PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lomardi says the Patriots have to franchise Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lomardi say the Patriots have to Franchise Cassel

Nothing brings juicier picks via trade than a starting quarterback. Franchise him then trade him. We might get two first rounders if he continues to play well for the rest of the season.

Nothing brings juicier picks via trade than a starting quarterback. Franchise him then trade him. We might get two first rounders if he continues to play well for the rest of the season.

BIG risk ... because if someone doesnt bite ... mind you if someone like Detriot wants a QB and would spend an early 1st rounder then who knows ... who in the next draft is better? Any stud QB's there?

It is refreshing to hear the Cassel love, but the franchise discussion overlooks the possibility that O'Connell will be ready to roll next year if Brady is not healthy. Belichick would not start a rookie, but at the franchise tag decision point he will have seen a preseason and have held the clipboard for a year. That alone may end the debate.

All these media pundits saying franchise Cassel were likely saying find a veteran backup two months ago. If you were inclined to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt in keeping Cassel as number 2 to Brady and not replacing him with a veteran this season, you may also want to consider the possibility that he was number 2 (not even that when other veterans were with the Pats prior to last year) for a reason in Belichick's eyes.

Cassel has done a great job, has been fun to watch as his mobility is a change-up from Brady's skill set, and I hope he profits off his success, but he has earned the right to start in the NFL and make his payday in guaranteed money from a long-term deal. I doubt Belichick wants to wait until the contracts expire on his present talent (even with the possibility of a salary cap free season), and I seriously doubt that any player other than Brady is valued at 12% of the salary cap by Belichick. That would be two players on a 53-man roster eating up almost 1/4th of the salary cap. Unless you are bringing in a majority of the team at minimums (looking at the defensive line only, that won't be the case), that is a big chunk of change gone with 51 other players to pay.

It's debateable whether or not he's playing better than Brady did at this juncture in his STARTING career but Tom didn't have as many years in the system. One thing seems sure, he's as good or better than Palmer and Leinhart so they should find a willing team to trade if they tag him.

I wouldn't put Matt Cassel and Carson Palmer in the same sentence...Carson Palmer wouldn't over throw Moss as many times as Cassel has. Palmer is a Stud! Now Matt Leinhart now were talking. Cassel have come far seing how he had no significant playing time since high school...but let us not put him in Canton yet.:D

Cassel > Tony Romo

and look how easily Derek Anderson got a big contract. NFL teams will and have thrown big money around at the slightest chance that they could have a franchise QB.

Vikings, 49ers, Lions, maybe even Seahawks... they all have to be looking at Cassel.

The fact that he can run the ball for 50yrds a game is impressive too. Maybe the Titans will take a look at him considering Collins age and VY mental health issues.

If Brady actually has a bad recovery and is out for the year, then maybe you do pay Cassell franchise money for one year, expecting him to walk afterwards. Even then, grooming the next backup may seem appealing instead.

Anything else, and you're risking many millions of cap dollars in the hope of getting a pick.

This all only makes sense if one believes that Cassell really is worth being paid like one of the top QBs in the league. I haven't seen that case proved yet ...

they have to franchise him. how can you let a guy like this go without getting anything. he is better than at least 5 QBs in the league, maybe more than 10. even if you negotiate to only get a 2nd or 2 2nd round picks. he has so much value

Im kinda torn when it comes to placing the franchise tag on him. If Brady isnt expected to be ready for preseason then Cassel has to be franchised. If Bradys ready to go all out then im not sure about franchiseing Cassel, I would hate to see him go for nothing, but I dont know about paying him the 14mil when we have to think about players like Wilfork, Mankins, and Seymour coming up.

Let me play devil's advocate. Belichick has been known to ignore the
wishes of the fans. Suppose he knows that Cassel is the real thing.
What would the chances be that he might keep Cassel and make a
sweetheart deal for Brady? Three #1 choices and one #2 choice
from San Francisco like Chuck Fairbanks did in 1976. These
choices brought the Pats Pete Brock, Tim Fox, Ray Clayborn,
and Horace Ivory. Excuse me while I duck the mud pies.

Another variation on my theme is what are Brady's intentions
when his contract runs out after 2010? Does he intends to retire
or would he like to finish out his career on the West Coast? If he
wanted to do the latter, a trade could be arranged.

Cassel might agree to back up Brady for a couple of years (like
Steve Young) if he was the heir apparent.

