PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lomardi says the Patriots have to franchise Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lomardi say the Patriots have to Franchise Cassel

Ahem...what a difference a couple of weeks makes - I could hardly sell this rationale to save my soul two weeks ago.

Bill is all about value and risk vs. reward. He has long wanted to be able to develop QB's as value added trading chips as some past regimes he has admiration for did. They represent coaching sweat equity only. He's finally got his shot only this one is a UFA after the season. Still, if he's worth a high two and/or more (maybe something else conditional on his performance in 2009) I think he goes for it.

Matt is a good kid and a smart kid. He knows what he owes this organization and he knows what their opinion of him is worth. He's not going to F with them if they are trying to trade him to someone willing to pay a premium for him because he knows the interest the whole process generates will lead to potentially a better deal than he gets off the street. If he continues to perform well he also knows he will see more guaranteed money in a long term deal - not to mention being a starter on his own team - than he will from pre-emptively signing a franchise tag to return to being be Brady's emergency backup. He also knows after another year of that his value and prospects as a starter in the what have you done lately league will be substantially lower.

But you do not tag him to retain him. Brady will be back and if not O'Connell is up next...
Buy low, sell high - a lesson RAC and Phil Savage have learned the hard way.

Ahem...what a difference a couple of weeks makes - I could hardly sell this rationale to save my soul two weeks ago.

Bill is all about value and risk vs. reward. He has long wanted to be able to develop QB's as value added trading chips as some past regimes he has admiration for did. They represent coaching sweat equity only. He's finally got his shot only this one is a UFA after the season. Still, if he's worth a high two and/or more (maybe something else conditional on his performance in 2009) I think he goes for it.

Matt is a good kid and a smart kid. He knows what he owes this organization and he knows what their opinion of him is worth. He's not going to F with them if they are trying to trade him to someone willing to pay a premium for him because he knows the interest the whole process generates will lead to potentially a better deal than he gets off the street. If he continues to perform well he also knows he will see more guaranteed money in a long term deal - not to mention being a starter on his own team - than he will from pre-emptively signing a franchise tag to return to being be Brady's emergency backup. He also knows after another year of that his value and prospects as a starter in the what have you done lately league will be substantially lower.

But you do not tag him to retain him. Brady will be back and if not O'Connell is up next...
Buy low, sell high - a lesson RAC and Phil Savage have learned the hard way.

personally I think you do tag him. He's worth at least a second. You just don't let vaue walk. we already did it with asante and got nothing in return immediately. i am not sure the compensation for a transition tag or if it still exists. it's a risk but you cna't let him go for nothing

personally I think you do tag him. He's worth at least a second. You just don't let vaue walk. we already did it with asante and got nothing in return immediately. i am not sure the compensation for a transition tag or if it still exists. it's a risk but you cna't let him go for nothing

There is no comp for the transition tag - just the opportunity to match any offer. It's a joke though and no one will use it any more because of the Minnesota/Seattle pissing match of poison pills virtually eliminating any shot at matching an offer.

I said Asante would only be tagged for trade. I was wrong. But I bet in hindsight, especially watching coaches film of XLII Bill wishes that was why he tagged him...because in doing so you might have replaced him and then some. Matt could yet provide the means to replace Asante if not more...

not sure if anyone explained this but if the pats tag him he doesn't get the money until he signs the tender, so the pats could legitimately shop him around and trade him in a sign and trade deal. pats get draft picks, cassel gets his money.

you can't let this guy walk away for nothing. if schaub gets a couple draft picks then cassel should get just as much.

the pick that you get from him could be our new cornerback or new passrusher or new o-line.

Thanks for the explanation, I wasnt sure how it worked, it sounds like it may hurt his trade value a bit but we would get something for him. Im sure BB & Pioli will have it figured out.

Thanks for the explanation, I wasnt sure how it worked, it sounds like it may hurt his trade value a bit but we would get something for him. Im sure BB & Pioli will have it figured out.
I doubt it will hurt his trade value at all, Matt is building his own value with each game. Think about the QB market and realize this draft has little to offer teams with no true NFL QB.

I doubt it will hurt his trade value at all, Matt is building his own value with each game. Think about the QB market and realize this draft has little to offer teams with no true NFL QB.

Cassel's biggest problem, be it for trade or free agency, is that most teams already have their quarterbacks and are either happy with them or too invested in them to make the move.

Jets/Bills/Dolphins - Unless Favre retires, there's no room at the inn

Steelers/Browns/Ravens/Bengals - No room at the inn

Titans/Colts/Jags/Texans - Unless Young quits or the Texans dump Schaub, not here

Chargers/Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders - With Thigpen in the fold, there's no team here

Cowboys/Giants/Eagles/Redskins - No room at the inn

Vikings/Bears/Packers/Lions - Lions, Vikings possibilities, Bears longshots

Panthers/Falcons/Bucs/Saints - Panthers & Bucs have older QBs, but would they do it?

Cardinals/Seahawks/Rams/49ers - 49ers, Rams possibly, 'Hawks longshots

That means that only a maximum of 11 teams would be in the pool, but a much more realistic number of really anxious seekers is just 4, with the 4 being the Lions, Vikings, 49ers and Rams. Of course, surprises happen, but that's how it looks to me right now.

