PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Le'Veon Bell released

Before everyone says no, he can catch passes, like maybe on third down.

Said the right thing on twitter after released.

He sucks, period. Every team that has brought him in finds this out almost instantly.

He sucks, period. Every team that has brought him in finds this out almost instantly.

I haven't watched Bell enough recently, but he must suck if teams with running back needs are cutting him.

If he could pick up a blitz that would be good enough for me.

I haven't watched Bell enough recently, but he must suck if teams with running back needs are cutting him.

If he could pick up a blitz that would be good enough for me.

They have Bolden and Johnson if it comes down to just needing blitz pick up, Bell is completely done, he’s worthless as a player at this point

They have Bolden and Johnson if it comes down to just needing blitz pick up, Bell is completely done, he’s worthless as a player at this point

Bolden yes, but Johnson is hardly a third down back.

It's a lot of reps for Bolden. They need someone better than Taylor for next man up.

He could be better than Taylor who can not pick up a blitz.

If he's not better than Taylor who is almost unplayable if counted on, then yes he's done.

"He can still play," Harbaugh said Wednesday. "We'll just see where we're at going forward. Things can turn one way or another."

"But coaches and teammates complimented Bell on his positive impact in the locker room and the way he willingly accepted a part-time role."

Ok I left out the part about no explosiveness, but why not? They might want him back. He's been a good teammate. We don't have third down back depth.

If he can pick up the blitz.....

Why's everyone so negative?

"He can still play," Harbaugh said Wednesday. "We'll just see where we're at going forward. Things can turn one way or another."

"But coaches and teammates complimented Bell on his positive impact in the locker room and the way he willingly accepted a part-time role."

Ok I left out the part about no explosiveness, but why not? They might want him back. He's been a good teammate. We don't have third down back depth.

I agree that we need an Upgrayedd to JJ, from whom I also was hoping for better things this season... Just don't know if this dude is that guy any longer...

I agree that we need an Upgrayedd to JJ, from whom I also was hoping for better things this season... Just don't know if this dude is that guy any longer...
Off topic but did you spell upgrade that way because of Idiocracy?

Hard pass
could he catch it?

Here's his 2021 with Balmer

For those too lazy to click, it's 2021 game logs. He's caught 1 pass. in light RB duty, he's averaged over 4 YPC once (5 games played). Total of 83 yards.

From 2014-2015 he averaged OVER 4.0 ypc. He declined badly by that measure in 2017 (4 years ago now, it happens fast children.) Since then, he took 2018 off so he could be famous for not playing, then in 2019, the last time he was "the man" anywhere, he sucked. In 2014, 2016, and 2017, he had 1,000 yard seasons, by dint, primarily, of getting all the carries. He has never gone over 10 rushing TD in a season.

And he did sit for a year in a contract dispute. Now, when you see that, and then see him perform really well afterwards, you maybe feel like "good for you, sticking to your guns. Maybe your contract somehow wasn't fair, whatever, glad it's resolved and you showed everybody." This guy showed nothing to anybody, ever.

We had to kick a guy off this team who was better than he is, because he was starting to get expensive. You think Le'Veon is now ready to try to contribute for league minimum? Because paying him the vet. minimum, for his production, that's like a gift. And he'd treat it like the worst thing that's ever happened.

If you want him back there as depth in a third down role to pick up the blitz, I think we might just have found the role N'Keal Harry can play. I'm all for role players, but at a certain cast size, at a certain level of limitation, you need to think about doubling.

If you want him back there as depth in a third down role to pick up the blitz, I think we might just have found the role N'Keal Harry can play. I'm all for role players, but at a certain cast size, at a certain level of limitation, you need to think about doubling.

Let me get this straight. You want Harry picking up blitzing lineman in a James White role?

When your starter is out for the season, the young backup is a bust, and you're down to third string, every team in the league would be in this position.

If there's better than Bell, I agree go for it. Adrian Peterson, who is 18/42, is an example of players available at this stage and being thrown into games. Bell would be emergency; the running back equivalent of Matt LaCosse.

Bolden is on the injury report BTW.

