PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Look at our relationship with Green Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only the Packers had won one more playoff game in 2007...

Last edited:
The OP is dead on....sorry fan boys. I don't know how anyone can defend these whiffs in the 2nd round. Second rounders are supposed to end up in the starting lineup eventually, not get cut, benched, or jagged. Personnel bombed badly. They are so regimented in their type casting of WR and OLB that a whole world of talent gets passed by.
As far as Pees goes, he was ultraconservative. The question is/was...did the roster makeup force him to sit back, did BB direct this approach, or was it Pees. Clearly they were not on the same page. Considering the defensive roster is now loaded with #1 picks with more likely on the way, it is a good bet that personnel limited Pees during his time here.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the 31 other teams draft picks all turned out to be starters. Damn, we must be terrible to have the likes of Oakland and Buffalo doing a better job drafting than us.

I bet if you compare our "busts" to other teams....we would have the least without a doubt in my mind. We are set up for the future atm, how many other teams that were in the playoffs had a young team and **** load of picks in the draft? Not many, if any.

"Fan boys"? Wtf is this...Video games?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the 31 other teams draft picks all turned out to be starters. Damn, we must be terrible to have the likes of Oakland and Buffalo doing a better job drafting than us.

I bet if you compare our "busts" to other teams....we would have the least without a doubt in my mind. We are set up for the future atm, how many other teams that were in the playoffs had a young team and **** load of picks in the draft? Not many, if any.

"Fan boys"? Wtf is this...Video games?

Sorry you can't deal with the facts of the OP...
I'm grading the 3 Pats involved...
Jackson....F
Butler....D
Brace....C
I'm grading the Packers involved...
Jennings.....A
Mathews ......A

The OP lists players and how they came to be on each team...not draft histories of the world. I'm giving it up for the Pack. They definetly dominated these transactions.

As far as Pees and Capers....I don't care

Everything is fine , then.

Don't forget Vernon G the pass rushing demon! :rolleyes:

People who post threads bashing the Pats front office or BB for bad drafting, always have the benefit of hindsight. They will never tell you that in a particular draft, they had (blank) player (Vernon for instance) pegged as the Patriots next HOFer. They will key on a particular year or add up the players who did not pan out which results in thier conclusion.
They also give up on players way too early. Then, when that player starts to perform all is forgotten.
Hey bashers, look at the winning percentage of teams this last decade. Come back and tell me where the Patriots rank. I'm guessing that the front office/draft played a role in that %.

Even Godzilla thinks this is dumb......

Attachments

• facepalmGodzilla.jpg
    facepalmGodzilla.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 49
When I read the OP's post I was wondering why a three year old thread was resurrected til I looked at the date. So good point OP, the Pats arent perfect, they messed up part of a draft, your hindsight is 20-20, congratulations.
Why dont we look at what they've done the last two years and see what they do this upcoming year.
I thought they went 14-2 this year so maybe BB is on the right track and maybe we can win another super bowl before we all die.

Many ppl here wont admit it, but management in New England has been pretty bad in recent years.

-Patriots trade up and get the Packers pick. Patriots use it on WR Chad Jackson, a monumental BUST. Packers then selected star WR Greg Jennings. We traded up, they traded down. We end up with nothing, they end up with a superstar. Gotta love the hindsight

-Patriots have a wealth of draft picks and "own the draft". Instead of using 1 in the first round, we keep trading down over and over. We couldve had almost any player outside of the Top 10 that we wanted. We end up with Darius Butler (BUST) and Ron Brace (Barely sees the field). Meanwhile, Green Bay ended up with Pro Bowler Clay Mathews. Our 5 year search for a stud OLB is still going on...

Typical over-reactionist. Butler isn't a bust and Brace saw the field ALOT this year before he got injured.

BTW, why don't you expand on the trade and include everything that was a part of it.

Mike Reiss said:
The Patriots will trade #26 (1st Round) and #162 (5th Round) in exchange for Green Bay's #41 (2nd round), #73(3rd round) and #83 (3rd round)

The #Patriots will send their 1st of four 3rd round picks (73) to JAX in exchange for 2010 2nd rd pick and a 7th round pick this year (232)

So the Pats traded 26 (Mathews) and 162 (Jamon Meridith) to get Butler (41), Gronkowski (2010 2nd rounder), Tate (#82), and Edelman (#232).

It really helps to look at everything in it's entirety and not just cherry pick your information.

-Patriots have Dom Capers as Defensive assistant. He obviously wanted to be D-Coordinator but that spot was taken by Dean Pees. A couple years later, Pees is gone due to poor performance and Capers moved on to Green Bay where he turned their 20something ranked defense into the 2nd ranked defense in the NFL. This is poor management on BB's behalf. Why did it take him so long to realize that Dean Pees wasnt working and promote Capers?

First off, Capers was only here for ONE season. And he left before Pees did. Not multiple ones as you imply. Also, Pees is the one who chose to leave.

We couldve easily had Greg Jennings, Clay Mathews, and Dom Capers. Instead we ended up with Chad Jackson, Ron brace, Darius Butler, and BB over-extending himself as a coach.

Bad scouting/drafting, bad management, call it whatever you want. Green Bay is probably starting to look at New England, the same way we look at the Raiders.

Well, we've determined that you are seriously over-reacting and that you've chosen to cherry pick your information to jump to your conclusions. You've failed at showing that the Pats have been seriously taken advantage of by the Packers.

Jackson....F
Butler....D
Brace....C
Jennings.....A
Mathews ......A

Except that BRACE was not involved.

The trade ended up being Butler, Tate, Edelman, and Gronkowski. For Mathews and Meridith. Helps to have the right facts.

The OP lists players and how they came to be on each team...not draft histories of the world. I'm giving it up for the Pack. They definetly dominated these transactions.

The OP is clearly over-reactioned and blew things out of proportion. Not to mention that he had his facts wrong on the Mathews/Butler deal.

Hey! Look who's back!

Where was MrNathanDrake during the season?

At least Borg and Simkin were man enough to spread their doom and gloom during a 14-2 season. I still don't think they were proved right, but I do know I haven't seen Borg happier since the Ravens playoff loss.

This thread is:

captainpicardfullofwin.jpg

Last edited:
Jackson....F
Butler....D
Brace....C
Jennings.....A
Mathews ......A

Well, I like to judge the Pats management over the last few year based on the trade down the Pats did to get Devon McCourty. Since that was an A move, it is a clear indication that Belichick's personnel moves have been perfect over the last few years.

See! I can take one or two moves too and spin it to judge the entire management of this team over the last few years.

Sorry, but neither Jennings nor Matthews were slam dunks. Both Butler and Jackson were considered better picks at the team and were universally praised at the time. Part of drafting is luck because there is only so much you can learn about a player and his ability to play at the next level. For example, Brady was a very lucky pick. Maybe Butler and Jackson showed something that just didn't end up translating at the next level (although Butler has the chance to turn it around).

This is a truly terrible thread.

This is a truly terrible thread.

I find it quite illuminating. After a quick read of this thread, I have now identified several morons and can dismiss their postings going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back