PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Legal Tampering Period News

Jets and Bills wont be contenders this year. I still don't see MIA as a challenge. None of the QBs in the East are any good. Until there is a good QB around. Then i will worry

We saw the gap narrow quite a bit last season, with only one team going below .500, and that was BUF at 6-10. The AFCE division was fairly competitive, even though our usual 12-4 record didn't show that due to having such a good record again.

Both Miami and the NYJ beat us, and we were damn lucky to get out of BUF alive with a 2 point win. As we know, the other NYJ game was extremely competitive as well, going down to the last drive. If you want to take it one step further, we had to make a pretty dramatic comeback in the 2nd half at home in the first MIA game, as they were completely dominating us. Last year wasn't exactly the 5-1 or 6-0 cakewalk of the past.

We may not be shaking in our boots just yet, but the possibility exists that we'll have more competition than in past seasons. There could be a wildcard team in the AFCE for sure.

We saw the gap narrow quite a bit last season, with only one team going below .500, and that was BUF at 6-10. The AFCE division was fairly competitive, even though our usual 12-4 record didn't show that due to having such a good record again.

Both Miami and the NYJ beat us, and we were damn lucky to get out of BUF alive with a 2 point win. As we know, the other NYJ game was extremely competitive as well, going down to the last drive. If you want to take it one step further, we had to make a pretty dramatic comeback in the 2nd half at home in the first MIA game, as they were completely dominating us. Last year wasn't exactly the 5-1 or 6-0 cakewalk of the past.

We may not be shaking in our boots just yet, but the possibility exists that we'll have more competition than in past seasons. There could be a wildcard team in the AFCE for sure.

Last year they started very slow. Everyone was worried about the O and they have some major issues with slow starts. I don't know if i see the same struggles this upcoming year even with the same roster (probally will be the same roster). Gronk should be ready to go from the get go. Dobson another year under his belt.

I also like the schedule this year but teams will change.

Last year they started very slow. Everyone was worried about the O and they have some major issues with slow starts. I don't know if i see the same struggles this upcoming year even with the same roster (probally will be the same roster). Gronk should be ready to go from the get go. Dobson another year under his belt.

I also like the schedule this year but teams will change.

I don't mean to act seriously concerned, because I'm not; but I wouldn't be shocked if either Miami or the NYJets made another wildcard run.

On top of that, I wouldn't be shocked to see Buffalo going .500--wait, yes I would.

EJ isn't the answer in Buff

I havent heard anything on Jones really in this thread. Maybe i missed it.

Ravens veteran free-agent defensive tackle Arthur Jones is off to a fast start leading up to the signing period that starts Tuesday.

Under NFL rules, teams are allowed to talk with players' agents in advance of Tuesday and may discuss contract parameters without formally agreeing to terms.

Jones has already drawn interest from the Green Bay Packers, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins, New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings and other NFL teams, according to league sources.

Jones has long been expected to leave the Ravens via free agency because of how expensive he would be to retain. He had 53 tackles and four sacks last season and is regarded as an ascending player who could fit into 3-4 or 4-3 defensive schemes.

Read more: Arthur Jones drawing interest from Packers, Titans, Redskins and others, sources say - baltimoresun.com

Wonder if our jones has talked to him at all or the pats regarding his brother

I don't know about you, but I was awfully disappointed in the play of Andre Carter last season.

Like you said, maybe we can get one of those vet type signings for cheaper money to rotate in with Ninkovich/Jones. On top of that, maybe Buchanon will develop.

Or Bequette...:cool:

I don't think anyone expected much from Carter, the upsetting thing is that he actually supplanted Buchanan on the depth chart. I actually liked Buchanan as a pure edge rusher early in the year, but far too often he'd take too wide of an angle and end up 10 yards behind the QB.

ProFootballCentral claims we're looking at A. Jones.

But again, I still think PFC is full of crap and another wannabe. Hard to tell. Is he a scheme fit here? Can he play inside? He's primarily a 3-4 DE, no?

Why didn't they just re-up Clemons?

This has echoes from last year when they let Dansby walk to overpay Ellerbee.
Byrd is better than Clemons, but I'm glad you brought up Dansby/Ellerbe, because they did the same thing letting Bush walk to overpay Wallace and letting Fasano walk to overpay Keller.

Byrd is better than Clemons, but I'm glad you brought up Dansby/Ellerbe, because they did the same thing letting Bush walk to overpay Wallace and letting Fasano walk to overpay Keller.

Exactly. Those are the kind of grass-is-greener moves that really condemn a team.

