PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make your 'one' pick at 22 now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My records indicate one Carl Nesmith, safety out of Kansas...worse than I thought....4.93 forty. Caught 2 out of 40, not 50.

Hey hey I'm a monkee! They say I'm fooling around.
But I'm too busy dropping balls and letting everybody down.

Hey hey I'm a monkee! They say I'm fooling around.
But I'm too busy dropping balls and letting everybody down.

He's just trying to be friendly,
Come & watch him try to play...

As for my pick at 22, I present to you:

C/G Maurkice Pouncey.

We might even be able to execute a slight trade-down (w/ Arizona?) to recoup the 3rd-rounder foolishly thrown away for Burgess, and still get Pouncey in the 26-28 range.

If Alex Carrington impresses at his Pro Day on April 6th, then he can be our DE of the Future.

But there is no other Center as stout, strong at the POA, and sufficiently athletic as Pouncey. He can also play all 3 interior positions at a high level.

Brady needs protection from bull-rushes up the middle, as well as from the edges. Koppen can no longer consistently provide that. Pouncey can, for the next half-decade, at least (i.e., the rest of Brady's career).

There will still be quality WRs & Pass-Rushers avail. during the 2nd round.

He's just trying to be friendly,
Come & watch him try to play...

As for my pick at 22, I present to you:

C/G Maurkice Pouncey.

We might even be able to execute a slight trade-down (w/ Arizona?) to recoup the 3rd-rounder foolishly thrown away for Burgess, and still get Pouncey in the 26-28 range.

If Alex Carrington impresses at his Pro Day on April 6th, then he can be our DE of the Future.

But there is no other Center as stout, strong at the POA, and sufficiently athletic as Pouncey. He can also play all 3 interior positions at a high level.

Brady needs protection from bull-rushes up the middle, as well as from the edges. Koppen can no longer consistently provide that. Pouncey can, for the next half-decade, at least (i.e., the rest of Brady's career).

There will still be quality WRs & Pass-Rushers avail. during the 2nd round.

I'd like the Pouncey pick too, I'm sure he's up there on their radar.

Wow...I'm not a Cody hater, but I really think you're undervaluing the athleticism and explosiveness that make Ngata more versatile (and that made him a high draft pick.) Ngata's measurables were outstanding:

6'4.1" 338 5.13/2.96/1.73 37 31.5 09'02" 4.69 7.97

Cody's are flat-out disturbing:

6'3.5" 349 5.71/3.23/1.90 22 20.5 07'06" 5.03 8.19

I've had this post in the back of my mind, lately, and I've decided that Linval Joseph is the only player I've seen who comes even close to replicating these numbers. Check out his pro day, which was pretty dominant:

6'4.5" 319 4.93 39 31.5" 08'06" 4.52 7.62

Big improvement over the combine. He lost ten pounds and increased his explosion and agility numbers considerably. I know he's a good 20 pounds lighter than Ngata or Cody, but he's potentially a better 34 DE than either, though with less versatility to play the nose, perhaps. Intriguing, for sure.

Assuming we don't trade down-which I think is highly likely-let's use a little process of elimination, using some of the prospects suggested by previous posters.

Graham, Hughes, Misi, Worlids, etc
Don't fit the prototype, couldn't set the edge in our scheme. Graham especially has gotten overrated. WE ARE NOT PICKING UNDERSIZED OLBs. GET OVER IT. Just accept it now so you're not dissapointed.
Dez Bryant
Kraft, BB, Caserio, and Reese all have spoken too much about character this offseason. Reese said at the Draft Forum that they weren't picking guys "who forget their shoes".
Gresham/Gronkowski
Too much injury risk for guys with low positional value. Plus, there's depth at this position.
Ricky Sapp
I like him, I think they like him, but he can be had in the 2nd because of knee scares.
CJ Spiller
Is there really that big of a difference between him and the other multi-dimensional-back, Jahvid Best, who could be had in rd. 2?
Jared Odrick
I like him and he fits. But like with Spiller, is there that big of a difference between Odrick and Carrington?
Demaryius Thomas
Probably gone, and too raw. Pats have always preferred WRs with more suddeness.
Which leaves us with...
Everson Griffen, DE/OLB, USC: Fits the prototype, has the power, speed, and pass rush moves. Has overcome maturity issues of sophomore year.
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas Fits the prototype, basically already played the position, Will Muschamp guy, Bruschi likes him. Is more of a blitzer than a pass rusher though.
Maurkice Pouncey
Could play C/G right away. Safest pick in draft. From a feeder program.

Assuming we don't trade down-which I think is highly likely-let's use a little process of elimination, using some of the prospects suggested by previous posters.

