PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lomardi says the Patriots have to franchise Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lomardi say the Patriots have to Franchise Cassel

If, by the end of the season, Cassel is indeed considered an ASSET by the Patriots braintrust they would be foolish to not do everything within their power to protect that interest. Even if it's franchising Cassel.

Let me play devil's advocate. Belichick has been known to ignore the
wishes of the fans. Suppose he knows that Cassel is the real thing.
What would the chances be that he might keep Cassel and make a
sweetheart deal for Brady? Three #1 choices and one #2 choice
from San Francisco like Chuck Fairbanks did in 1976. These
choices brought the Pats Pete Brock, Tim Fox, Ray Clayborn,
and Horace Ivory. Excuse me while I duck the mud pies.

Let me play devil's advocate. Belichick has been known to ignore the
wishes of the fans. Suppose he knows that Cassel is the real thing.
What would the chances be that he might keep Cassel and make a
sweetheart deal for Brady? Three #1 choices and one #2 choice
from San Francisco like Chuck Fairbanks did in 1976. These
choices brought the Pats Pete Brock, Tim Fox, Ray Clayborn,
and Horace Ivory. Excuse me while I duck the mud pies.

Yeah, you're about to be a target, but I definitely think this possibility cannot be totally ruled out. Very unlikely from a marketing standpoint. Faintly possible from a winning standpoint.

Yeah, you're about to be a target, but I definitely think this possibility cannot be totally ruled out. Very unlikely from a marketing standpoint. Faintly possible from a winning standpoint.

Let me rule it out for you.

I rule it out.

No way that will happen.

Good point, but the problem then becomes that all potential suitors know that the Pats must trade Cassel in order to clear the cap space. That would definitely drive the asking price down....... [snipping a lot]

I'm not sure what the front office will do with this situation, but they do have a lot to consider.

I don't think this is neccessary true if we assume that there is more than 1 team interested in Cassel as a starting quarterback and that they are willing to give up value for him. Let's look at the decision tree that starts with the Patriots deciding to franchise him:

1) Patriots need to make the decision that Cassel is worth franchising with the opportunity cost of ~13 or 14 million in hard cap space.

2) Any signed offer sheet the Pats have to make the decision that 2 1st rounds picks PLUS ~13 or 14 million in 'found' cap space is more or less valuable than Matt Cassell and whatever the matching contract looks like.

This is the hardball version of the decision tree --- now let's look at it from a softer ball decision tree. Let's introduce Team A and Team B and stipulate that there are few starting quality quarterbacks available at any given time in the league.

Both Team A and B value finding a competent starting quarterback fairly highly. The cost of a competent starting QB is at least a first round pick or 5 to 8 million per year. A rookie can not be assumed to be competent in their first season (exceptions apply). IF Both A and B decide that Cassel is their preferred alternative they know that they will each have to give something up for him in some combination of cash, cap and picks. IF Team A approaches Cassel and the Pats and say 'You agreeable to signing with us at X per year, Y Guaranteed, for Z years and we'll give the Pats 1200 points in draft value instead of the 1800 points that 2 firsts would cost us' while their maximal willingness to pay might be the same contract and 1500 points of draft value. The discount/hardball only works if Team B (all else being equal) would be willing to give Cassel the same XYZ contract and 1350 draft value points to the Pats.

In an unconstrained auction with multiple bidders, the incentive is for the bidders to go near their maximum willingness to pay in their bids. Of course, this is not a completely unconstrained auction as the Pats would probably prefer to see Cassel not on the Bills or the Jets next year.

But the ability for any team to play hardball with the Pats is limited as the Pats will have other suitors for the valuable commodity of an NFL competent and young quarterback. Yeah, the Pats will have the incentive of clearing cap room but they have a valued and short supply commodity that multiple teams will want to have access to at a reasonable price.

Maybe we technically, in terms of the math of it, we can, but in practicality, I'm not sure we can. We want to extend Wilfork, maybe Seymour, maybe Brady if he's healthy. We need to re-sign a bunch of guys, and sign rookies we'll be drafting.

