PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett Takes Lead In Brady Backup Derby

Re: Does anyone feel really good about Mallett right now?

I'm still no fan of his pocket presence and accuracy. We should still blow the backup QB spot up next offseason IMO. (releasing both Mallett and Tebow)

Keep in mind he was playing with an OLine of guys that maybe one of them makes the team as a backup.

137 passing yards in one quarter is evidence of sucking, to some people

:rolleyes:

When you throw the ball 20 times, that's a 6.8 YPA. Obviously not bad, but nothing special.

I know there is an article here about Mallett pulling into the lead....but is anyone who watched the game really confident that this guy could step right in if Brady went down and productively run this O? I am not. Was MUCH more confident in Brian Hoyer than this guy! (Which brings to mind...is Hoyer available?) Mallett has had a fair amount of time to learn the o and show that he can run it effectively/productively. But he is erratic, has the bledsoe happy feet, and misses throws all over the place. I know he threw the TD...which was great for him....but other than that did he really impress u guys? Do you feel comfortable with him coming in if god forbid TFB goes down? Thanks

I have felt good about Mallett as the backup since the get; my disappointment in him when expressed revolves around the foolish notions I put into my mind when he was drafted that we would someday get a 1st round draft pick for him or he would be the heir apparent to Brady. If I take those silly thoughts out of my mind and look at Mallett as just a backup QB I think he does a fine job and is like in the top 10 backups in the entire NFL.

From a performance perspective I think his biggest issues are centered on consistency, he makes a throw that scream stud, and then follow them up immediately with a throw that screws dud. I would be curious to see him as a starter for a different team, because I think a lot of those consistency issues would iron out if he played consist reps. A few things you can say about Mallett are he is immensely talented, his arm is impressive as hell, and he may have fit better as a 90’s QB, those 3 considered, I see no reason why Mallett couldn’t bring to a team what Jay Cutler brings.

I know there is an article here about Mallett pulling into the lead.

Pulling into the lead of what? Being the #2 QB? If anyone thought Tebow actually had even the tiniest chance of being the #2 QB

FACEPALM_Dean_Winchester.gif

I'd like to see what he can do with the starting oline. I thought he looked pretty good in there last night considering. Then again I'm not so sure how many starters were playing for TB last night either.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back