Let me get this straight. You want Harry picking up blitzing lineman in a James White role?
Tongue in cheek. Mainly. Point was, the idea of hiring a guy to play a 3rd down blitz pickup BACKUP role (unless we believe blitz pickup is a deficiency for all of our present backs), you have to do SOMETHING else for us. If Bell's even any good at it at this point -- everything else has fallen off.

When your starter is out for the season, the young backup is a bust, and you're down to third string, every team in the league would be in this position.

WTF are you talking about? Not the Patriots, right? You mean the position Bell came from or something? I am only responding to you here, didn't see your previous conversation, but just in case that is your take on US, the "Bust" Rhamondre just ran for 100 yards and 2 scores and Harris is a possible go for Thursday.

My guess is I must be misunderstanding who you mean, because that's not the Patriots position. But if you DO mean them... If you didn't know about Stevenson's play on Sunday, you need to watch Patriots football and then beg for what used to be Le'Veon Bell to be hired to play it.

For some reason you're fixated on Taylor not being some world-beating talent (evaluation concluded, at his 23rd year of age)? Because we need a little guy to do the pass-catching and blitz pickup, that's the rules? Maybe there's a need there, but why do you want to hire an EX-workhorse back, 6'1, 225, to play that role? If you're not fixated at Taylor, then what makes you think Rhamondre can't settle into it when Harris graduates concussion protocol?

And if you do mean the Pats, why do you believe that Harris is out for the season???

If there's better than Bell, I agree go for it. Adrian Peterson, who is 18/42, is an example of players available at this stage and being thrown into games. Bell would be emergency; the running back equivalent of Matt LaCosse.

Bolden is on the injury report BTW.
There is better than Bell. We've just discussed 4 guys, Harris, Taylor (you dont like him though, it looks like,) Stevenson (you think he's a bust?) and Bolden (who's officially questionable for a game 4 days after the last win. Not the same as out of the rotation.)

You really, really believe that RB is a chronic deficiency for this Patriots team? We did get a couple of dings. But it's basically 4 healthy backs. JJ Doesn't mean we must pick up every proven failure who falls to the ground.

Now if BB agrees to pick him up and kick the tires, by all means. Vet min. at his experience level, to me, seems like more than he's worth given his recent performances. If he's gonna just be a warm body, pay him like one. He's had problems with seeing the money situation the same way as teams he's gone to, but suuuuuuure. Maybe it will be fine.

WTF are you talking about? Not the Patriots, right? You mean the position Bell came from or something? I am only responding to you here, didn't see your previous conversation, but just in case that is your take on US, the "Bust" Rhamondre just ran for 100 yards and 2 scores and Harris is a possible go for Thursday.

My guess is I must be misunderstanding who you mean, because that's not the Patriots position. But if you DO mean them... If you didn't know about Stevenson's play on Sunday, you need to watch Patriots football and then beg for what used to be Le'Veon Bell to be hired to play it.

For some reason you're fixated on Taylor not being some world-beating talent (evaluation concluded, at his 23rd year of age)? Because we need a little guy to do the pass-catching and blitz pickup, that's the rules? Maybe there's a need there, but why do you want to hire an EX-workhorse back, 6'1, 225, to play that role? If you're not fixated at Taylor, then what makes you think Rhamondre can't settle into it when Harris graduates concussion protocol?

And if you do mean the Pats, why do you believe that Harris is out for the season???

There is better than Bell. We've just discussed 4 guys, Harris, Taylor (you dont like him though, it looks like,) Stevenson (you think he's a bust?) and Bolden (who's officially questionable for a game 4 days after the last win. Not the same as out of the rotation.)

You really, really believe that RB is a chronic deficiency for this Patriots team? We did get a couple of dings. But it's basically 4 healthy backs. JJ Doesn't mean we must pick up every proven failure who falls to the ground.

Now if BB agrees to pick him up and kick the tires, by all means. Vet min. at his experience level, to me, seems like more than he's worth given his recent performances. If he's gonna just be a warm body, pay him like one. He's had problems with seeing the money situation the same way as teams he's gone to, but suuuuuuure. Maybe it will be fine.

Taylor is a liability. He can't pick up the blitz and I don't trust him with the ball.

It speaks volumes that Taylor was many posters binky, but you are the first poster who will come to his defense after two days. Tay;or's also averaging about one yard a carry and reception.

