PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the case for Osi Umenyiora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its ridiculous because this guy is a worth giving up a draft pick.This team needs more pass rushers.How many more great years do u think Brady has?

I think even if Brady starts to decline he will regress to his younger form, I don't see him becoming a Favre.

Pre 2007 form Brady is still pretty damn awesome. I'm not going to worry about not being able to ride on Brady's arm until the day he is no longer here.

That said, you can only get so lucky, we do need to put the correct pieces around Brady to win regardless of his age or skill. No single person can do it alone.

edit: I'm already pretty excited about how this defense is going to look this year, I think Osi could put us in the top 5-10 defense. That might sound optimistic but hoping nobody regresses, return of Bodden, addition of Haynesworth ...our secondary will be solid at the least with an anemic pass rush, you add ANY pass rush and the secondary only gets better because the QB will be making hurried or bad decisions.

Last edited:
Its ridiculous because this guy is a worth giving up a draft pick.This team needs more pass rushers.How many more great years do u think Brady has?

I've got no issue with giving up a draft pick. I've got an issue with giving up a first round draft pick for a guy who doesn't particularly thrive against the run.

Get the guy for a 3rd and 4th, and I think you'd find people changing their tune instantly.

Belichick actually has a consistent record of being willing to trade away draft picks for veterans. He does it all the time: Dillon, Welker, Moss, Burgess, Starks, Smith, White, Branch, Ochocinco, Haynesworth just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more.

But Osi wants a boatload of money, too.

Patriots not even showing interest in this is pretty depressing.

per Rotoworld...

The Chargers, Seahawks, Broncos, Ravens and Rams have expressed an interest in trading for Osi Umenyiora, sources tell the New York Daily News.
None of these teams appear willing to meet the Giants' asking price of a first-round pick. But if the price is dropped to a second-rounder, the Giants may get someone to bite. The Daily News' sources cite the Rams as the team to watch -- former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo now coaching in St. Louis.

Belichick actually has a consistent record of being willing to trade away draft picks for veterans. He does it all the time: Dillon, Welker, Moss, Burgess, Starks, Smith, White, Branch, Ochocinco, Haynesworth just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more.

But Osi wants a boatload of money, too.

Unfortunately I agree that the $$ is the problem here, not the draft pick. Osi already has a ring, I assume he wants his paycheck now. Not everybody has Tom's attitude where he presumably cares about nothing besides getting more jewelry ...the very exclusive kind.

Restructure contracts.Do whatever it takes.He's the missing puzzle.Cant have too many pass rushers.I would ink him to a 3 year deal.I think he has alot left.

Patriots not even showing interest in this is pretty depressing.

per Rotoworld...

The Chargers, Seahawks, Broncos, Ravens and Rams have expressed an interest in trading for Osi Umenyiora, sources tell the New York Daily News.
None of these teams appear willing to meet the Giants' asking price of a first-round pick. But if the price is dropped to a second-rounder, the Giants may get someone to bite. The Daily News' sources cite the Rams as the team to watch -- former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo now coaching in St. Louis.

Patriots keep everything under wraps, when is the last time you heard about the Pats showing interest in ANYBODY that was more than speculation? They don't like the media or anyone else knowing about their plans because it can create leverage against them.

Isn't his issue with money that he wants a pay rise from the $4m he's due this year? I'm sure the Patriots could make cap space available to pay him something in the 7-7.5 region.

I've got no issue with giving up a draft pick. I've got an issue with giving up a first round draft pick for a guy who doesn't particularly thrive against the run.

Get the guy for a 3rd and 4th, and I think you'd find people changing their tune instantly.

He's a guy who was so bad against the run that he got replaced during running plays. He wants $10M+ a year. He's also 30, which is much older than you want to be talking to a DE about a long term deal.

I'm not sure I'd sign him as an FA right now at the money he wants, let alone give up a first round pick (or perpetual 2nd round picks forever)

I want Osi too, but you are an endless record with your 'waste picks' for 4th and 5th's blah, blah, blah. We still draft more players than other teams, draft more high round players than other teams, all while being near the bottom of each round with our own picks.

And those 4th and 5th's just got us Haynesworth and Ocho. We get it, the draft never matches your mocks. get over it.

And you are??????Mike Mayock? I bow to your expertise Cousin. What do you know about my mocks? What does that have to do with anything here? Have some more Koolaid without alcohol. We "Draft more High Round players"????What? We drop down many times to lower rounds. Ah...yeah O.K. you win. It is your opinion and you are entitled. I guess you speak for all when you say "We".
DW Toys

I am surprise the rams are in there.Geezzz.They drafted Robert Quinn and already have Chris Long.I would killed for one of those guys.:p

Restructure contracts.Do whatever it takes.He's the missing puzzle.Cant have too many pass rushers.I would ink him to a 3 year deal.I think he has alot left.

100% agree. Good post.
DW Toys

There's absolutey no way in hell that Osi would sign a 3 year deal. He wants 5+ and 60M+. He wants to be one of the best paid DEs in the league.

Defensive ends are still productive even during their 30s.They are disruptive.I guess their are putting all their eggs in the basquet for Haynesworth and expect Cunningham to put pressure.:confused:

Patriots keep everything under wraps, when is the last time you heard about the Pats showing interest in ANYBODY that was more than speculation? They don't like the media or anyone else knowing about their plans because it can create leverage against them.

Seems Andy and the Eagles have mastered BB's ways this off season as well...;)

There's absolutey no way in hell that Osi would sign a 3 year deal. He wants 5+ and 60M+. He wants to be one of the best paid DEs in the league.

yeah, if this is true there is no way possbile Bb goes for that nonsense

He wont get 5 years.Maybe 4 years but not five.

Defensive ends are still productive even during their 30s.They are disruptive.I guess their are putting all their eggs in the basquet for Haynesworth and expect Cunningham to put pressure.:confused:

No position is a safe bet at 35 or 36. And that what you're looking at with Osi. He's already a one dimensional pass rusher, what do you think he'll be in 3 or 4 years?

No position is a safe bet at 35 or 36. And that what you're looking at with Osi. He's already a one dimensional pass rusher, what do you think he'll be in 3 or 4 years?

At this point, I'd take a one dimensional pass rusher, we've gone this long with zero dimensional pass rush.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back