consistency use bands as a core component of their training but with what Tom is trying to accomplish (flexibility, less stress on tendons, muscles) he is 100% spot-on.
Yes and no. For skill players pliability is a must, but they also need some armor. Guys like Gronk who are genetically gifted and spent a whole life developing that can definitely profit from this. However, there was an episode of Brady and Edelman training in Montana years back, where Brady is trying to convince Jules to go just with bands and Julian literally said he needs armor. Being the father of both a college receiver and HS receiver whose boys are on the Jean side, I far prefer they go out on the field with some muscle mass. I heard that the real gripe was they were trying to push the pliability stuff on the lineman, who definitely need size and power. Also apparently working with Guerrero is extremely expensive and this could lead to some really weird dynamics on the team, both business wise and playing wise.

Yes and no. For skill players pliability is a must, but they also need some armor. Guys like Gronk who are genetically gifted and spent a whole life developing that can definitely profit from this. However, there was an episode of Brady and Edelman training in Montana years back, where Brady is trying to convince Jules to go just with bands and Julian literally said he needs armor. Being the father of both a college receiver and HS receiver whose boys are on the Jean side, I far prefer they go out on the field with some muscle mass. I heard that the real gripe was they were trying to push the pliability stuff on the lineman, who definitely need size and power. Also apparently working with Guerrero is extremely expensive and this could lead to some really weird dynamics on the team, both business wise and playing wise.
Agree. I stated your point in my last paragraph

I don’t have the ESPN streaming app but I found this series by searching my Seren add-on for Kodi. If you don’t know what this means, it’s not going to help you much. PM me if you think this is something you want and I can point you in the right direction.

There's only a couple crazies in here like this, but to be anti-TB12 just because he left, is hilarious. Imagine listening to a dumba-s Chicago fan rant negatively about Michael Jordan, or an Edmonton fan repeatedly diss Gretzky, or a C's fan call Larry Bird a hick from french lick.

Last edited:
There's only a couple crazies in here like this, but to be anti-TB12 just because he left, is hilarious. Imagine listening to a dumba-s Chicago fan rant negatively about Michael Jordan, or an Edmonton fan repatedly diss Gretzky, or a C's fan call Larry Bird a hick from french lick.
I'd understand if he went to another rival or even in conference. He left to Tampa Bay !

I'd understand if he went to another rival or even in conference. He left to Tampa Bay !

Right. He didn't pull a Vinatieri and go to a rival. He went to a team with zero issue for the Pats and did the impossible. So to diss tb12, it's both hilarious and pathetic. Yet you have total crazies here like this.

I remember watching Montana and seeing if he could do it with KC. The fact tb12 did this in Tampa is amazing.

I don’t have the ESPN streaming app but I found this series by searching my Seren add-on for Kodi. If you don’t know what this means, it’s not going to help you much. PM me if you think this is something you want and I can point you in the right direction.
you use KODI, eh? always been way to slow for me...plus exactly how do you get an add-on that works? I still have KODI on my stick but I use Cinema for TV/Movies...1000 times faster

The 1986 team had possibly the worst running game in nfl history and a mediocre defense.
Yes, struggling all year after Hannah's retirement. But, in the playoff they did rush for 121 yards on 24 carries.

1986 Pats defense ranked 10th in the NFL in scoring, 5th in rushing, but 23rd in passing.

More than anything, a drastically better team with Grogan.
The 1988 team couldn’t score.
Defense similar to '86: 5th in scoring, 10th in rushing, 24th in passing.

Flutie was getting his first extended experience in the league. Not prolific, but way better than Steve Young, for example.

But they beat good teams. 4th in the NFL in rushing.

Like you, Berry got fed up with the unspectacular passing production.

He wasn't paying attention to the scoreboard, the standings, the team chemistry, the intangibles, or Flutie.
What is laughingstock level is claiming a refereees call in round 1 going the other way credits a team with a championship.
It was an entire game, but in the fourth quarter an avalanche of wrong calls all in favor of the home team.

