PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lomardi says the Patriots have to franchise Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lomardi say the Patriots have to Franchise Cassel

It's the same thing that keeps almost all players, like Asante Samuel, from signing the franchise tag... they risk getting hurt before getting any long term security. (Of course for me, $14M would be plenty of long term security, but these guys live in a different world.)

14.5 million is about an 8-10 year contract for Cassel, not including the interest he gets for receiving his whole 8 year contract up front.

Good deal for him.

14.5 million is about an 8-10 year contract for Cassel, not including the interest he gets for receiving his whole 8 year contract up front.

Good deal for him.
That depends. If his play continues improve (or even be at the level he reached over the past 2-3 weeks) I would think he would get offers at the middle of the range of NFL starting QB's. I don't know what that amount is but I would think it would be at least in the $5-6M/year range, which means he would probably get offers for 5 years/$25M with $12M or so up front.

Another point which may or may not already have been mentioned: if no one bites, can't the team just retract the tag up until some date - I think it is 7/15?

Another point which may or may not already have been mentioned: if no one bites, can't the team just retract the tag up until some date - I think it is 7/15?
Retracting the tag only works if the player hasn't signed it.

Retracting the tag only works if the player hasn't signed it.

But can you retract as he's signing it.

Pats: "Okay, okay, you called our bluff!"

And then lock him in a room until you work out a trade.

That depends. If his play continues improve (or even be at the level he reached over the past 2-3 weeks) I would think he would get offers at the middle of the range of NFL starting QB's. I don't know what that amount is but I would think it would be at least in the $5-6M/year range, which means he would probably get offers for 5 years/$25M with $12M or so up front.

Well, if his play continues to improve at the rate it has since training camp we should lock him up long term for 14 million per year because he will be on the way to the greatest career any QB has ever had.

Rather than projecting, maybe we should offer him a contract based on what he is, a guy who hadn't shown the ability to be a reliable backup as of a few weeks ago, who has settled down to play a few good games and still has a lot to work on.

who has settled down to play a few good games and still has a lot to work on.
A few ? To my eyes he's played well in 8 of his 10 games. And even the bad ones (Miami, SD) were just mediocre nothing games, not Cassel disasters.

A few ? To my eyes he's played well in 8 of his 10 games. And even the bad ones (Miami, SD) were just mediocre nothing games, not Cassel disasters.

Look, I don't want to disturb your belief system. I don't know how many backup quarterbacks I've seen that had a few good games.

Some of those games, most of Cassell's passes were 5-10 yards to Welker. Has he utilized his wide receivers at all yet?

I'm happy with his progress. You see what you want to, fine with me.

That's not the way it works. The patriots tender him. He tells the agent when to send a signed copy back to the patriots. Cassel has all the cards, as long as he is willing to play for one year for $14M. However, I would expect that he would be willing to have his agent make work with teams to work up and trade and re-sign deal.

But can you retract as he's signing it.

Pats: "Okay, okay, you called our bluff!"

And then lock him in a room until you work out a trade.

IF the Pats franchise Cassel it will be with Matt & his agent's tacit understanding about previously behind the scenes discussed trade prospects. The Pats will NOT execute a hostile franchise, one that Matt could simply sign for $14M and wait another year for FA, meanwhile with the Pats paralyzed in FA and unable to extend their half dozen starting vets a year early. Nothing prevents a proactive Pats management from pre-calling GMs and testing the waters prior to the deadline. Should a couple reasonable offers emerge, there could be a temporary franchise tag, soon made moot by a mutually agreed trade. In this scenario do not expect multiple high draft picks but a modest return. Let's hope that Belioli improves over their recent poor 2nd round pick performance.

IF the Pats franchise Cassel it will be with Matt & his agent's tacit understanding about previously behind the scenes discussed trade prospects. The Pats will NOT execute a hostile franchise, one that Matt could simply sign for $14M and wait another year for FA, meanwhile with the Pats paralyzed in FA and unable to extend their half dozen starting vets a year early. Nothing prevents a proactive Pats management from pre-calling GMs and testing the waters prior to the deadline. Should a couple reasonable offers emerge, there could be a temporary franchise tag, soon made moot by a mutually agreed trade. In this scenario do not expect multiple high draft picks but a modest return. Let's hope that Belioli improves over their recent poor 2nd round pick performance.
Agree with everything. I'm not expecting a bounty but if Cassel countinues to play like this and improve a little throwing downfield then a #2 or, at minimum, a #3 is fully reasonable. In no way, shape or form am I expecting two #1s or the equivalent.

Cassel has all the cards, as long as he is willing to play for one year for $14M.

??.............................

Agree with everything. I'm not expecting a bounty but if Cassel countinues to play like this and improve a little throwing downfield then a #2 or, at minimum, a #3 is fully reasonable. In no way, shape or form am I expecting two #1s or the equivalent.

I'd like more than a #3......simply because if his good play continues, I believe that our comp pick would be a #3 if we merely let him walk, granted it would be at the end of the round.

I'd like more than a #3......simply because if his good play continues, I believe that our comp pick would be a #3 if we merely let him walk, granted it would be at the end of the round.
The comp pick would also be in 2010, not 2009; also comp picks are mitigated by our own FA signings of which I hope we make a couple of big ones this year. I would like to get more than a #3 too but as a worst case, I could live with it.

The comp pick would also be in 2010, not 2009; also comp picks are mitigated by our own FA signings of which I hope we make a couple of big ones this year. I would like to get more than a #3 too but as a worst case, I could live with it.

Agreed. Folks need to remember that to get Matt's cooperation (so he DOESN'T sign the deal and keep the $14M while on the bench) the Pats may well need to accept a draft pick offer that is not the best one. Cassel would probably not want to take a deal with a really lousy football organization.

Last edited:

It may be tough to make a couple big free agent signings with Cassel franchised tying up cap space.

Last edited:

All he needs to do is to sign the tender.

??.............................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back