Cassel's biggest problem, be it for trade or free agency, is that most teams already have their quarterbacks and are either happy with them or too invested in them to make the move.

Titans/Colts/Jags/Texans - Unless Young quits or the Texans dump Schaub, not here

Chargers/Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders - With Thigpen in the fold, there's no team here

Panthers/Falcons/Bucs/Saints - Panthers & Bucs have older QBs, but would they do it?

That means that only a maximum of 11 teams would be in the pool, but a much more realistic number of really anxious seekers is just 4, with the 4 being the Lions, Vikings, 49ers and Rams. Of course, surprises happen, but that's how it looks to me right now.

Gruden loves his qb's, but I dont think he'd be willing to give up much for Cassel, he usually drafts qb's towards the later rounds of the draft hoping to hit the jackpot on one. But you never know...

---
I did that exercise a couple weeks back, I believe the Bucs would be interested, but that assumes Gruden still has a job and is willing to outbid Minnesota or Detroit - but you have to believe Mattyice would fit in very well with Gruden's offense and has the willingness to take coaching that a Gruden would love. As long as there are two teams shopping, there's a market - and I'd be happy with a 3rd for that 7th round prodigy. I didn't really consider the Panthers, they've been shopping for back-ups a lot lately, interesting....

I did that exercise a couple weeks back, I believe the Bucs would be interested, but that assumes Gruden still has a job and is willing to outbid Minnesota or Detroit - but you have to believe Mattyice would fit in very well with Gruden's offense and has the willingness to take coaching that a Gruden would love. As long as there are two teams shopping, there's a market - and I'd be happy with a 3rd for that 7th round prodigy. I didn't really consider the Panthers, they've been shopping for back-ups a lot lately, interesting....

I think his best fit would be with the Vikings, but not under Childress. I despise Chidress' approach to offense, and I think he'd be a lousy coach for Cassel to be stuck under.

I think his best fit would be with the Vikings, but not under Childress. I despise Chidress' approach to offense, and I think he'd be a lousy coach for Cassel to be stuck under.
I haven't watched the Vikings much but I think Cassel would fit well in the offense the Eagles ran under Childress. His mobility, short pass accuracy and ability to throw on the run would run that version of the west coast offense well.

Cassel has has taken 10 games worth of hits in the last 8 yrs. His value is high when you consider this.

I haven't watched the Vikings much but I think Cassel would fit well in the offense the Eagles ran under Childress. His mobility, short pass accuracy and ability to throw on the run would run that version of the west coast offense well.

I'm thinking he could do well out in the NFC west somewhere - St Louis, San Fran, and Seatttle need starting QB's. I would like to see him traded for a second or third rounder maybe.

Childress is on my LOL list next to Herm, although using Frerotte seems to have given the team a little spark - which just goes to show why he's paired with Herm in my mind.

Wherever Mattyice goes I wish him well until he plays the Pats...as long as he's not in the AFCE.

On a slightly related note to the Childress bashing: I can't get it out of my head that the Iggles may show some interest in Matt...silly me I guess.

If they slap the franchise tag on Cassel, they won't agree to anything less than two firsts within the division.

Agreed.

Both of those are at least distinct possibilities.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed. Minnesota has zero good QBs, and the Lions don't even have that. Personally, though, I'd rather see him end up in Minnesota than the black hole that is Detroit.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Warner has said he's given serious thought to hanging 'em up after the season is over. . . . And wouldn't it be funny if Leinart found himself Cassel's backup? :D

As BOR said, though, it only takes two for a bidding war. ;)
. . . . . . . . .

On a slightly related note to the Childress bashing: I can't get it out of my head that the Iggles may show some interest in Matt...silly me I guess.

You know, it's at least possible, albeit unlikely. Although we can be pretty darn sure that Cassel wouldn't be so winded that he couldn't get a play off before the two-minute warning. :rofl:

You know, it's at least possible, albeit unlikely. Although we can be pretty darn sure that Cassel wouldn't be so winded that he couldn't get a play off before the two-minute warning. :rofl:
That's why I keep coming back to them and scratching my chin in bemusement. McNabb has the tools, but I believe he's another Favrequad with the mental gaps that engage during crunch time. I have no idea if Kobb or whomever is the answer behind him, but I can see them selling McNabb to Detroit (the idiots left Millen's croneys running the show and they'll buy a name to save their phoney bologna jobs) or to Minnesota and taking a flyer on Cassel v. Kobb.

New England - Pro Football Weekly

"Given Kurt Warner’s age, the word we’re hearing from around the league is that Cassel has played his way into what will likely be the most lucrative QB contract in free agency."

Sounds Franchise and Tradeable to me.

Tag him, trade him.

Now i'm going to spend the rest of my night at work (where I do nothing) and see what defensive players we want to draft :D

There are teams out there that will pay top dollar for Cassel. Mark my words. Matt Shaub ring a bell? Cassel has experience and right now has shown he can play in this league. Why risk 1st round money on a non proven player ala Matt Lienert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back