PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle

Becton is youngish (24) and may still have some upside. Considering we’re going to be awful this year anyway, we might as well take a shot at someone like him. Maybe, he can be coached up.
Feels like he just needs to stay lean and healthy. That, of course, is much easier said than done for an NFL tackle with weight issues. But at this point, what choice do we really have? The team has added virtually nothing to a four win core and we have to start taking swings or else we would need 5 pro bowlers from this draft just to be competitive

Throw the bag at Oli Udoh... let's go.
Cousin,
A sleeper at LT. Andrus Peat would up as the best LT for the Saints last season switching form Guard (2 sacks) and he played well. He shows up as a FA guard.
30 years old and he can kick into guard.

"Penning was benched going into a Week 7 game against Jacksonville. Surprisingly, Peat would get the starting nod at the spot. It was a job that he would not relinquish for the rest of the year. Along the way, he'd also play in 16 games, the most of his nine-year career.

With Peat at left tackle over the last 11 games, the Saints showed significant improvement up front. Over that span, New Orleans averaged 27 points, 357 yards, 106 rushing yards with a 3.8 average, and gave up 15 sacks. While certainly not a long-term answer at left tackle, Peat's presence solidified the offensive line over the last three quarters of the year. "

DW Toys

Cousin,
A sleeper at LT. Andrus Peat would up as the best LT for the Saints last season switching form Guard (2 sacks) and he played well. He shows up as a FA guard.
30 years old and he can kick into guard.

"Penning was benched going into a Week 7 game against Jacksonville. Surprisingly, Peat would get the starting nod at the spot. It was a job that he would not relinquish for the rest of the year. Along the way, he'd also play in 16 games, the most of his nine-year career.

With Peat at left tackle over the last 11 games, the Saints showed significant improvement up front. Over that span, New Orleans averaged 27 points, 357 yards, 106 rushing yards with a 3.8 average, and gave up 15 sacks. While certainly not a long-term answer at left tackle, Peat's presence solidified the offensive line over the last three quarters of the year. "

DW Toys
I tried to find guys under thirty years old, but Peat would be an excellent signing as well.

He’s in there, actually, he’s my preferred guy. Young, hasn’t been given an opportunity really. Kind of a lottery ticket that could pay off big.

Josh Jones is my preferred option as well as a vet LT option. He's kinda flown under the radar this FA period as he's not as much of a household name as a Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams.

Only 26 years old, has roughly 1.5 seasons starting experience from his time with the Cardinals and had a real solid year in 2022. Arizona then traded him to Texans for the 2023 season after drafting Paris Johnson 6th overall. He was behind Laremy Tunsil in Houston who is a very good player in his own right, but that also means that Jones didn't get much of a chance last year to continue building on his upward trajectory.

I think there's definitely some upside there and he should come at a reasonable cost. Ideally, it would be nice to get him on a 1-2 year deal. There's no guarantee it works out, but one of the few options still available that has the potential to be a legit dependable starter and also give us flexibility to address OT on day 2 of the draft.

Titans cut Andre Dillard 2 days ago... We tried to land him a year or two ago... No the greatest but would be an upgrade over the nothing burger we currently have in place

A trade down seems like a given at this point. I was thinking Nix would be the target, but you bring up an interesting point about setting the stage for a lefty QB.

Maybe the plan is Penix at 11, a WR at 23, and RT at 34.

Taking Penix at 11 would be Special Olympics Teams-sized stupid.

Josh Jones is my preferred option as well as a vet LT option. He's kinda flown under the radar this FA period as he's not as much of a household name as a Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams.

Only 26 years old, has roughly 1.5 seasons starting experience from his time with the Cardinals and had a real solid year in 2022. Arizona then traded him to Texans for the 2023 season after drafting Paris Johnson 6th overall. He was behind Laremy Tunsil in Houston who is a very good player in his own right, but that also means that Jones didn't get much of a chance last year to continue building on his upward trajectory.

I think there's definitely some upside there and he should come at a reasonable cost. Ideally, it would be nice to get him on a 1-2 year deal. There's no guarantee it works out, but one of the few options still available that has the potential to be a legit dependable starter and also give us flexibility to address OT on day 2 of the draft.
They have the cap $ to easily do something like this now and not meaningfully impact their future cap

A trade down seems like a given at this point. I was thinking Nix would be the target, but you bring up an interesting point about setting the stage for a lefty QB.

Maybe the plan is Penix at 11, a WR at 23, and RT at 34.
Not sure why a trade down seems like a given. The Vikings could just as easily trade with the Commanders or Chargers. I think the whole trade down idea and taking a QB is FF infecting people’s brains. If you think there is a guy who will start during his cheap rookie deal annd earn a second contract as a starting QB on your team at 3, you simply take him. You don’t trade back, hope you get him, and risk someone else taking him. People trade up to get a QB. If you don’t feel like there is a legitimate QB you believe in, you just don’t draft one as a first round pick.

There are very few successful first round QB’s taken after pick 10: Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, and probably Jordan Love. Most come early, with peppered success and a very low hit rate in later rounds.

They have the cap $ to easily do something like this now and not meaningfully impact their future cap
For sure, if the front office identifies the player and makes a fair, market-value offer, it's easily doable without affecting the cap situation going forward.

Both Oli Udoh (27 years old, 18 career starts) and Yosh Nijman (28 years old, 22 career starts) signed today. Once the details of those deals are released, it should give a good idea of how much a guy like Josh Jones will go for. I'd guess it would take somewhere in the $5-7M AAV range and there's always the possibility of throwing in some playing time incentives that can increase the value of the deal based on number of starts or % of snaps played. There's plenty of cap space available to make a move like this and not hinder our ability to continue adding to the team this year and in the future.

The more mock draft simulations I do, the more the difficult decision to be made at 34 between WR and OT comes into focus.

I tend to lean WR as I think things drop off after the top of the second round.

Becton is youngish (24) and may still have some upside. Considering we’re going to be awful this year anyway, we might as well take a shot at someone like him. Maybe, he can be coached up.
Becton seems like Trent Brown 2.0. Plenty of talent but a lazy pain in the ass.

Who needs a left tackle if another top 3 pick is the organization's goal? Calling a 2-15 season.

That’s a little generous. Jones ended the season as the Texans’ #4 tackle behind Tunsil, Fant, and Heck. He was a healthy inactive in weeks 16 and 17.

We definitely have a plan to get Biscuit carted off.

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back