ProFootballCentral claims we're looking at A. Jones.

But again, I still think PFC is full of crap and another wannabe. Hard to tell. Is he a scheme fit here? Can he play inside? He's primarily a 3-4 DE, no?

His versatility to play both 30 and 40 fronts are what is supposedly making him such a hot commodity to so many teams, from what I understood.

Keller >>>> Fasano though, he had a total freak knee explosion. Not even going to attempt to make an excuse for the Wallace/Ellerbe deals though.

It would really confuse opposing team with 3 different guys named Jones on our roster. I'm good with that as long as the Pats coaching staff can handle their confusion.

Darren Sproles is going to be released. I'd rather add him than bring back Blount.

All the good/decent cBs will be gone before FA starts Logan Ryan better be ready to step up big

I hope that all the Patriot's good free agents aren't gone right after free
agency starts. They are assuming that they will check back with them
before they sign elsewhere.

Darren Sproles is going to be released. I'd rather add him than bring back Blount.

I like Sproles, but figure he'll probably be costly in comparison to other RB's. I think there are probably too many other teams out there who dream of making their QB more Breesain by signing the guy to a significant contract.

I like Sproles, but figure he'll probably be costly in comparison to other RB's. I think there are probably too many other teams out there who dream of making their QB more Breesain by signing the guy to a significant contract.

That's probably true, and a healthy Vereen is probably better than Sproles (who saw his playing time and production decrease each of the last two years) at this point in their careers. Key word is healthy, of course.

Right because we are all set with dobson and thomlpkins

Cousin. I first saw this and did not pick up on the sarcasm. Dobson and Thompkins are #2 and #3 type guys (maybe #4). In 2013 I did not see anything from these guys that would indicate that Rache Caldwell could not beat them out.
Let's go truth. BB can NOT draft a WR. It can't be all that much of brain surgery. I suggest this:

1-He is obviously looking for a certain something in his Draftable WR criteria that does NOT translate well to the NFL. He is not infallible

2- He is listened to too many other NFL "scholars" who say you can wait until the later rounds to pick up a WR.

3-His multiple down trades walk past the best WRs

4-He feel TB can turn any rookie WR into a solid NFL player like he did Givens, who when he left here was done (injury yes)

5-He is way better a finding veteran WR in trade and FA and may use a different evaluation format that works. Ya....... I know. Jenkins, Joey Galloway, and Ocho were at the end, but Moss and Welker worked well. David Patton was not bad. Jabar Gaffney was serviceable. Stallworth contributed. Even Austin Collie had a few good catches for important first downs. If not overthrown by Brady, that play in the AFC game could have changed the outcome. I don't know yet if Amendola was a complete failure. He still had 54 grabs which would have been tops on many Teams at WR. Riley Cooper, who many of us would have liked, had 47. Dwayne Bowe had 57 and he started 3 more games.

I like the Trade route. Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson* and a very under the radar move for Justin Blackmon. What is the cost of those first two.

I would consider Nicks as a cheaper deal than Decker. If Kenny Britt (Rutgers!!!!)wasn't such a cement head he might have the most talent (he should be a fire sale!!!)

* I still like my GM special:
Mallett, Amendola and Tavon Wilson (they need a Safety and Tavon needs a new address) and our #1 pick, for Andre Johnson and the Texans second (#33).
CAP on Johnson is about $10mm which is what Decker wants or will be near. In 2015 Johnson has a $15mm CAP number. The Texans need him gone or restructured and at 33, the Pats can have Andre Johnson and Brady for two more solid seasons or more. Good trade for both Teams.

DW Toys

Yea I'm sure GMs are knocking down the door for a chance to trade for Tavon Wilson

Thompkins is probably no better than a #4, but don't give up on Dobson. He improved over the course of the year, and if he proves he can hold onto the football more reliably he could very well be a very good WR this year and down the road. Judging a player based on their production as a rookie is a mistake.

Keller >>>> Fasano though, he had a total freak knee explosion. Not even going to attempt to make an excuse for the Wallace/Ellerbe deals though.
I don't know about that. Fasano is completely unspectacular, but I think I'd rather have him. That said, both guys are stopgaps until you can find somebody better.

Blount could end up being super cheap if the RB market fails to develop. I'd sign both if they both came at bargain prices. Bolden could either be stashed on IR, or maybe somebody would give a 6th rounder for him?

I agree.

I would note that it is fine if our UDFA is a 4th or 5th WR.

Thompkins is probably no better than a #4, but don't give up on Dobson.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back