PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Patrick Chung and the Patriots Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see him as a starter

he has not developed beyond his rookie season, and at this point, there's nowhere for him to really go, but out the door.

the secondary is such a mess right now that the pats are going to have to go get some vets....the answer will not be in the draft.

they are also going to have to replace the coach. failing with this many 1st and 2nd round picks is pretty inexcusable

I don't think he will attract that much attention on the open market. If a team offers him a big contract, I would let him walk. I hope we sign a good veteran in FA and look for help in the draft.

If Chung continues to play like dung,I don't see any NFL team even looking his way for help next year,I think the Pats will re-sign him for 3 more years of mediocre play at safety.

Teams tend to pay attention to what the Pats dump out on the market and it seems the only teams that pick up our scraps were former employees of the Pats (KC,Den ect) or division rivals.

If the Pats say bye bye and he gets beat all year long,he could be unemployed.

Last edited:
If Chung continues to play like dung,I don't see any NFL team even looking his way for help next year,I think the Pats will re-sign him for 3 more years of mediocre play at safety.

Teams tend to pay attention to what the Pats dump out on the market and it seems the only teams that pick up our scraps were former employees of the Pats (KC,Den ect) or division rivals.

If the Pats say bye bye and he gets beat all year long,he could be unemployed.

There's no way he's unemployed after this year unless he implodes. There are teams that would love Chung as depth.

Last edited:
And 40 awareness points too slow in pass coverage.

I think Chung is another Sanders in the respect that it was hoped he could play well enough to be the brains of the operation. But he doesn't seem to have the capacity to lead that they anticipated and he's not playing well enough to sit on him any longer. He also left injured this week so we could be back to that again.

If Baltimore doesn't extend Reed he will be here on an overpay. Just not sure that is the smart move because he's less a field general in Baltimore than a virtuoso playmaker and if they feel the physical end is approaching they are likely on to something. Need to find another Rodney, only they sure don't grow on trees. He'd already lost a step when he landed here, but he had the instincts to account for that plus the capacity to lead both emotionally and from an x's and o's aspect of having seen it all and grasping how to deal with it based on the scheme Bill wanted to play and the roster he was able to continue to cobble together even after losing a talent like Law. Had he not blown out his ACL and a few other ligaments in 2005, things might have worked out differently in '05 or '06. Still came within a helmet in '07. Just ran out of time.

I think Chung is another Sanders in the respect that it was hoped he could play well enough to be the brains of the operation. But he doesn't seem to have the capacity to lead that they anticipated and he's not playing well enough to sit on him any longer. He also left injured this week so we could be back to that again.

If Baltimore doesn't extend Reed he will be here on an overpay. Just not sure that is the smart move because he's less a field general in Baltimore than a virtuoso playmaker and if they feel the physical end is approaching they are likely on to something. Need to find another Rodney, only they sure don't grow on trees. He'd already lost a step when he landed here, but he had the instincts to account for that plus the capacity to lead both emotionally and from an x's and o's aspect of having seen it all and grasping how to deal with it based on the scheme Bill wanted to play and the roster he was able to continue to cobble together even after losing a talent like Law. Had he not blown out his ACL and a few other ligaments in 2005, things might have worked out differently in '05 or '06. Still came within a helmet in '07. Just ran out of time.

Even at his age, Ed Reed would still be ten times better than anything we've had since Rodney.

they are also going to have to replace the coach. failing with this many 1st and 2nd round picks is pretty inexcusable

Yup, because Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Tavon Wilson, Nate Solder, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Spikes have been absolutely terrible for the Patriots.

You can make a pretty nasty secondary with Pats 1st and 2nd rounders recently

McCourty-Meriweather -Chung-RasI

You can swap RasI with Wilhite or whatever of those ones.

WR and CB S. We cant draft

Yup, because Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Tavon Wilson, Nate Solder, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Spikes have been absolutely terrible for the Patriots.

He meant the secondary coach.

This isn't magic.

It wasn't a failure of coaching that Myron Guyton couldn't get it done. It's not a failure of coaching that Tracy White is not an All-Pro. The linebacking corps was as much of a problem as the secondary until Spikes developed and Hightower was drafted.

This isn't magic.

It wasn't a failure of coaching that Myron Guyton couldn't get it done. It's not a failure of coaching that Tracy White is not an All-Pro. The linebacking corps was as much of a problem as the secondary until Spikes developed and Hightower was drafted.

In my opinion, the LB corps is still a problem in pass coverage--and a big one.

There's no way he's unemployed after this year unless he implodes. There are teams that would love Chung as depth.

Depending upon how the rest of the season plays out, he may actually be here as depth on a much cheaper deal than anyone had ever expected.

There seem to be a lot of people who are so sure that he'll instantly be a starter on another team that overpays, but I'm not so sure.

I meant overall, Supa. I'm sure you remember RayClay losing his mind daily about the linebackers.

I agree about the coverage issue, by the way. I still haven't heard a persuasive reason for this team going to the 4-3 with linebackers that are pretty clearly (IMO) better fits for the 3-4, and a NT like Vince.

Scratch Ryan Mundy off next year's wish list:

Ryan Mundy - Pittsburgh Steelers - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Steelers re-signed restricted free agent S Ryan Mundy to a one-year, $1.26 million contract. Mundy is a quality run-support safety and special teamer, but there is a noticeable drop-off in coverage whenever he's forced to make spot starts. He'll return as the Steelers' third safety behind Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu.

The New England Patriots linebackers are not the players on the field torched for 40+ yards touchdown passes.

The New England Patriots linebackers are not the players on the field torched for 40+ yards touchdown passes.

Of course they aren't, but the coverage aspect is extremely weak in regards to our LB's, and that is still a problem.

Run defense...hands down, they are talented in many ways. Pass defense, not even close.

I didn't realize that anyone actually thought we had decent coverage LB's.

I didn't realize Mundy was one anyone's wish list to be honest with you.

I unfortunately see him play every week, and I never once considered wanting him here. Then again, when the safeties we have are so damn poor, I can understand the desperation aspect.

I'm sure you'll want to know who I'd want in return, but I save the off-season talk for the off-season. There are plenty of bleak days in February, March, and April for FA and the draft discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back