Pittsburgh and Minnesota were toast, and were not winning.
Particularly a team that as constructed won no playoff games in that era.
One of the many endlessly trumpeted and totally deceiving statistics cited about the Patriots in the 60's and 70's.

Yes, struggling all year after Hannah's retirement. But, in the playoff they did rush for 121 yards on 24 carries.

1986 Pats defense ranked 10th in the NFL in scoring, 5th in rushing, but 23rd in passing.

More than anything, a drastically better team with Grogan.

Defense similar to '86: 5th in scoring, 10th in rushing, 24th in passing.

Flutie was getting his first extended experience in the league. Not prolific, but way better than Steve Young, for example.

But they beat good teams. 4th in the NFL in rushing.

Like you, Berry got fed up with the unspectacular passing production.

He wasn't paying attention to the scoreboard, the standings, the team chemistry, the intangibles, or Flutie.

It was an entire game, but in the fourth quarter an avalanche of wrong calls all in favor of the home team.

Pittsburgh and Minnesota were toast, and were not winning.

One of the many endlessly trumpeted and totally deceiving statistics cited about the Patriots in the 60's and 70's.
Nothing you said comes close to those teams being championship caliber.

Pittsburgh and Minnesota were good teams. You can’t just say they would have laid down. Championships are earned, no team has ever fallen 2 games short and can be considered certain to have won those. Again that group never won a playoff game and you are handing them 2 against the best teams in the league.
must just doesn’t work that way.

Nothing you said comes close to those teams being championship caliber.
Bengals (whom they beat) lost SB to SF by a last minute score.

Esiason had more experience, but that's it over Flutie.

Stephens>Woods

Morgan/Fryar>Brown/McGee

Esiason's best year, with a strong O-Line and home advantage, made them deserved favorites.

Story of the 80's is we'll never know what would have happened had Berry treated Eason like the mediocre at best backup that he was.

Bears (whom they beat) lost NFCCG to 49ers.

Right. He didn't pull a Vinatieri and go to a rival. He went to a team with zero issue for the Pats and did the impossible. So to diss tb12, it's both hilarious and pathetic. Yet you have total crazies here like this.

I remember watching Montana and seeing if he could do it with KC. The fact tb12 did this in Tampa is amazing.

Your lack of self awareness is just staggering!

you use KODI, eh? always been way to slow for me...plus exactly how do you get an add-on that works? I still have KODI on my stick but I use Cinema for TV/Movies...1000 times faster
I really don’t use it much. Cinema HD is better. I couldn’t find Man-in the Arena on it though.

i have a ton of streaming options so I seldom use a debrid-based app.

Bengals (whom they beat) lost SB to SF by a last minute score.

Esiason had more experience, but that's it over Flutie.

Stephens>Woods

Morgan/Fryar>Brown/McGee

Esiason's best year, with a strong O-Line and home advantage, made them deserved favorites.

Story of the 80's is we'll never know what would have happened had Berry treated Eason like the mediocre at best backup that he was.

Bears (whom they beat) lost NFCCG to 49ers.
The 88 Bengals scored 448 points, the 88 Patriots score 250.
Eddie Brown had over 1200 receiving yards, Morgan and fryer combined for less than 1000.
Woods and James brooks combined for 1997 yards and 5.2 per carry. Stevens had 1168 at 3.9 and his fb had 448 at 3.1.
Esiason threw 28 TD passes, Flutie threw 8.
Bengals were 12-4 patriots 9-7. Eason played 2 games and won 1.

1986 Patriots didn’t play the Bears and were 2-6 against teams with a winning record and had maybe the worst ol
in nfl history.

Career-wise, Marc Wilson and Babe Parilli won SB's as backups

But, the simple reality is Plunkett was elite and deserves the HOF.

He played well for some poor Patriots and 49ers teams, and the list of other QB's of that era who would have led the Raiders to those two titles is maybe two or three.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back