PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Legal Tampering Period News

Okay, I'll be fair. He was truly awful with the Eagles, had one good season with the Cardinals before falling apart, and was passable if unspectacular last season with the Broncos. He's a huge gamble, and he's completely lackluster in run support.

But then look at Vontae Davis. Lots of mediocre corners getting huge deals right now.

Yeah, if you'd have said last year that Vontae Davis had gotten anywhere close to the deal that he'll get, we'd all have laughed.

I expected the CB market to bounce back up to about 7.5--8 million after a bit of a down year, just due to the increase in cap space alone. I did not expect it to go back up to stupid numbers for mediocre to good CBs, and that appears to be what's going on.

All the good/decent cBs will be gone before FA starts Logan Ryan better be ready to step up big

I expect that by "good/decent" you mean potential all-pro or a player who is arguably not a downgrade from Talib.

All the good/decent cBs will be gone before FA starts Logan Ryan better be ready to step up big

That makes lot of sense, I think.

Someone else around here was pretty high on Dietrich-Smith, but I can't think of who it may have been.

That was me. He plays both guard slots and center, so it makes sense. My one worry was SSS (small sample size) at center, and Rogers is so mobile you really have to look closely at his tape. Still, with Mack and Dela Puenta and then Saffold sucking all the oxygen out, he looked like he could be a steal.

I don't trust that site at all, however. Not sure that Packers are letting him even get to FA, and I haven't heard them connected to Melton at all - if they were going to pay that kind of money, they'd be better off looking at Houston.

Dolphins interested in Byrd. They have lots of $$ for more horrid contracts

Dolphins interested in Byrd. They have lots of $$ for more horrid contracts

Why didn't they just re-up Clemons?

This has echoes from last year when they let Dansby walk to overpay Ellerbee.

Dolphins "expressing real interest" in Byrd, who is seeking 10m/yr.

Bronco's confirmed as a team in the race for TJ Ward.

Ok Bill any minute now.
Get on the phones And make something happen.
Can't let Denver and Miami strengthen while we stay Pat.
Pun intended.

Ok Bill any minute now.
Pun intended.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Belichick's normal pattern is to wait until the market thins out and decent value can be had, although I'd have to imagine that we'll be in the hunt for at least ONE player who has a "name" somewhere early on (or at least rumored to be).

DEN and MIA may very well strengthen themselves while NE stands pat, due to one team having a small window with Manning, and the other needing to continue to rebuild. That doesn't mean that they won't pay the price for some of their moves though.

I agree 100%, although we can hope for Allen.

The only realistic possibility for the first week is the re-signing of a couple of our own. Blount seems most likely.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Belichick's normal pattern is to wait until the market thins out and decent value can be had, although I'd have to imagine that we'll be in the hunt for at least ONE player who has a "name" somewhere early on (or at least rumored to be).

DEN and MIA may very well strengthen themselves while NE stands pat, due to one team having a small window with Manning, and the other needing to continue to rebuild. That doesn't mean that they won't pay the price for some of their moves though.

Jets interested in SS Donte Whitner and RB Maurice Jones-Drew

Bears likely top team to sign Bennett... First it was Peppers now Bennett.

Would of looked nice DE duo with jones and Bennett.

Bennett's gonna get paid. Won't matter, though. That Bear's D is still going to suck.

Bears likely top team to sign Bennett... First it was Peppers now Bennett.

Would of looked nice DE duo with jones and Bennett.

Bennet was always well out of our price range IMO, same for Johnson. If the Bears go ahead and cut Peppers, he might be a nice addition for the "old vet" role we always have. He's gotta still be better than Carter and he'd hopefully play only 1/3 of the snaps.

He's gotta still be better than Carter and he'd hopefully play only 1/3 of the snaps.

I don't know about you, but I was awfully disappointed in the play of Andre Carter last season.

Like you said, maybe we can get one of those vet type signings for cheaper money to rotate in with Ninkovich/Jones. On top of that, maybe Buchanon will develop.

Or Bequette...:cool:

Jets interested in SS Donte Whitner and RB Maurice Jones-Drew

I would've liked to explore the possibility of Whitner here. He won't cost as much as the top 2 in Byrd/Ward, and he'd still instantly improve the position.

It doesn't sound like we're in the mix for any bigger moves like that though. Even though they are tight lipped, one would think that a leak or two would occur at some point. So far there's been nothing at all.

Why didn't they just re-up Clemons?

Would he be any possibility to come here in your opinion?

The position of safety seems too weak depth-wise to simply hope for a high draft pick. I think they may have to use the old 2 pronged approach and address it through both avenues.

Ok Bill any minute now.

Pun intended.

Pats always wait to sign their players. They dont go out and get the first batch of players.

Remeber how the dolphkns "won" the offseason last year? How did that work out for them? These teams that go out and win FA...usually don't make a dent come playoffs.

The pats may stand pat ad S and CB. At least through FA. Who knows

Pats always wait to sign their players. They dont go out and get the first batch of players.

Remeber how the dolphkns "won" the offseason last year? How did that work out for them? These teams that go out and win FA...usually don't make a dent come playoffs.

The pats may stand pat ad S and CB. At least through FA. Who knows

"Who knows" is probably the winning phrase when it comes to trying to predict anything whatsoever about Belichick or his team.

I can't really blame Miami though, aside from maybe some dumb moves like giving Mike Wallace all of that money (and Ellerbe, who I thought was terribly overrated for that kind of money). They have sufficient cap space, and were a contender until the very end last year in week 17. They may continue to take another step forward, they may not, but at least they are addressing some positions.

I could be wrong, but I'm seeing the division of the AFCE as becoming more competitive.

"Who knows" is probably the winning phrase when it comes to trying to predict anything whatsoever about Belichick or his team.

I can't really blame Miami though, aside from maybe some dumb moves like giving Mike Wallace all of that money (and Ellerbe, who I thought was terribly overrated for that kind of money). They have sufficient cap space, and were a contender until the very end last year in week 17. They may continue to take another step forward, they may not, but at least they are addressing some positions.

I could be wrong, but I'm seeing the division of the AFCE as becoming more competitive.

Jets and Bills wont be contenders this year. I still don't see MIA as a challenge. None of the QBs in the East are any good. Until there is a good QB around. Then i will worry

Pats will worry about their own guys before FA. And they got a bunch of work to do with Edelman. Wilfork ect

We all want the shiny new car in the garage. But this year we may see the dependable accord in the driveway again.

I think their biggest move will come from a trade...but who? Again who knows

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back