Last edited:

Looking to 2009, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins and plenty of others will be looking at final years of deals. While there may be some salary cap room, would you dump the reserve money to Cassel rather than signing some of the acknowledged great players on the roster to long-term deals?

Cassel will not replace Brady unless Brady shows he cannot recover from this surgery. Thus, you would be rolling the dice with the future of the team on the chance (1) another team is sufficiently interested to trade for him knowing his price just went way up from his present contract while at the same time indicating willingness to part with high draft picks or players or (2) that Brady does not return healthy and Cassel is immediately needed.

The effect of two players sitting on the roster chewing up that much cap space has huge implications on the ability of the Pats to sign or resign talent presently on the team or from free agency.

IF 2010 is an uncapped year (looking likely) we can keep all of our own talent we choose (most likely being a top team will limit FA"s we can sign) - so, franchise MC next year and let it all play out.

Cassel might agree to back up Brady for a couple of years (like Steve Young) if he was the heir apparent.

Steve Young hated backing up Montana. He wanted to play. Back then there was no free agency and no choice.

Cassel is going to want to be paid, he's going to want to be the starting QB, and he's going to want to be the one deciding where.

The thoughts of keeping him as the heir apparent or asking him to just sit tight while the Pats try to trade him are nice but pretty unrealistic. Everyone should expect Cassel and his agent to agressively pursue his own interests.

Why would any team want to trade for a QB thats has that high of a salary if hes franchised. Especially one with only one year under his belt, I know hes playing well but you cant franchise him and expect someone to give up picks for the right to pay a one year QB that kind of money, and if no one trades for him we have two QB's taking up too much cap space and inhibits us from rounding out the team and providing depth.
Aint gonna happen, say thank you Matt for an exciting year and good luck with your future.

Why would any team want to trade for a QB thats has that high of a salary if hes franchised. Especially one with only one year under his belt, I know hes playing well but you cant franchise him and expect someone to give up picks for the right to pay a one year QB that kind of money
They can reach a long term agreement for less per year. Why would they ? Have you seen some of the QB this year and the monumental busts that half the top ten pick QB are ?

Why would any team want to trade for a QB thats has that high of a salary if hes franchised. Especially one with only one year under his belt, I know hes playing well but you cant franchise him and expect someone to give up picks for the right to pay a one year QB that kind of money, and if no one trades for him we have two QB's taking up too much cap space and inhibits us from rounding out the team and providing depth.
Aint gonna happen, say thank you Matt for an exciting year and good luck with your future.

Have you ever heard of contract renogotiation? The trade would be made with the understanding that his new team would negotiate a long term deal for Cassel.

umm...ppl, have u missed what a crapshoot QB's are in the NFL?

u can get the 1st overall pick, and go nowhere, and have it as a waste...
u can build a whole team, and be lacking the most important piece..

teams are just dying to get a QB that can play the game...and are willng to dole out good money for ANY indication that a QB may be their future and win them games...and cassel has proven far more then an indication

They can reach a long term agreement for less per year. Why would they ? Have you seen some of the QB this year and the monumental busts that half the top ten pick QB are

I understand all that and Im not sure of the mechanics, I hope you guys are right, Id love to get some compensation for him, just hope it doesnt backfire and we get stuck with 15 mill sitting on the bench.

Last edited:

not sure if anyone explained this but if the pats tag him he doesn't get the money until he signs the tender, so the pats could legitimately shop him around and trade him in a sign and trade deal. pats get draft picks, cassel gets his money.

you can't let this guy walk away for nothing. if schaub gets a couple draft picks then cassel should get just as much.

the pick that you get from him could be our new cornerback or new passrusher or new o-line.

not sure if anyone explained this but if the pats tag him he doesn't get the money until he signs the tender, so the pats could legitimately shop him around and trade him in a sign and trade deal. pats get draft picks, cassel gets his money.

you can't let this guy walk away for nothing. if schaub gets a couple draft picks then cassel should get just as much.

the pick that you get from him could be our new cornerback or new passrusher or new o-line.

If we could get a nice pick or two for Cassel that would be awesome. We have our own 1st rounder, plus ours and SD's 2nd rounder.

If we could get a nice pick or two for Cassel that would be awesome. We have our own 1st rounder, plus ours and SD's 2nd rounder.
And almost certainly a #3 comp pick for Samuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back