PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make your 'one' pick at 22 now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me here but what would Odrick give us that Alex Carrington wouldn't? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd just like to know.

Apparently Carrington traumatized the O-line at the senior bowl and would also be a 2nd round pick as opposed to a 1st. Carrington is the same height but 20lbs lighter, and it doesn't look like 20lbs of muscle.

If Odrick would be sufficient why not just trade down and grab a guy that would be just as good if not better for less expense?

If the Patriots stay at 22....

Jared Odrick.

1. First round value.

2. Fills a need.

3. Fits the system.

4. High character player.

BUT...

.... like last year when Oher was sitting in the Patriot's spot for the taking, they will have another offensive tackle like Trent Williams or Anthony Davis (maybe even Odrick or Graham) and will decide to trade back with another team at the top of the second round.

See these scenarios....

A.) The Lions take Suh, but still need an left tackle. The Packer select after the Patriots and are sure to take the best left tackle on the board and the Cowboys and Colts are candidates to take the top talent along the offensive line prior to the Lions pick. Do the Lions hope that a tackle falls to them or get aggressive and move up?

B.) the Ravens, our first round trading partner, see a need to replace Edwards and a guy like Kindle et al is at 22.... do the Pats move down with Odrick on the board?

The OP said to pick one guy, I'd have to say Odrick. Comparing this year to last, obviously we "found" Vollmer under the radar and "overdrafted" him in the 2nd which made Oher expendable. It is far easier to find effective OL later in the draft than DL....they are most always projects. With Green gone it has to be the most obvious hole and Odrick has value at this spot. I think if he is gone by 22 THEN we start looking to trade back...most every other position there is closely contested.

The OP said to pick one guy, I'd have to say Odrick. Comparing this year to last, obviously we "found" Vollmer under the radar and "overdrafted" him in the 2nd which made Oher expendable. It is far easier to find effective OL later in the draft than DL....they are most always projects. With Green gone it has to be the most obvious hole and Odrick has value at this spot. I think if he is gone by 22 THEN we start looking to trade back...most every other position there is closely contested.

I think we took Vollmer because he played in a zone blocking scheme at Houston and excelled at it.

I think we passed on Oher because he had no experience in a zone blocking scheme.

Connor Barwin... oh wait, wrong year...

First rounder is to help for 1st and 2nd downs but also on 3rd. It is why I dont think we will see an OLB drafted by BB at 22. Odrick seems indeed a good idea. But I think BB binky will prevail: Jermaine Gresham, TE.

Can I say Ndamakong Suh? Russell Okung? Trent Williams? Derrick Morgan?

Who's available?

Forgive me here but what would Odrick give us that Alex Carrington wouldn't? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd just like to know.

Apparently Carrington traumatized the O-line at the senior bowl and would also be a 2nd round pick as opposed to a 1st. Carrington is the same height but 20lbs lighter, and it doesn't look like 20lbs of muscle.

If Odrick would be sufficient why not just trade down and grab a guy that would be just as good if not better for less expense?
Odrick was just as strong at the Senior Bowl. For his career he has 14.5 sacks and 5 PD (vs. 10 sacks and 2 PD for Carrington) while playing at a much higher level. That's just a quick look at the statistical difference between the two which highlights why Odrick is rated higher. If BB feels a DE is a critical draft day target, Odrick projects as the better option to produce at a higher level. Carrington makes a nice fall-back option if Odrick is gone.

Can I say Ndamakong Suh? Russell Okung? Trent Williams? Derrick Morgan?

Who's available?
Well if were going to go that route..Suh.

I would get Sergio Kindle without a doubt, i think that we need that QB pressure in our defense, last season that was non existence.

Dez Bryant

If the Patriots stay at 22....

Jared Odrick.

1. First round value.

2. Fills a need.

3. Fits the system.

4. High character player.

BUT...

but But BUT he is from Freaking Penn ;) Makes me nervous.

If the Patriots do take him, I trust that this is not a panic pick like Ron "The Blob" Brace. And I trust that he is the best guy on their board in the positions of need (DE, LB, TE, WR, CB), not a reach to try to fill the Seymore Gap.

Last edited:
my favorite. player in this whole draft is Sergio Kindle, but i still think. that Jared Odrick, has to be the pick at #22 the pats can not be a top defense with mike wright, as the starter.

my favorite. player in this whole draft is Sergio Kindle, but i still think. that Jared Odrick, has to be the pick at #22 the pats can not be a top defense with mike wright, as the starter.
There's other 3-4 DEs in this draft besides Jared Odrick. Carrington and Wooten arguably have more potential than him.

If BB wants a developmental project in the first round, then by all means, take Odrick :rolleyes:--he will get absolutlely manhandled in year one, and could be as bad a pick as Brace was. I don't see it unless Belichick has been on vacation all winter and has ceased caring about putting together a Super Bowl contender.

If Kindle is there you have to take him: major disruptive force off the edge; no brainer.

I might trade up for Spiller too.

Jared Odrick. An improved DL will make it easier on the second round OLB pick. I also love Mike Wright as a backup, but agree that he shouldn't be a starter.

If BB wants a developmental project in the first round, then by all means, take Odrick :rolleyes:--he will get absolutlely manhandled in year one, and could be as bad a pick as Brace was. I don't see it unless Belichick has been on vacation all winter and has ceased caring about putting together a Super Bowl contender.

If Kindle is there you have to take him: major disruptive force off the edge; no brainer.

I might trade up for Spiller too.

Kindle's 10x the developmental project that Odrick is. Opposing teams will run at Kindle all day.

I'm a novice at this football stuff but I believe the Pats trade down to top of second grab a third and go from there. I think they will target the Seymour replacement next year with the Raiders pick. Someone that will demand double teams. Isn't that what this line needs to make the 34 work best? Can you get a 5 technique stud at 22?(pretty sure I got that technique thing right)

Maybe someone will fall that they can't resist. Man this is so confusing but I love it.

Gresham is the pick:)

That would seem to be the norm in recent seasons. I'd hate to have a guy so talented overshadowed by knee issues at pick 22 myself.

Odrick has got to be the most boring pick in this draft {to me}because of the overwhelming consensus that he will be pick 22. Reminds me of the year we took Ty Warren. I was so mad we didn't get Robertson and felt Warren was a 2nd rate dt behind him. I felt the same regarding Seymour and was a tad upset that Cleveland picked up Gerard Warren. Things seem to work out well for the Pat's and defensive lineman.Odrick is a fine pick to me when it is all said and done considering NE's recent history. {If the Pats go that way}

Personally I'd like to see a flashy pass rusher that suprises everyone in his first year. Someone who right away makes a big splash in rookie camp all the way through training camp who keeps everyone excited and talking. Someone who requires double teams and loosens up other key positions on the front. Hopefully BB see's someone like that in this draft and picks him and it suprises us all when he is dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call