Don't fit the prototype, couldn't set the edge in our scheme. Graham especially has gotten overrated. WE ARE NOT PICKING UNDERSIZED OLBs. GET OVER IT. Just accept it now so you're not dissapointed.
Dez Bryant
Kraft, BB, Caserio, and Reese all have spoken too much about character this offseason. Reese said at the Draft Forum that they weren't picking guys "who forget their shoes".
Gresham/Gronkowski
Too much injury risk for guys with low positional value. Plus, there's depth at this position.
Ricky Sapp
I like him, I think they like him, but he can be had in the 2nd because of knee scares.
CJ Spiller
Is there really that big of a difference between him and the other multi-dimensional-back, Jahvid Best, who could be had in rd. 2?
Jared Odrick
I like him and he fits. But like with Spiller, is there that big of a difference between Odrick and Carrington?
Demaryius Thomas
Probably gone, and too raw. Pats have always preferred WRs with more suddeness.
Which leaves us with...
Everson Griffen, DE/OLB, USC: Fits the prototype, has the power, speed, and pass rush moves. Has overcome maturity issues of sophomore year.
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas Fits the prototype, basically already played the position, Will Muschamp guy, Bruschi likes him. Is more of a blitzer than a pass rusher though.
Maurkice Pouncey
Could play C/G right away. Safest pick in draft. From a feeder program.

I would be surprised if Griffen is drafted in round 1...Looks like a 33-45 pick to me - We could pick him up at 44

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Griffen is drafted in round 1...Looks like a 33-45 pick to me - We could pick him up at 44

That would be amazing! I think Griffen is the best scheme fit of all the OLB prospects, to be honest. Hardy would garner consideration if he were fully healthy, but his injuries drop him out of the first two days for me (though he may be my favorite pure pass-rusher in the draft). From everything I've read, Griffen sounds like a young guy who finally started to realize the amount of work necessary to succeed in football. He got a new position coach who was pretty strict with him and helped him turn things around, both on and off the field. The 2008 benching in favor of Matthews was the best thing to happen to him. Sure turned out well for Matthews, too!

Anyway, back to the football: Griffen is an excellent run-stopper, is flat-out faster than any DE/OLB hybrid in the draft except for Worilds (who's several inches shorter and twenty-some pounds lighter), and has experience playing standing up. He's extremely powerful and surprisingly sudden for a 270 pounder. He's more comfortable on the left side than the right, which is where we need someone. I've read interviews where he explains some of his coverage responsibilities, and he rattles off formations and scheme checks like nothing else. He seems to understand the game much better now, and his physical tools are off the charts. True, he's 3/8 short of the magical 6'4 mark, but I have a feeling that won't matter too much if the rest of the draft features 6'2 guys.

Whew! All that to say that I'd be happy with Griffen in the first, and ecstatic if we drafted him in the second. He's officially my number one OLB target.

My #22 pick would be to trade down into round two and pick up a third rounder

I'll take Tebow ... our local media needs the advertising revenue.:p:p:p

Odrick

For once lets have a good, safe, decent bet where we are supposed to pick and a guy who can play next year and make us better. If Spiiler is there its him ,else it's Odrick

2nd round then look WR, OLB and RB

That would be amazing! I think Griffen is the best scheme fit of all the OLB prospects, to be honest. Hardy would garner consideration if he were fully healthy, but his injuries drop him out of the first two days for me (though he may be my favorite pure pass-rusher in the draft). From everything I've read, Griffen sounds like a young guy who finally started to realize the amount of work necessary to succeed in football. He got a new position coach who was pretty strict with him and helped him turn things around, both on and off the field. The 2008 benching in favor of Matthews was the best thing to happen to him. Sure turned out well for Matthews, too!

Anyway, back to the football: Griffen is an excellent run-stopper, is flat-out faster than any DE/OLB hybrid in the draft except for Worilds (who's several inches shorter and twenty-some pounds lighter), and has experience playing standing up. He's extremely powerful and surprisingly sudden for a 270 pounder. He's more comfortable on the left side than the right, which is where we need someone. I've read interviews where he explains some of his coverage responsibilities, and he rattles off formations and scheme checks like nothing else. He seems to understand the game much better now, and his physical tools are off the charts. True, he's 3/8 short of the magical 6'4 mark, but I have a feeling that won't matter too much if the rest of the draft features 6'2 guys.

Whew! All that to say that I'd be happy with Griffen in the first, and ecstatic if we drafted him in the second. He's officially my number one OLB target.

Well said. In regards to him being "only" 6'3 and falling short of the BB prototype, the Patriots were interested in DE/OLB Jason Babin during the 2004 draft. Babin measured in at 6'3 260 lbs. and ran a 4.62. 260 lbs+ guys with long arms give 6'3 guys like Babin and Griffen a little leeway. Given that Griffen plays at 265-270, probably means he passes BB's muster. Griffen also has a deadly spin move.

Last edited:
Anyway, back to the football: Griffen is an excellent run-stopper, is flat-out faster than any DE/OLB hybrid in the draft except for Worilds (who's several inches shorter and twenty-some pounds lighter), and has experience playing standing up.

When you say 'faster', by what measurement?

The anger is strong in this one....

(I want Hughes!!)

"More of a blitzer than a pass-rusher".

Sergio Kindle IS Adalius Thomas.

Sergio Kindle.

Freack athlete, knows how to get to the quarterback, plays under pressure, played against the toughest competition in college.

AND TEDY LIKES HIM :D

doubt it will be an OLB. whoever BB thinks can play 3-4 DE will probably get drafted. maybe a trade down to pick up a third and draft Brian Price UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back