PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Patrick Chung and the Patriots Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they aren't, but the coverage aspect is extremely weak in regards to our LB's, and that is still a problem.

Run defense...hands down, they are talented in many ways. Pass defense, not even close.

I didn't realize that anyone actually thought we had decent coverage LB's.
First things first, fix the problems in the defensive secondary especially with regards to the pass defense.

Of course they aren't, but the coverage aspect is extremely weak in regards to our LB's, and that is still a problem.

Run defense...hands down, they are talented in many ways. Pass defense, not even close.

I didn't realize that anyone actually thought we had decent coverage LB's.

One of the positive things I've heard this week.....

The Patriots switched to a 4-3 this year. I've been saying from the beginning that this group of LBs is better suited as 3-4 LBs because they're not the little cover guys you need for most 4-3 systems. Well, according to one of the radio guys, a part of the reason for the switch is that the Patriots didn't think Jones was ready to play standing up as a 3-4 OLB. Well, (and this is something I hadn't been paying attention to, to my shame) Jones has been getting in a bit more time standing up as the season has gone on.

This bodes well for a possible return to the 3-4 as the base next year, with it possibly getting worked in more and more over the course of this season.

Base defense trench warfare is going to be our forte no matter what, though I've always liked the 3-4 for the disguises and deception you can execute. To beat the dead horse around town, our front 7 isn't the problem either way. Though you can always get more pressure.

It is encouraging to hear Jones is coming along schematically because the raw play is obvious. Nink is still adjusting to the 4-3, and I think Cunningham is a DT in a LB's body. He has been solid, but he doesn't have the length to consistently give OT's trouble.

Ryan Bowen was not kind to Mr. Chung, thought Wilson looked pretty good, was fine with Dennard and offered a mixed review of McCourty in an article that seems to be in line with what a lot of us have been saying:

Bowen pans Patrick Chung's safety play

Last edited:
Quotes from the great one, oh how I miss this attitude.

"No one gave us any credit, no one gave us any type of respect"

"No one thought we could do it, they didn't give us a chance"

"No one gave us a chance"

"They didn't believe we could do it"

"They didn't believe but we believed...they said we couldn't do it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back