Stephenson also has a fumbling reputation and can be a joke on the blitz. But Stephenson is an every down back, not third down.

You really don't want Harris in this role.

We're really thin.

Taylor is a liability. He can't pick up the blitz and I don't trust him with the ball.

It speaks volumes that Taylor was many posters binky, but you are the first poster who will come to his defense after two days. Tay;or's also averaging about one yard a carry and reception.
1) Never was my binky, don't think too highly of him, never was impressed, never said I was impressed. Good try with the old standby of the "I listen to talk radio" crowd, "speaks volumes." Nut uh.

I did say he's 23, a 2nd year guy. You are quicker than the Foxborough brain trust at evaluating talent when guys are still on their rookie deals, but then, you probably also have inside information that they don't have access to. Wait, that's the opposite of the case.

If BB wants to ditch Taylor, fiiiiiine. But me even SAYING his name in this conversation is a measure of how little stock I put in LeVeon Bell.

Again, if BB wants to ditch Taylor and kick the tires on Bell, huzzah! Speaking NON-sarcastically, he might have access to all sorts of good intel suggesting it's worth a flyer. I don't see great demonstrated value in Taylor, but I do see a guy who is cheap to keep and who NE apparently does not think they're ready to dump. I don't see great demonstrated value in Bell in recent years, and I do not see a guy who is cheap to keep.
Stephenson also has a fumbling reputation and can be a joke on the blitz. But Stephenson is an every down back, not third down.

You really don't want Harris in this role.

We're really thin.
Stevenson (with a v) has a "fumbling reputation"?

He fumbled once in Week 1 and they put him in New England Rookie Fumble Protocol until Week 5 against Houston. He has not fumbled since. He's an effing rookie. So his NFL "fumbling reputation" is that he fumbled that one time 10 weeks ago.

As for his blitz pickup work -- see, I'm open-minded, not just an attack dog -- show me some clips where he's been the liability. I love his game, but I never focused on that aspect, more him as a weapon. I was saying in the preseason it looked like he had all kinds of upside, but then, you mean one very specific skill. (And bear in mind, I might just be buying Stevenson at the top. Who knows. He could plummet from here on.)

As for Bell the value proposition: As late as May 28 of this year, Bell was saying the Steelers "should have paid [him] what [he] was worth when they had the chance." So putting aside that league min. for him is way higher than Taylor, whom he'd almost certainly just bump off the roster, do you think he's playing for league minimum? The rest of this argument will be about a hyopothetical, humble AF Le'veon Bell. (although he said the right things when the Ravens cut him.)

By the way, his position vis a vis Pittsburgh was that he didn't want to be paid just like the no. 1 guy at his position, he should also get no. 2 receiver money. Or some such nonsense. Clearly that's not on the table.

I mean, again, for league minimum, sure, no attachment to JJ, if the brass has none. But my gut says its a mistake. It's that "build my fantasy team from 2015" instinct, at runningback, the position where the wear and tear hits hardest. The decline is there, it's happened. Before he even proved he was worth it, given what he's proven thus far, he'd have to disprove the default assumption, which is that he's not.

Here's one quote from an article about his performance against Miami...

But Bell appeared to struggle with blitz pickups against Miami and again lacked the burst that had made him so elusive in Pittsburgh, where he had three 1,200-plus-yard rushing seasons in his first five years. His rushing yards over expected — a statistic that measures the difference between actual rushing yards and expected rushing yards — was minus-1.53 yards per carry, the lowest among Ravens running backs and one of the worst rates in the NFL.

So I mean... to say one of the guys you have "at times" was a joke in blitz pickup, and replacing him in that role with a guy most recently spotted being a joke in blitz pickup... you have to be betting that what you see ain't what you get.

I don't think you and I know what BB & co. think taylor's upside is... or whether they're just twirling their whistles around with no reason NOT to cut him (he's cheap).

I don't think you and I know any reason we would pick up Bell except for his previous abilities. But if he came as cheap as the league will allow, and BB & co. agree, I wouldn't squawk about dumping Taylor for him. I'd be astonished at dumping any of the other backs, and I am not too sure about the Taylor move. But sure, if they do it, I'm not going to ***** about how much we need JJ Taylor.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back