I think we will know by March 1st if Brady will be 100%. That's 4 months from now, the training staff should know how his rehab is going. I think you have to take your chances with O'Connel as the primary backup.

Looking at Miguel's cap page, the Pats have 38 players signed for 2009 and roughly 25 million in projected cap space to fill out the rest of the roster. Assuming the Pats draft somewhere in the mid-20s in the first round, and that all rookies from rounds 1 through the end of 4 (up to 7 players make the team), the Pats would have 45 players signed with roughly 21 million dollars to work with. Throw in the RFA and ERFA, the Pats have a full roster with ~17 million to play with. Cassell as a franchise tender eats into the reserve and the free agent market flexibility, BUT if the Pats extend Seymour, Wilfork etc, we can project that their new deal first year cap hits will be no larger, and most likely smaller than their currently projected cap hits.

I don't understand why you don't offer Cassel a two year. $5M deal right now. If he takes it, he gets a payday, guaranteed payoff, protects himself versus injury, and probably ends up getting traded anyway. So he still gets the starting job, but locks in the $$.

I know I could have put this in a Cassel thread but . . .

The National Football Post | National Football Post Diner News

"I am convinced the Patriots will have to Franchise Matt Cassel this off season for two reasons. (1) He is a legitimate asset. He continues to improve each week and he continues to be one of the best players on the field no matter who he plays."
lol wow, that is going to hurt their cap room

If Cassel continues to play the way he played last night, then this is a realistic option. The highly optimistic amongst us seem to have made a case for this. :eek:

Again, my only point is that Cassel would NOT necessarily sign the franchise papers right away, which might give the Patriots ample opportunity to trade him away for a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Remember, putting the franchise tag on a player doesn't give you the right to trade him. It only restricts the rights of the player and other teams in that they have to pay the Patriots two 1st round draft choices if they reach an agreement with Cassel (note: not the Patriots). The Patriots have no rights to trade Cassel unless Cassel either signs the franchise offer or agrees to a trade (which is effectively signing the franchise offer).

I don't understand why you don't offer Cassel a two year. $5M deal right now. If he takes it, he gets a payday, guaranteed payoff, protects himself versus injury, and probably ends up getting traded anyway. So he still gets the starting job, but locks in the $$.

If he would take it, I'm sure that's what we would do. But Cassel isn't that stupid. 5M for two years vs 14M guaranteed for 1 year?

IMO, the time to do that was about a month ago. Right now, Cassel's value has never been higher. If he were to accept any kind of extension, it would have to be very attractive, more along the lines of $5M/yr not $5M for two.

If I were him and the Pats, I would offer him a nice one-year extension now, somewhere in the neighborhood of $5M-8M for a year.

Why would any sane person sign an offer like that at this point? As was mentioned earlier in the thread, look at the 6-year 48 million dollar contract Schaub got with the Texans...

It's debateable whether or not he's playing better than Brady did at this juncture in his STARTING career but Tom didn't have as many years in the system. One thing seems sure, he's as good or better than Palmer and Leinhart so they should find a willing team to trade if they tag him.

I'll say one thing right now . . . anyone else here think that Cassel's agent's phone has been ringing a few times today?

Remember, putting the franchise tag on a player doesn't give you the right to trade him. It only restricts the rights of the player and other teams in that they have to pay the Patriots two 1st round draft choices if they reach an agreement with Cassel (note: not the Patriots). The Patriots have no rights to trade Cassel unless Cassel either signs the franchise offer or agrees to a trade (which is effectively signing the franchise offer).

I know that. I'm talking about putting packages together to trade him. We all know how it works.

I would rather spend 14 mils for a good secondary player than give it to Cassel.

Im a huge MC fan and think he's come on great but I can just see next week he throws 2 ints, has an average game and all the chicken l's come out the woodwork again....

Think its worth remembering just how far he's come in such a short time .. do the words bear market rally mean anything to anyone:p .. sooner or later (just like a manning or a bardy or a favre) he'll have a bad day and the whole mood of the fickle fan will change ..

however where we are in this division right now we gotta go vertical and take some chances so lets see where we are in a few weeks

If he continues to be stellar I think they have no choice ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes